MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

quick snow leopard update. i've been using it for about 2 weeks now. had some problems the first few days with my browsers (safari and firefox) crashing every time i opened a site w/ flash (like espn).

upgraded flash to the latest version and no problems since. snow leopard is worth the cost.

oh, and a heads up to those of you who purchased their macs recently - if you purchased yours after something like June 8th, then snow leopard is only $10. totally worth it.

im buying a macbook pro from this hopeless girl, she uninstalled osx and just has windows xp running on it.

shes giving me all the cds and everything, whats the best plan of attack to reformat the computer and get snow leopard up and running? i do want to get rid of the xp partition.

yes, but no.

its convenient but the wireless connection isn't really fast enough for a backup harddrive

anytime i want to copy large files its more worth my while to actually just go over to the router and plug my laptop into it

also, i turned off the automatic backup because there is no way to changing the frequency of backups which are every hour. it is super easy to tell it to manually backup once or twice a day but If I went back and did it again I'm not sure if I'd get the time capsule over an airport express and an external HD

thanks for the replies. i love the simplicity of the time capsule - and with the price drop - $299 for 1TB, it's not that bad a deal compared to purchasing a dual band wifi router + external HD. just worried about it dying after 18 months (based on what i've been reading on support sites).

if it bombs out - then both the router and backup will be dead. think i'll probably go with the airport extreme and an external drive.

thanks for the replies. i love the simplicity of the time capsule - and with the price drop - $299 for 1TB, it's not that bad a deal compared to purchasing a dual band wifi router + external HD. just worried about it dying after 18 months (based on what i've been reading on support sites).

if it bombs out - then both the router and backup will be dead. think i'll probably go with the airport extreme and an external drive.

dont waste money on an airport extreme, from my experience draft n is pretty pointless. i live in a fairly big house and although i didn't go into an aiport extreme, i tried about 4 different draft n routers and they all went back because their range was ridiculous (even the ones by belkin that were "range +" or something).

any particular reason why you NEED a draft n router?

get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190&Tpk=wrt54gl

you'll see that there will be no router with such positive reviews anywhere, plus it's much cheaper than all the other BS draft n routers i tried

although i didn't flash the firmware because i didn't feel the need to, it gave me me the best speed and range of all the routers i tried and i have full bars on my macbook's airport connection through all 3 floors, and apparently if you flash it ,it will only get better.

yeah, it's ugly as fuck, but it does the job.

how is snow leopard running for you guys? running smooth etc? better? noticeable? i'm hesitant because i'm ignorant about how much improved it is.

No problems whatsoever. The only small thing I noticed has been mentioned; once you install it you need to upgrade your flash and a few flash based programs. I had to switch to Transmission from Azureus for a little while until Azureus got their upgrades done.

what the fuckkkkkkkk

i got 4gb of ram to put in my blackbook (late 2006, intel core duo, not intel core 2 duo), but it wont work.

turns out that an internal limitation disallows more than 2gb in these macbooks?

and what's worse is that i can't even upgrade the goddamn processor because it's welded to the damn logic board....

absolute bullshit...

planned obsolescence if i've ever seen it...

question. so i've made the switch to mac with a swell 17" mbp. my old toshiba laptop was up to it's neck in viruses/malware/spyware/etc. and that's half the reason for the switch.

anyway, i've been mad paranoid about hooking up my external hd/ipod from my old laptop to my macbook in case it gets infected. yeah, i know, macs are meant to be immune to this sorta shit, but i can't help but feel it'd be stupid to hook up things i know are infected. plus, i would like to run bootcamp/xp on my mb, once day - if that means anything.

what's a guy to do? try and clean out my old laptop and it's peripherals before i do data transfer? shit is getting mad annoying.

thanks. will rep.

Guest on-display

home macs can get infected but there's like 3 viruses out there. shouldn't be a problem for the ipod and i think it shouldn't be a problem for your external. try to scan with some antivirus/anti spyware if you can especially if your going to run windows on the mac. some caution you'll probably have to erase the memory of your ipod since its windows formatted.

anyone having internet problems, hardwired AND wireless with their macbook pros from late 2007?

my internet will go dead slow, like pages wont load at all, and my airport will show full signal. i'll have to wait 15-30 minutes or sometimes more and if i'm lucky it'll work again. otherwise i just leave for a few hours and come back, and itll be working fine.

i use firefox, and sometimes i just open safari and it happens to work, but firefox doesnt.

i've googled this gone on forums and added ips, and cleared my caches. apple support did shit for me.

help?

How long has this been happening? I have a PB from '05 that runs/ran great until the other day when I updated Firefox, now browsing is painfully slow. I think it may be Firefox, I'm going to try to run an earlier version or go with safari/opera for the time being.

anyone having internet problems, hardwired AND wireless with their macbook pros from late 2007?

/\\ my internet has been PAINFULLY slow the past few days and i have no idea why....I have an MBP purchased in jan 09 and when i go to speedtest.com, my speed is normal (15d, 5u) but pages take FOREVER to load

i tried restarting my cpu and nothing really improved. YOu know how with windows you can ctrl+alt+del and go to task manager and check out your processes and see which is killing your system? Is there anything similar to that for macs? Or maybe a disk defrag?

my shit is too slow. (there is 100gb left on my 250gb if that matters)

/\\ my internet has been PAINFULLY slow the past few days and i have no idea why....I have an MBP purchased in jan 09 and when i go to speedtest.com, my speed is normal (15d, 5u) but pages take FOREVER to load

i tried restarting my cpu and nothing really improved. YOu know how with windows you can ctrl+alt+del and go to task manager and check out your processes and see which is killing your system? Is there anything similar to that for macs? Or maybe a disk defrag?

my shit is too slow. (there is 100gb left on my 250gb if that matters)

you can see the processes with istat menus, but just try unplugging your modem and router from power for 1 minute and then turn them on again, that will probably solve your problem.