HARDCORE SAVED MY LIFE

• 1 month later...

my friend lived with ray for a few months and we were staying with him once, he's like "we used to have a nice tv in here but i think my roommate sold it for heroin or something" and we kept cracking jokes like "you guys wanna watch some tv?" but it turns out ray just put the tv in his room and they never bothered to even look in there. good band backed hard

Edited by sean_

• 5 weeks later...

Hardcore has saved my life over and over.  

I started a blog this summer as I recover from my second stem cell transplant as I fight Stage 4 Hodgkins Lymphoma.  The emphasis is on hardcore punk and how it relates to my life....there are several posts dedicated to specific bands, records, etc, as well as more traditional updates.  My recovery is prolonged....I had to leave my band while I deal with all the restrictions that come with transplant recovery.  My blog's become a way to keep in touch with the rest of the world that continues to spin without me.

www.remissionimpossible.com will take you to the most recent post, but you can skip around and read about my medicine-induced dreams, paintings I've started doing, posts on bands like Reagan Youth and DFL, and so on.  

Last night I posted the first installment in a series I plan to revisit every so often: melodic moments in hardcore punk. I'd appreciate anyone checking it out and sharing it around if they enjoy it!  Thanks so much.  Hope everyone's well

Edited by HGS

some nice reading material, best of luck to your recovery man

Thank you!  actually just updated with a quick post with some general updates, funny stories from the week, interspersed with some comedy clips, after my more involved post from a few nights ago.  thanks to everyone who has checked it out, I really appreciate it and I look forward to talking about hardcore here too.

Edited by HGS

• 3 weeks later...

turnstile tomorrow in San Antonio.

i'm one 40 deep i apologize for abruptly coming in and not really looking at previous posts but 

YO can we all here share some of the first bands that got us into hardcore and how immersing yourself into the scene has affected your life?

i see the post by HGS a few up and (first of all, holy fucking shit, you are strong as hell man and i wish you the best brightest STRONGEST future) and i got to thinking "well i know hardcore hasn't just saved my life, who the fuck else has this shit touched?"

so can we do a whole bit on what hardcore means to you, who you listen to, what got you into it, and what your intentions with the scene are (ex. just going to shows, in a band, hang out with dudes in bands, anarchist by nature, ecopunk, etc.)

i'll do one when i see it's actually started. i really am curious to see what this side of sufu has to say/think about this culture.

YO can we all here share some of the first bands that got us into hardcore and how immersing yourself into the scene has affected your life?

i'll start. i was a metal kid throughout middle school and high school, but i think the turning point was when i went to the gilman for the first time. i was completely taken aback from the sense of community and the camaraderie which i felt was always a bit lacking in the metal scene. after that it was just getting into the whole bay area scene, going to countless shows, meeting lifelong friends, playing in bands, getting through tough times through the music, and just having fun. it's definitely not as big a part of my life now, but i'm a hardcore kid at heart and go to the occasional show. 

i still look back on the time period and the amazing bands that i was able to see in that time period (allegiance, killing the dream, ceremony, life long tragedy, go it alone) and still count them as some of my best memories. 

i was also really into metal / metalcore in middle school. a life once lost / darkest hour and shit as well as iron maiden and all those types of bands. some acquaintances introduced me to a few odd punk bands like the casualties and what not which is when i began exploring more punk stuff.

when i discovered minor threat though is when i really got into that fast punk sound and prototypical hardcore lyricism. gorilla biscuits became my favorite band of all time and seeing them live during their reunion tour in 06 really solidified my interest in hardcore. i was "straight edge" for a time, but i wouldn't really count it because i was too young for that shit to make a difference anyways. like julian, hardcore shows through highschool and early college remain as some of the funnest times in my life.

i was into death/black metal in high school, had ratty hair and regularly wore xl tool tees. at the end of 2003 i saw a local show with metalcore bands day of contempt/i killed the prom queen/parkway drive and quickly i had a black fringe/white belt which then progressed into a bane tee and camo shorts. i'm pretty sure the first hardcore record i ever bought was destroy the machines by earth crisis or something by american nightmare. ironically, an were the first american hc band i ever saw (and they broke up about a month after their australian tour) and ec introduced me to straight edge. i guess out of everything i saw my favourite show would have been champion/internal affairs/betrayed in melbourne '05 which i travelled for. although i completely dropped out of hc about 3ish years ago now, i'm still edge (ten years in january) and look back at those days when hc was my entire life with fond memories.

