Vancouver Meetup

Tiranis

^ true dat. the shine starts to wear off any place after a while...

is komakino closed for good btw? shame if so. vancouver institutions dropping like flies lately.

The latest version is an online store. Asked Jon before they closed and I believe he said things will be shipped out of Berlin but shipping will be free.

It's snowing at my university though! Not so much in North Van, but when I go up there's still snow on the ground. Creepy stuff.

I lived in Toronto when I was a kid and I remember it being insanely cold. I just can't wait for spring - it's going to be nice not having to wear a big coat.

It's snowing at my university though! Not so much in North Van, but when I go up there's still snow on the ground. Creepy stuff.

I lived in Toronto when I was a kid and I remember it being insanely cold. I just can't wait for spring - it's going to be nice not having to wear a big coat.

its snowing at cap right now?! :(

it never ends.

It was sleeting in White Rock pretty hard a little while ago, but now it's not. I hate when I have to go out to Van with a coat and then it's sunny and nice out when I get there.

I hope Komakino comes back. The way we always talked about it seemed like it was leaving for good, I mean, they make way more in online sales than in person, and most people who bought from the actual store were jet set types just traveling through.

this is snow light. its all fluffy and dissapears on contact with ground.

ive had to buy less and less bulkier coats over the course of 3 months to accomodate the weather. started off in my parka that i wore in toronto, then bought a trench for the rain, now im onto a down vest since its pretty nice most of the time but can get chilly at night. i rarely have to switch back and forth. but i guess its relative, if youre from here, a day like today might not seem so mild.

It was sleeting in White Rock pretty hard a little while ago, but now it's not. I hate when I have to go out to Van with a coat and then it's sunny and nice out when I get there.

I hope Komakino comes back. The way we always talked about it seemed like it was leaving for good, I mean, they make way more in online sales than in person, and most people who bought from the actual store were jet set types just traveling through.

ive probly been to koma 4 times over the past 2 years and ive never seen another person in there besides myself and the sales guy with the buckwild hair. i only knew about it from on here too. so i doubt it did much sales out of the store. i also paid for a jacket once through paypal right at the store, so obviously they are more online focused.

jon moved to barcelona or berlin or something btw, I don't think he's coming back. He said he was going to go work with boris bidjan sabieri or something, and present this pair of pants he made to Viridi Anne. I saw the pants they were good.

Yeah, Jon is still saving up, and he's gonna' move to Europe. Berlin, Barcelona. Those pants were sweet. U MAD, Did you see the dyed version, or the natural one?

Yeah, Jon is still saving up, and he's gonna' move to Europe. Berlin, Barcelona. Those pants were sweet. U MAD, Did you see the dyed version, or the natural one?

the first ones, he said the dye fucked up they were kind of purplish

^ Yeah. They looked good, anyway. Fuckin' dye. He got it from some kinda' crafts store though. Anyway, it's ok with black dye. If it isn't black enough, you can always dye it more.

Fuck Jon ruled.

Fuck, that was the best part. I'm gonna' go buy the inscence they used there. I didn't want to before because I thought it would ruin the magic of going, but I guess I can just light it up whenever I load the webstore.

yes

van retail pretty much sucks balls now

Not just retail. Emergency Room, Sweatshop, Peanut Gallery all got shut down in the last couple months, the Cobalt is getting hassled by the city, looks like it's next, dunno if the Astoria has reopened. Richard's is reinventing itself as a douchebaggy bottle-service club with 6000 sq/ft bathroom in September. Nowhere to rock.

Not just retail. Emergency Room, Sweatshop, Peanut Gallery all got shut down in the last couple months, the Cobalt is getting hassled by the city, looks like it's next, dunno if the Astoria has reopened. Richard's is reinventing itself as a douchebaggy bottle-service club with 6000 sq/ft bathroom in September. Nowhere to rock.

oh please for the love of god can we discuss nightlife in this city?

ive been here almost 3 months and havnt found a single good night at a single good bar. im not familiar with any of those places you listed and i guess i missed my chance to see them.

other than shine being occasionally doable, what the fuck goes on around here? i had an alright time at the lamplighter but it wasnt anything memorable. normally my vancouver experience is wanting to eat the glass my drink is in about 15 minutes after gettting in. and why do places make you check your coat in this fucking city?

i channel my inner guido and go to caprice

not sufu approved?

Shine on mondays (Ice Cream Social) can be okay. Mike Barrow and Cam Dales just started a new friday night thing at the Media Club called Far Away. I went last week. It was fun.

Things have reached unprecedented levels of bleakness in the last year, though. This time last year, there was a dance night almost every night (most of them half-assed, but they were there). Now, virtually nothing. All legal venues suck, all illegal venues got shut down. People are actually playing shows in their backyard sheds.

Oh, I forgot the Biltmore. They are at least trying to pick up the slack. Fairly regular shows and occasional decent dance parties there. Dude who runs it is maybe the one guy in town who can get things done without alienating the kids or the city.