Sugarcane: No more repros

Miles

For those who missed Kiya's note in the slubs thread....

To those commenting on Sugarcane's fits..

Just so you know.. They're stopping production on all their repro cuts this year.

They're releasing a whole new line, starting with three cuts.

A bootcut.. A Straightleg.. And the Self Edge x Sugarcane slim jeans...

This is surprising news to me. I suppose given the competition and trend towards modern cuts, it was only a matter of time before Sugarcane expanded beyond their repro cuts. But I never would've guessed that they'd abandon them altogether.

I'm eager to see what comes of this. And the SExSC collab, in description at least, has always carried the most appeal to me.

helmut lang has long stopped production of his jeans but there's never a shortage of lang jeans floating about, with so many sugar cane retailers in the states, UK, sweden (hist pres doing a damn good job growing the export market) and japan, there's bound to be some stock of canes somewhere. i don't see a problem.

I saw Kiya’s comment when it first appeared on the slubs’ thread this morning (my time). Frankly, my eyes popped open. Sugar Canes’ repros have been the primary gateway into fine Japanese denim for many. Reasonably priced, and excellent quality denim, many of the younger set even got their Japanese denim (paid for) by convincing their boomer/gen x dads to try a pair of ‘Canes.

Long before I was willing to cross the $250 mark for premium denim, I hesitated about crossing the $100 barrier. The Sugar Cane 47s were my first Japanese denim, and were my gateway drug into the realm of Samurai, 5EP, Eternals and so forth.

While the stocks out there will last for a while, these will soon be as lusted after as the originals to which they paid homage.

If you don’t have a pair of the 45 Lee repros, you OWE it to yourself to grab ‘em. Under-sung, they are excellent. And, while they remain, I think they are still the best possible bang for the buck for true Japanese homage denim.

I’ll be really sad when these lines disappear. It won’t be the first time that quality defers to changing tastes. Such is life.

I've been this > < close to buy sugarcanes for so many times. The problem is that I've always liked quite fitted jeans and those canes look like more of those my father uses -which isn't a bad thing just not my cup of tea. I can't justify myself buying a pair and just keep them in my 'collection' without using them...

By the way, isn't Un Chien Andalou made by Luis Buñuel?

Yeah, damn shame, I couldnt believe kiya just nocholently dropped it into HJJ's thread!

Is that a petition I can see on the horizon?

Interesting, fun even, but a petition would be of no value. This would be entirely about business. Are the sales of SC’s repro lines dropping, as the field of Japanese jeans expands? The issue has to be sales. The fashionistas are bored with the main, plain repros. Sugar Cane must be paying attention to their numbers. But that is simply my guess.

I’d still say people oughta stock up. These are really sweet and you can stick ‘em in the cedar chest for pulling out a decade from now. (Be sure to size up, ‘cause your skinny ass ain’t gonna stay skinny no matter how much you think it will!)

Obviously, some people are more pack-rat oriented than others... :cool:

As much as I love the look of modern cuts with slim fits...I always reach for the '47 501-cut for comfort. They may not be as flattering with the extra room in the seat and thigh (on me anyway), but I think they make repros for a reason...why mess with perfection?

By the way, isn't Un Chien Andalou made by Luis Buñuel?

He and Dali made it together.

I'm guessing in part this is not only a change in taste, but also the shockwaves from the Levi lawsuit. Maybe Levi's is still not happy with the whole situation, and is privately warning companies to 'tone down' their replicas...mind you that doesn't explain the axing of the 1945's so maybe i'm wrong...

As much as I love the look of modern cuts with slim fits...I always reach for the '47 501-cut for comfort. They may not be as flattering with the extra room in the seat and thigh (on me anyway), but I think they make repros for a reason...why mess with perfection?

Amen! I love my Samurai S5000BKs, but the SC47s are, without doubt, the ones to wear when I could give a sh*t about impressing girls or anyone else. None are more comfortable. Still, it’s a tough call, ‘cause I’m really into the SC45s, too. Either way, the SC repros are the ones that bring it all back home for me.

Deadpan: The 45s have always been overlooked, but I wonder if sales of the other repros haven't fallen because of the changes required by the legal silliness. People liked their repros to look "authentic". I don't know, just guessing/wondering.

This seems strange to me - not that they want to produce a more modern cut - but that they would abandon the vintage cuts all together. The '47 has been a staple and has many fans. Also Toyo's other companies, Aloha shirts, Buzz Rickson, etc. are all based on the principle of recreating vintage garments.

Don't get wrong, I look forward to seeing their new stuff, but i'm sure gonna miss the current models.

what does "They're stopping production on all their repro cuts this year" mean exactly anyway? they won't produce more repros this year, but next year they will? i wouldn't cry wolf just yet just because of that statement. sounds like another business booster by kiya to me.

what does "They're stopping production on all their repro cuts this year" mean exactly anyway? they won't produce more repros this year, but next year they will? i wouldn't cry wolf just yet just because of that statement. sounds like another business booster by kiya to me.

shrewd thinking. +rep

he said sugarcane right? could buzz be taking over all the repros?

it would be nice if buzz rickson takes over the repro line--canes transformed into buzz workwear?

after all they do seem to be focusing on the new models, with that sugar cane x begin and its psychadelic weft as a great example.

p/s and as we all know, tabs and arcuates are still widely available ;)

i will admit to nearly panic buying some SD-103s when the news about tabs first broke a few months ago, and i'm glad i didn't do it.

it would be nice if buzz rickson takes over the repro line--canes transformed into buzz workwear?

after all they do seem to be focusing on the new models, with that sugar cane x begin and its psychadelic weft as a great example.

p/s and as we all know, tabs and arcuates are still widely available ;)

i will admit to nearly panic buying some SD-103s when the news about tabs first broke a few months ago, and i'm glad i didn't do it.

Glad you didn't buy 103's at all...or glad you didn't rush into buying them?

Haha, true. So, who's gonna order a shitload of Canes for reselling?!?!

:rolleyes: ...I predict the 55's with the deadstock zipper will rise in value....too many 47's floating around to make it a collectors item (maybe :confused: )

If the Sugar Cane guys were reading this (I'm sure they have better things to do)...what would you want in the new lineup? A longer inseam would be on many lists...continuing with the regional indigos would be on mine (okinawa, edo, etc.).