Edited by conqueror

Well it looks like a lot of people are following a similar path haha.  Started with death metal n stuff in middle school then got really into metalcore and that whole scene in highschool.  Went to a shitload of shows, couldn't get enough breakdowns, and moshed my heart out.  Towards the end I started listening to more "hardcore" sounding music, bought a lot CDs from eulogy records, I was really into Set Your Goals and some bands like that.

Started listening to more hardcore stuff in college and met up with Fang as we were pretty much the only kids listening to hardcore.  Went to a lot of shows, energy was waaaaaaaayyyyyy better than all those metalcore shows I used to go to.  Some highlights were Sound and Fury a few times, we were there for the motorcycle debalce.

Some of the best shows for me was seeing Comeback Kid earlier this year playing songs off their first two albums and seeing Converge for the first time last year after waiting since highschool.

Still go to what shows I can.  I don't keep up with many of the newer bands and stuff they put out.  Just most of the bands I started listening to a few years ago.

i was into death/black metal in high school, had ratty hair and regularly wore xl tool tees. at the end of 2003 i saw a local show with metalcore bands day of contempt/i killed the prom queen/parkway drive and quickly i had a black fringe/white belt which then progressed into a bane tee and camo shorts. i'm pretty sure the first hardcore record i ever bought was destroy the machines by earth crisis or something by american nightmare. ironically, an were the first american hc band i ever saw (and they broke up about a month after their australian tour) and ec introduced me to straight edge. i guess out of everything i saw my favourite show would have been champion/internal affairs/betrayed in melbourne '05 which i travelled for. although i completely dropped out of hc about 3ish years ago now, i'm still edge (ten years in january) and look back at those days when hc was my entire life with fond memories.

i was also really into metal / metalcore in middle school. a life once lost / darkest hour and shit as well as iron maiden and all those types of bands. some acquaintances introduced me to a few odd punk bands like the casualties and what not which is when i began exploring more punk stuff.

when i discovered minor threat though is when i really got into that fast punk sound and prototypical hardcore lyricism. gorilla biscuits became my favorite band of all time and seeing them live during their reunion tour in 06 really solidified my interest in hardcore. i was "straight edge" for a time, but i wouldn't really count it because i was too young for that shit to make a difference anyways. like julian, hardcore shows through highschool and early college remain as some of the funnest times in my life.

i think i negged you guys, my bad - i was so excited to read the replies i tried to rep them all really fast and didn't realize you only get one vote.

i want to say also that it's really cool getting to share this insight, it provides some context for the group. this turned out better than i anticipated. 

anyway, it's really interesting to see this metal to punk trend - i definitely went through a very similar transition.

middle school i listened to system of a down, rage, sum41, limp bizkit, 8th grade started listening to my chemical romance and muse and slipknot, 9th grade picked up a sounds of the underground 2006 (watched a shitload of headbangers ball and fuse and got most if not all of my bands from these programs) and got really REALLY into metal and started wearing jnco (lol)

10th grade started playing guitar and listening to shit like children of bodom, in flames, between the buried and me (as well as classics like 80s metallica and maiden), got deeper into metal (while still listening to shit like the used and underoath) and wore skinny jeans painted my nails black shit load of wallet chains straightened hair (i was a fucking mess). i joined a band for a bit to play bass and we covered some misfits and nofx, i started listening to nofx and wow i guess i just realized nofx was kind of the first punk band i ever listened to. hmmm.

11th grade got into the fall of troy which i then listened to incessantly for the whole year and probably is what started to shift my trajectory from metal to punk. also heard dance with the devil by tech that year and it changed my life, started listening to hip hop.

senior year i start to expand my music taste and get into experimental/glitch/idm more hip hop got into tech deathcore and metalcore and was really serious into guitar. 

post high school i just kept finding more and more music and going through different phases, a lot of my good friends listened to misfits all throughout high school so i definitely always knew who they were but i never really got it. 

