The Dark Knight

-Why does the Joker give multiple reasons for his facial scars?

this was probably one of my favorite bits to the movie. it definitely made the joker more enigmatic. nolan would have meant for the joker to be this absolute evil that simply exists. knowing the real origin of the joker would totally strip the image of him as being as the serpent in the tree.

who else felt bummed when the joker said

"i think you and i will be doing this forever."

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I really didn't like Begins. I feel like it was because the villain wasn't as good, however, the Joker is fucked up and I feel like he was what made this movie really great.

So, to sum it up, the best movies have the most fucked up villains. And pencil tricks.

Exactly. I just didn't care that she was blown up. It has nothing to do with her looks, but everything to do with her personality. I just wasn't buying it. She's a huge step up from Katie Holmes, but I would've preferred someone else.

personally i would've preferred someone who looked less like a man who hasn't washed his face in months but that's just me!

this was probably one of my favorite bits to the movie. it definitely made the joker more enigmatic. nolan would have meant for the joker to be this absolute evil that simply exists. knowing the real origin of the joker would totally strip the image of him as being as the serpent in the tree.

who else felt bummed when the joker said

"i think you and i will be doing this forever."

he lies to everyone. Tells the mob he's going to kill batman, tells batman, he's not going to kill him. Says he never plans anything, yet has two men ready to take down a helicopter with rope? His thoughts are in chaos. Nothing with him is set.

he lies to everyone. Tells the mob he's going to kill batman, tells batman, he's not going to kill him. Says he never plans anything, yet has two men ready to take down a helicopter with rope? His thoughts are in chaos. Nothing with him is set.

Nah. He wanted to kill Bats but decided not to because life wont' be fun with him dead.

.... I can't think of any big name actor who would have been able to the play the role as well as he did.

Had someone said this a year ago about Nicholson's take, I would not have even considered Ledger at all credible to play this role. Thats what made Ledger's preformance so great. He came out of nowhere with it, bested the previous bench mark (my opinion), and took it in another direction.

Given that, you could argue that any solid actor could have done just as an amazing turn as The Joker.

****************SPOILERS****************

DO NOT CONTINUE READING IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE!!

I have a few questions...

-How does the Joker get out of the holding cell?

-Does the Joker tell Batman the opposite of where Rachel and Dent are, or does Batman really intend to rescue Dent?

-Is Dent dead?

-Did Batman know Gordon wasn't really dead?

-How did no one else notice that the Joker was posing as a cop during comissioner Loeb's funeral/wake thing? I mean, his face is pretty recognizable.

-How was the Joker able to rig up explosives in that hospital? Come on!

-Why does the Joker give multiple reasons for his facial scars?

Anyway what a great movie! I think my favorite scene is when the Joker is hanging out of the cop car. I wasn't a big fan of Maggie Gyllenhaal's performance, but that's my only complaint. The opening scene was fantastic and really set the tone for the whole movie. I loved how Nolan stayed true to the comic book. I want to know about the Joker's background - why he's deranged, deformed, and murderous, but I think not knowing makes his character more mysterious and ultimately better.

I think they'll make a third Batman. Just not sure what direction they'll go with it now. The Dark Knight is going to kill at the box office. No way the studio execs are going to turn down what could be another $1 billion in box office revenue.

Here's one more question, who flew the batplane over hong kong? I mean he needed someone reliable who can fly the plane at the exact moment to extricate him and Li.

Joker with his head out of car? That was supposed to copy a scene from another movie. Cant remember which one.

Nolan must have scripted the craziest supervillian of all time. Give him and his brother credit for that, regardless of how good Heath is. The movie was so crazy, towards the end I thought Nolan was going to get Gordon's kid killed. Probably a first for a summer blockbluster: having a kid offed. I dont recall Gordon having a son in the comics.

Think Fox's speech about no way one person having too much power is a dig at Dubya and the eavesdropping and to Batman's OMAC and stupid satellite in the comics.

DK is already killing in the box office. But it is a very very dark and bleak movie.

And way superior to Spiderman II.

Given that, you could argue that any solid actor could have done just as an amazing turn as The Joker.

True but Jack is abit old to do the role. He is mad to moan about another younger actor being given a make it or break it opportunity.

