Vancouver Meetup

Tiranis

i pay $870 for a one bedroom on Commercial Drive, it seems far from downtown but i'm 3 blocks from the train so it's about 10 minutes to granville station. 10-15 minutes on a bike gets you to downtown as well, its pretty convenient and a nice neighborhood though the dreadlock level is a bit fuckin disturbing

ive driven through the neighborhood but never hung out down there. maybe i make the pilgrimage.

Currently in the Audio/Video industry--mostly residential whole-house systems, including high end theaters and house automation. I basically have 2 jobs--doing marketing and installation work when needed.

http://www.digitechcustom.net/

I plan on either sticking in this industry or, if possible, moving into some sort of forward thinking energy-related job, ideally. If anybody sees anything similar during their search, I'd love you forever you PM me with some info.

Hiya, helloo. I have a friend who started working in home theatre installation in Van a few years ago. His starting wage was $25/hr with a lot of hours, but I'm not sure how the economic doom's affecting the demand.

Anyone have thoughts on the roundabout $500M loan Robertson wants to finish the Village? Harper already said there would be no federal aid.

I'm interested to see what it's going to be like in Van after the nOlympics.

what constitutes 'the village'? are we talking whister?

if so, i think thats the dumberst move ever. ski resorts are so contingent on economic fluxuation i think it would be rediculous to invest. if wer'e talking metro-van, i still think its stupid.

this city is set up in such a strange way. the drop in property value has done very litttle in influence of rental fees. maybe i just think this way because im new to the area, but i cant understand how people are so heroic about vancouver being recesssion-proof.

even if the olympics boost tourism tenfold, what can that mean longterm? eveyone might make 10x or 100x their usual return for that month, but after, the devastation will sink in as hard as their profit inflation.

4 weeks of good business is no reason to act like you wont fall victim to everything the rest of country is dealing with. the weather isnt superior enough to save this ciy from the same downfalls as the rest of the continent.

that said, ill be in whistelr during the games, living large offf the fat of the land. im just thinking the planning is very near-sighted.

Hi Nesk,

I'm referring to the Olympic Village complex in False Creek: http://www.straight.com/article-194090/digging-out-olympic-village. The condos will be used by athletes during 2010, and will then be sold for speculatively ridiculous prices (ha ha ha, jokes) after the 17-day event. City council voted to obtain financing (~$500M) from the provincial government without a public referendum on the matter (borrowing $ for a major expense).

BC think tanks are dismissing that the expenses>>>>>"benefits" anyway, in the long run.

On the other hand, there are talks of extending the ubc 2010 reading week (and moving spring breaks to feb) to two weeks?? Also, encouraging employees to go on vacay, take fewer hours, etc... to decrease traffic flow during the Oly?

btw It only took Montreal 30 years to pay off its Oly Stadium debt from '76.