(2012)

without going on and on, eventually i heard a cold world album. dedicated to babies born feet first. my tastes started to really change then. picked up a misfits cd (it's funny, this was all POST high school) and fucking loved it, i finally really 'got' it. what really, really changed me though was getting dag nasty's can i say.

that fucking album...

can i say has changed my life and is what put me onto the 80s hardcore movement. i went back and found out about revolution summer and dischord records, started listening to youth of today and minor threat, as well as black flag - became a rollins and mackaye fanboy for a bit, and i've been building a hardcore collection since then (little over a year ago). everything from early dischord to triple b. the music gave me a sense of purpose, it became something that was actually a part of my life as opposed to something that existed independently of me that i valued from afar. now i'm in a youth crew band i play with on the weekends, go to shows, and kind of use the current of the scene to push me along. i feel like i'm riding with it, i don't take it too seriously nor think my band is going to be anything big at all. it's just a lot of fun and i'm engaged in my local scene which is all i really want anyway.

the positive aspects of that dag nasty album though, i had never heard music like that and i'll never forget how i felt my first time listening to it. damn that was long. kind of cathartic. 

Edited by insted

^LOL i thought u neggd him cause he still SXE.

gravity

vermiform

troubleman

council

ebullition

discord

vermin scum

old glory

GSL

K

killrockstars ... etc

^the only labels that mattered 2 me before i retired from the scene.

yeah most of us hate to admit it, but listened to chugga chugga hardcore etc.then we moved on. sorry to say alot of early youth crew type hardcore just didn't stand the test of time very well.

purely for nostalgic purposes and a laugh i'll youtube some revelationor victory recs release.

off the top of my head i remember that the burn! ep was good. also the 1st 108 lp.

Edited by SSchadenfreude

i'm less ashamed to admit i listened to metalcore bands then the hot topic-friendly emo bands of the time

10th grade started playing guitar and listening to shit like children of bodom, in flames, between the buried and me

HAHA i fucked with cob very heavily. and i still think BTBAM is a great band.

+rep conqueror for IKTPQ/Parkway Drive mentions. huge bands for me then.

very interesting movements through music. for aggressive music, i started off with metallica/slayer in middle school (just playing the albums to death and jamming to it), then moved on death metal and black metal, and then somehow ended up in metalcore also (BTBAM, red chord, ion dissonance, dillinger escape plan). so i feel like a lot of trajectories weren't too different.

it's funny though, i met a lot of friends who got into hardcore from "hot-topic" friendly bands and then some who were straight up punk kids that grew into that. it's interesting to hear all these paths towards the common love of hardcore though.

• 2 weeks later...

turnstile tomorrow in San Antonio.

i'm one 40 deep i apologize for abruptly coming in and not really looking at previous posts but 

i see the post by HGS a few up and (first of all, holy fucking shit, you are strong as hell man and i wish you the best brightest STRONGEST future) and i got to thinking "well i know hardcore hasn't just saved my life, who the fuck else has this shit touched?"

so can we do a whole bit on what hardcore means to you, who you listen to, what got you into it, and what your intentions with the scene are (ex. just going to shows, in a band, hang out with dudes in bands, anarchist by nature, ecopunk, etc.)

i'll do one when i see it's actually started. i really am curious to see what this side of sufu has to say/think about this culture.

Thanks for the kind words man.  It means a lot.

I got into punk/hardcore in the late summer of 98, as I was entering 7th grade.  I connected with the music because I didn't fit in well and hardcore showed me that I wasn't alone and there were other people who felt how I felt.  I will always feel "out of step" to some degree, and for that reason alone I think hardcore will always be a part of my life in some capacity.

Rancid was the band that got me into punk.  From there I did the usual digging, trial and error record shopping based on names that sounded cool, cool artwork, bands you read in the thank you lists of bands you liked, etc.  Misfits, Minor Threat, Operation Ivy, Dead Kennedys, and Reagan Youth were bands I got into early on and still love.  edit: I agree with the poster above about Minor Threat's prototypical hardcore lyricism.  Probably the best lyrics in hardcore.  Angry and straightforward, but intelligent and self aware.  Judge is up there too, some incredible, introspective lyrics on the LP.  

Right now I mainly listen to 80s/early90s NYHC like Judge, Leeway, Merauder, a lot of 90s metallic hardcore, and melodic hardcore/post hardcore.  I've played in a band (Streetsweeper) for the past few years but I'm taking a break while my health recovers.  We have a really strong scene in Massachusetts and my band and our group of friends are fortunate to be able to have a lot of bands going, put out our own records, put on good shows at a reliable venue, etc.  It all comes down to respect, not just for the tough guys or the cool dudes, but for the entire community, the venues, girls, young kids.  That's what separates people who drop out and those who remain.

Edited by HGS