Nah. He wanted to kill Bats but decided not to because life wont' be fun with him dead.

everything joker does is deliberate. his escape plan involving the bomb in the inmate is based on the fact that joker knew the cops would ignore and abuse the prisoner. If they had just listened, the plan would not have worked. Joker played them all like a string. No matter what joker says, he is just as deliberate as batman.

everything joker does is deliberate. his escape plan involving the bomb in the inmate is based on the fact that joker knew the cops would ignore and abuse the prisoner. If they had just listened, the plan would not have worked. Joker played them all like a string. No matter what joker says, he is just as deliberate as batman.

True. Just like his elaborate scheme in making 2 ferries bomb one another.

Guess this was Nolan's way of explaining the never ending dance between Bats and Joker. Bats wont kill him due to his principles and Joker wont kill him due to the fun.

Joker's point about pushing one man (Dent) to the brink to see what will happen is Alan Moore's point in Killing Joke where Joker crippled Gordon's daughter to see what will make a normal man break.

I'm confused? I don't think it matters whether or not Joker was deliberate. His character represented chaos, therefore his entire shtick was to play that up. Ledger played it right and sold his character's motivation (or lackthereof)…of course the Joker planned his attacks…otherwise this movie would have blown asshole chunks.

Who cares? There is a method to his madness.

He goes all out to get the money and when it does, he burns it all up.

He goes all out to kill Bats but decide to let him live.

I think it plays on the fact that Batman and the Joker are the same, except in different extremes. Law and Chaos.

In terms of morality, Batman is tried to stem the present evil of society, stand against it. Joker is just rolling with it. There's so many levels to the conflict, which is why I love the movie.

For a third movie, I think they should just chill a bit and then Nolan could do an interpretation of the Dark Knight Returns. Because the ideas contained there would have the strength and impact to follow what transpires in this movie.

ALSO SPOILERS

was anyone else not thrilled with the ending of this film? batman becoming a true villain in the eyes of the public seemed really unncessary. . .they could've pinned the murders of the mobster / crooked cops on any other criminal in the city, or even on the joker himself. . .not sure why they chose to go the way that they did, and you've got to wonder how they'll continue with the upcoming movies (that they'll undoubtedly make) now that the bat-signal has been destroyed and gordon is to sever his ties with him...

I think it plays on the fact that Batman and the Joker are the same, except in different extremes. Law and Chaos.

In terms of morality, Batman is tried to stem the present evil of society, stand against it. Joker is just rolling with it. There's so many levels to the conflict, which is why I love the movie.

For a third movie, I think they should just chill a bit and then Nolan could do an interpretation of the Dark Knight Returns. Because the ideas contained there would have the strength and impact to follow what transpires in this movie.

In DK, Joker forced Bats to break his rules to finally get the better of Joker. And Wayne have to examine what he has created, all the vigilantes, all the law breakers etc. Not unlike how US created the Talibans which turn against US. Maybe Joker is a Bats fanatic like those marks who dress like him?

By doing DK Returns, that will be killing off the franchise because Bats will be so old. Doubt Warner would allow Nolan to do that. Maybe they will do Bats v Superman since there was talk long time ago that will happen.

True but Jack is abit old to do the role. He is mad to moan about another younger actor being given a make it or break it opportunity.

Wasnt saying he should have reprised the role. I was just making the point that any actor could have had the opportunity to perform the role well this time and that prior to seeing the film (or reading the reviews of the past month), I dont think anybody would have thrown Ledgers name into the hat of "who will be an amazing Joker" before any other actor.

Wasnt saying he should have reprised the role. I was just making the point that any actor could have had the opportunity to perform the role well this time and that prior to seeing the film (or reading the reviews of the past month), I dont think anybody would have thrown Ledgers name into the hat of "who will be an amazing Joker" before any other actor.

Well, Dont know whether Nolan was preescient but Eckhart on Leno was saying how Ledger was a live wire on the set raising everybody to a different level. Dont know whether he was saying that because Ledger died.

Anyway I thought Joker was to be an important part in the next movie for the development of 2 Face? Surprised to see 2 Face in DK. I wonder is this a reverse of Superman I. In Superman I, Richard Donner actually shot 2 movies at the same time and edited the ending of Superman II into Superman I.

Was DK supposed to be so long?

ALSO SPOILERS

was anyone else not thrilled with the ending of this film? batman becoming a true villain in the eyes of the public seemed really unncessary. . .they could've pinned the murders of the mobster / crooked cops on any other criminal in the city, or even on the joker himself. . .not sure why they chose to go the way that they did, and you've got to wonder how they'll continue with the upcoming movies (that they'll undoubtedly make) now that the bat-signal has been destroyed and gordon is to sever his ties with him...

