Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

ok superfuture cooks, chime in:

broccoli and thyme, or peas and thyme - which combination is more harmonious as a purée? they'll be accompaniment to a portion of slow-cooked salmon. lemon and thyme are present elsewhere in the meal.

Peas are the obvious choice - their starchiness will help give the puree body, but I'm gonna chime in here and say peas and MINT with a little basil thrown in if you feel like it. I find thyme will pair pretty inoffensively with both herbs and the mint really cuts the super sweetness of fresh peas and the fattiness of salmon. Works even better if you glaze the salmon with something, maybe maple.

Just my 2 cents.

^ truth on mint cutting sweetness

i added mint to my honeydrew "dressing" for a fingerling salad the otherday at work just for that purpose.

i dunno bout maple tho wouldnt it be too sweet? could work if the glaze had vinager and salt element to it i guess?

big hit of thyme in its various forms in the risotto dish, all strung together decently, the pea puree was my favourite and balanced sweet peas and peppery(?) thyme, tossed in butter then poached in milk. fish was nicely medium rare but wish i had a thermometer to gauge with.

nothing spectacular, but was good :)

Had some not so amazingly marbled steak lying around so I did a lardon with some rosemary and pork fat (obviously).

dsc7794.jpg

And the finished product:

dsc7796.jpg

Waiving the charred strip of fat sticking out from the meat, it worked quite well actually.

2nm0kdt.jpg

made a really quick dinner tonight.

dredged some (canned) sardines in a corn starch, flour, s&p, and paprika mixture and pan fried them until crispy.

the rest is just whole wheat spaghetti, garlic, red bell pepper, green onions, crushed red pepper, and a little olive oil.

• 2 weeks later...

posted this yesterday and i had good feedback. I thought that i should put it in this thread since it's really easy to use and it's perfect if you are cooking for someone who's a vegetarian

4857035467_c79fd0a600_z.jpg

it's really easy. I first did it with italian tomatoes (the oval ones). it was easier, they had less juice and kept the shape better.

tomatoes

brie cheese

ham slices

pepper

red onions

note: you can do it with pretty much anything. feta cheese and pepper is really simple too and taste really good. you can replace the tomatoes with red pepper.

empty the tomatoes (put the inside in some bowl)

take the cheese and ham, make a roll

put in in the tomatoe

add pepper and red onion

on the grill for five minutes (? maybe more. i really know.. just watch them), wrapped with foil.

with the inside of the tomatoes, you can make a good salas (letuce, olive oil, and lime juice)

& thank for the rep!

will try soon.

I can't wait to try cooking with blue cheese and salmon/fish. I've never been fan of both (used to hate blue cheese but i got into "strong" cheese (i know that blue cheese isn't that strong, im just starting and for fish, i've always find it ok).

I want to slow cook some salmon. It looks and sounds delicious

I eat WAY TOO MUCH SWEET FOOD. Need to stop this.

ok guys my version of thai beef salad!:)

first chop some spring onion's

002-1.jpg

like so

003-3.jpg

next in a bowl add some chopped little gem, corriander, (yellow, red and oragne) cherry tomato's, diced cucumber and some radish's like so

001-2.jpg

next get your beef this is a 8oz fillet steak

010-2.jpg

grill for aslong as neeeded (med-rare please)

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

now you need to make dressing

so 2 parts lime jucie, 2 parts fish sauce and 1 part caster sugar mix up and add chilli flakes/fresh chillies or some chinese chilli oil like me haha

006-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

i like gacuamole aswell if thats how you spell it! but i had enough chilli in my salad so this was made without chilli

banana shallots, avocado lime juice salt and corriander

004-2.jpg

get ready

005-2.jpg

mix it up!!!

008-1.jpg

yum, now all ready just cut the beef amd add the dressing and your ready to go

013-1.jpg

Homemade lime pickle, has achieved!

Method:

24 Key limes, cut into eighths, seeded.

1 cup of salt

One jar with cap, sterilized (boiled)

Alternate limes, salt, limes, salt until jar filled and limes depleted.

Add juice of two meyer lemons

Leave jar in western-facing window for two weeks WITHOUT OPENING.

Toast 4 tsp each mustard seed, cumin seed and one 2 teaspoons fenugreek seed and grind to a powder. Add one teaspoon turmeric and 4 teaspoons chili powder.

Separately, heat 3/4 cup mustard oil til smoking, put 2 teaspoon mustard seed until it pops, add one teaspoon hing and turn off heat immediately.

Once oil cools, add ground spices and oil to pickle. I am now on day 2 of 5 of leaving this at room temp to rest and then it goes into separate small jars in the fridge.

I figure this pickle should last me until there is sunny weather again in NYC. It smells AWESOME already - can't wait to try some at the end of the week...

4895373965_41118b56bd_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

Didn't see a thread dedicated to the art of kitchen work, so I figured I'd start one. I have no professional training myself, however working as a barista in a cafe alongside one Red Seal pastry chef and one culinary grad has greatly impacted my love and respect for the culinary arts...any chefs/cooks/enthusiasts on here? let's talk knives, techniques etc.

• 1 month later...

Quiche Lorraine, my mom's recipe, super easy and quick)

250 mL milk (3.5%)

3 eggs

200 g ham

1 leek

cheese (~200g)

yeast dough

make your dough and spread it evenly in your casserole

stirr up eggs and milk add a pinch of salt, some pepper and nutmeg

slice up your leek and ham and pan fry that for a bit

put that in the casserole and add the eggs and milk. sprinkle cheese on top (the more the better ;) )

bake in oven at ~180C for 30 to 45 min until the center isn't runny anymore

if your cheese starts to get dark before the quiche is done put some aluminum foil over the casserole

Didn't see a thread dedicated to the art of kitchen work, so I figured I'd start one. I have no professional training myself, however working as a barista in a cafe alongside one Red Seal pastry chef and one culinary grad has greatly impacted my love and respect for the culinary arts...any chefs/cooks/enthusiasts on here? let's talk knives, techniques etc.

Never saw this, but I'm quite into cooking and kitchen knives + freehand sharpening.

Ok, this was a big-time experiment. Never made sushi rice before. Pictures are pretty unappetizing – light in the kitchen was shit and I didn't feel like spending a bunch of time editing them.

Basically nigiri/pressed sushi/onigiri hybrid with smoked salmon, very thinly sliced meyer lemon with toasted sesame oil roasted over fennel fronds, scallion, and toasted black sesame.

Slaw of vegetables quick pickled in lemon juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, star anise, and crushed red pepper.

107ulnp.jpg

33u93z5.jpg

Verdict: Rice turned out way better than expected. Still not amazing, but honestly closer to what I had when I was in Japan than what you get at most of the places around here. Sweetness from roasted meyer lemon went very nicely with the smoked fish. Would have been better with a more standard nigiri-sized rice ball. Slaw was nice and crunchy and tangy.

Probably far from my strongest possible entry for lemons, but I felt like messing around :)

Spicy chickpea and lemon stew, served with quinoa

162632_498276915352_508995352_6581930_1687824_n.jpg

Not the most appetising pictures either (sup youkinorn) but it tasted decent. Juiced the lemons and boiled the rind with bay leaves until tender. Browned onions and garlic served as the base for the stew, added peppers, tomatoes, cooked chickpeas and simmered in stock. Heat from limo chilli powder, bright tang from the lemon juice... Added a pinch of sliced rind and a handful of spinach leaves at the end.

I'm just going to turn whatever ingredient into a one-pot soup/stew, time is short, so be forewarned :cool: