MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

There is nothing better than microsoft office suit, tried openoffice, neooffice, iWork and everything had some bugs or limited to simple operations. Keynote is great, but well....

If you want applecare, get it by ebay. Should be a lot cheaper than in store.

Will raise the value if you want to sell it again and will be helpful. I think you can't go wrong with getting it.

So how pumped are you guys for the Apple tablet? I'm 100% sure it'll be coming sometime this year or early next year. Everything they've been doing recently in terms of software, when you think about it, has made OSX more touchscreen friendly. Examples:

- Dock Expose in 10.6 - Press and hold an app's icon to open Expose for that app. Drag content to the app's icon and hold to select Expose for that app, then drag onto the desired window, and it gains focus. All of this can be done with a single finger.

- iTunes - Coverflow is really kinda awkward with a mouse/keyboard. It was made for touchscreens. Also there's category view (or whatever its called) which really lends itself to touchscreens.

- Safari - The new blank tab has your most common 9 (or more) websites, meaning that you get there with a single press. Coverflow history is also a bit more finger-friendly than browsing history the regular way.

etc

There's an iPod event in September, my guess is that it'll be announced there and will be released when 10.6 comes out (november? december? jan? dunno)

^ CMD + Click

pressing the mouse wheel on an external mouse works too

i should of clarified; i know of the command+click and "right click" capabilities of the trackpad (thats what i use now) to open different tabs, i just wished you could like, click on a link with 2 or 3 fingers and have it open a different tab.

but i read that they might implement this in snow leopard so we'll see

i should of clarified; i know of the command+click and "right click" capabilities of the trackpad (thats what i use now) to open different tabs, i just wished you could like, click on a link with 2 or 3 fingers and have it open a different tab.

but i read that they might implement this in snow leopard so we'll see

firefox has a plugin that does that

I only run firefox because I'm still transitioning from windows. maybe some other time I'll try out safari

If you want applecare, get it by ebay. Should be a lot cheaper than in store.

Will raise the value if you want to sell it again and will be helpful. I think you can't go wrong with getting it.

has anyone actually done this before? i've read stories about people who've bought from ebay getting their applecare voided a couple months after registering

I have the macbook pro 15" that was before this current line of macbook pros. I need a new battery and just feel like it's getting "old." I got it freshman year so it's three years old now. I'm thinking about getting the faster 13" pro. Do you think this is worth the money to make the switch? With the student discount I guess I can get it for like 1400. Or should I just keep mine and get a new battery?

I have the macbook pro 15" that was before this current line of macbook pros. I need a new battery and just feel like it's getting "old." I got it freshman year so it's three years old now. I'm thinking about getting the faster 13" pro. Do you think this is worth the money to make the switch? With the student discount I guess I can get it for like 1400. Or should I just keep mine and get a new battery?

just keep it for a while.

upgrade ram, etc. and it'll be fine.

just keep it for a while.

upgrade ram, etc. and it'll be fine.

True. I guess it's doing a decent job with everything. It's either a new MBP or a nice LCD TV and Playstation 3 for my new apartment so I'm starting to lean towards keeping my mac and getting a nice TV.

anything about a mac that makes you never want to go back to PC

im down with PCs and only had my home-built desktop fuckup a couple times but im feelin something different

that being said i dont like the idea of booting into windows just to run some apps or play games

so, after a little more than a year, my MBP is crapping out. as far as I can relate it to, technically, the battery does not hold charge if unplugged for more than 15 minutes due to the computer overheating. Now, my brother had the same problem with his 3 year old MB, and when he took it in he got the battery replaced AND the logic board replaced because the overheating was due to a faulty connection between the battery and logic board. If I set up an appointment and identify this problem (I still have Applecare), am I gonna get charged extra because I already diagnosed it based off the same thing happening to my brothers? Or will it be covered properly? I need my comp fixed before I head back to school or I'm gonna have major issues all year, so any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

so, after a little more than a year, my MBP is crapping out. as far as I can relate it to, technically, the battery does not hold charge if unplugged for more than 15 minutes due to the computer overheating. Now, my brother had the same problem with his 3 year old MB, and when he took it in he got the battery replaced AND the logic board replaced because the overheating was due to a faulty connection between the battery and logic board. If I set up an appointment and identify this problem (I still have Applecare), am I gonna get charged extra because I already diagnosed it based off the same thing happening to my brothers? Or will it be covered properly? I need my comp fixed before I head back to school or I'm gonna have major issues all year, so any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I doubt your battery died because of overheating issues, but I'm not an expert or anything. They are lithium-ion batteries and they die over time from being charged and drained. They need to be replaced every once in a while and I'm just guessing yours is dead. Just pick up a new battery.

Just got my 17" MBP with antiglare screen yesterday. My life has changed permanently.

what have I been doing with my life? this trackpad is honestly the coolest shit ever.

mine should be arriving early next week. :D

matte screen ftw.

i wish the matte screen was avail on smaller models :(

why does everyone hate on the glossy screen? Shit is pretty cool

also, does anyone have the 15'' MBP that came out in oct 08 with the 2g's of ram? (before the newer, cheaper mbp's) Has anyone upgraded to 4gigs and would you recommend it? Would my cpu greatly benefit from it?

why does everyone hate on the glossy screen? Shit is pretty cool

also, does anyone have the 15'' MBP that came out in oct 08 with the 2g's of ram? (before the newer, cheaper mbp's) Has anyone upgraded to 4gigs and would you recommend it? Would my cpu greatly benefit from it?

That model can utilize up to 6gb of ram. Officially its 4gb. Other World Computing offers the 6gb (4+2) for around $160. This memory would boost your system a lot.

Guest on-display

I bought a 23" monitor from dell and new macbook pro connected it to the dvi port and I noticed that it has a yellow tint on the external monitor. Pictures look more yellow etc etc. I hooked up a pc to the external via vga cable and it looks fine. Anyone know whats wrong? do I need to visit apple again?

I was just wondering if it is possible to delete .dmg files to save space without getting rid of the program. For instance, when I delete the mozilla .dmg mozilla didn't work. I thought .dmg files were like .exe files where you can just delete them.

in fact that's a common mac newcomer mistake. the .dmg is an archive where the program is contained. but it is not meant to be launched from the archive but copied into the application folder. then you can delete the .dmg and launch the program from the application folder (and if you want to have it on the dock, drag and drop its icon onto the dock).