It would not be effective to pin the crimes on a fragile accusation of joker or his henchmen. As for Dent, Batman runs, Joker is on a literal leash (playing on the dog motif), and the SWAT team is already busting in at the end. Dent's corpse (or not corpse depending on the ambiguity) is just going to be ignored? Gordon is going to go "joker did it?" The funeral scene could be interpreted as something akin to 25th hour's ending. Its imaginary. A proposed future.

Pinning it on batman is the strongest construct they would make, and also it ties in to escalation. The word is out there now that Batman is a killer, and criminals have reason to fear him again. Also, making him a full on outlaw is in line with the comics.

In DK, Joker forced Bats to break his rules to finally get the better of Joker. And Wayne have to examine what he has created, all the vigilantes, all the law breakers etc. Not unlike how US created the Talibans which turn against US. Maybe Joker is a Bats fanatic like those marks who dress like him?

In this movie, Bats crossed the line by becoming absolute law with the big brother sonar construct.

And it's not even a question that Joker is a bats fanatic. in this words, "You complete me."

edit: and if you're unsure about an old batman, I'm sure Nolan could adjust the ideas and scale of dark knight returns. I just think that if they want to go with outlaw batman, it would be the best direction to go.

And it's not even a question that Joker is a bats fanatic. in this words, "You complete me."

FYI that line was uttered by Joker to Bats in the animated Bats v Dracula years ago.

Watching that actually wasnt an insult to one's intelligence and waste of one's time.

Rachel is made up for the movies...

just watch this interview maggie g says it herself

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=176797&title=maggie-gyllenhaal

well Rachel wasn't that very prominent in the comic series either, so i guess they got that on point. Although she was THEEE Batman's lover, she dies in the comic series so she has to go at one point. Don't get me wrong, Katie is pretty, but it's just one of those actresses/actors that are famous/prominent now because of their beauty.

As of now, i am still buzzed. I am just kinda heart felt for Heath Ledger. For me,I wish he was still alive cause I really wanted to see more of him.

Had someone said this a year ago about Nicholson's take, I would not have even considered Ledger at all credible to play this role. Thats what made Ledger's preformance so great. He came out of nowhere with it, bested the previous bench mark (my opinion), and took it in another direction.

But I really can't think of anyone who could've played the role as well as Ledger did. Who would have been able to do such a good job? Depp, DiCaprio? Nah, they wouldn't have worked. I think all the other good, big name actors out there wouldn't have been able to lose themselves in the role like Ledger did.

Here's one more question, who flew the batplane over hong kong? I mean he needed someone reliable who can fly the plane at the exact moment to extricate him and Li.

Think Fox's speech about no way one person having too much power is a dig at Dubya and the eavesdropping and to Batman's OMAC and stupid satellite in the comics.

Alfred and Wayne were talking about hiring someone to fly in under the radar to get Lau. I forget exactly who they hired.

And I think Fox's speech is a definite reference to Bush/NSA.

But I really can't think of anyone who could've played the role as well as Ledger did. Who would have been able to do such a good job? Depp, DiCaprio? Nah, they wouldn't have worked. I think all the other good, big name actors out there wouldn't have been able to lose themselves in the role like Ledger did.

we only say this because we saw ledger in the role, and no one else...I'm certain other's could've done as well, but we didn't see them given the opportunity. I mean, ledger was amazing, but I think the joker speaks as loudly about the direction/scripting of this film.

^i think like 1/2 the movie was a stab at the current state of affairs, and was bordering on preachy (not necessarily a bad thing, they did it in a subtle way). joker's speeches to batman and dent definitely poked at how much faith and trust we put in the police and government, and how corruptible misleading and full of shit they can be.

DiCaprio is plausible. His characters are always believable. He played Jim Carrol and I bought it. Not to take two actors from the same movie but under different circumstances both Bale and Oldman both have the ability to immerse themselves in charactors like Ledger did.

The point was that we could be toting anybody right now. In my opinion, Ledger is now hands down the best Joker, but prior to the performance there was nothing that indicated that this would be the case. So anybody had the potential to play this role just as well.

we only say this because we saw ledger in the role, and no one else...I'm certain other's could've done as well, but we didn't see them given the opportunity. I mean, ledger was amazing, but I think the joker speaks as loudly about the direction/scripting of this film.

not only did ledger fit the part almost perfectly, he fully emerged himself in the part and executed it flawlessly. he brought to life what the joker was meant to be, not some gimmicky prankster like from some of the comics in the 80s and the movies prior to this. i really don't agree that another actor could have fit the role nearly as well.