Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

early submission since i'm not going to be around this weekend:

2j3o2hi.jpg

slow-cooked salmon with a cold broccoli purée

(a la Nils Noren, but with none of his skill)

salmon was slow-cooked in a pan, on top of a hot water bath, on a bed of onions and seasoned with coarse sea salt, pepper and mint. broccoli was simmered in milk and then blended into a semi-chunky purée.

the salmon came out buttery soft at the best of parts, nicely medium rare, but unfortunately i couldn't keep the texture consistent throughout the slice and some parts were a little drier. the mint got kind of lost. the cold puree i think worked against the warm fish, and made a good addition to the overall texture. flavours were pretty clean; light and creamy broccoli against the heavier salmon.

i can never seem to get slow-cooking right, i tried it once in an oven and this time on a water bath, and it's kind of getting there but not quite there yet. maybe the third time will be golden...

Tweeds,

very very nice - clever cooking it w/ the water bath. It's always a struggle to infuse flavors (mint) without the intense high heat. Then again, mint wouldn't stand up to a roasting either way, so it's one of those tricky ones ... gotta find a way to be subtle with it, which it looks like you did.

aces all around.

edit: perhaps you should've incorporated the mint into the purée. i'm probably going to try something like this this weekend

early submission since i'm not going to be around this weekend:

2j3o2hi.jpg

slow-cooked salmon with a cold broccoli purée

(a la Nils Noren, but with none of his skill)

salmon was slow-cooked in a pan, on top of a hot water bath, on a bed of onions and seasoned with coarse sea salt, pepper and mint. broccoli was simmered in milk and then blended into a semi-chunky purée.

the salmon came out buttery soft at the best of parts, nicely medium rare, but unfortunately i couldn't keep the texture consistent throughout the slice and some parts were a little drier. the mint got kind of lost. the cold puree i think worked against the warm fish, and made a good addition to the overall texture. flavours were pretty clean; light and creamy broccoli against the heavier salmon.

i can never seem to get slow-cooking right, i tried it once in an oven and this time on a water bath, and it's kind of getting there but not quite there yet. maybe the third time will be golden...

looks good, tweeds.

I want to put that purée on a sandwich or something.

the puree looks better than the salmon... (the salmon looks delicious, this isnt me being rude, haha, the puree just looks TASTY.)

Have you ever tried the whole sous-vide thing? you could try a poor man's version in a plastic bag with some olive oil. I've never done it but I have a family friend who makes these amazing 'confit' potatoes that way

I was using Ziploc bags before I got my vacuum sealer and it works pretty well too(theres a video on youtube where grant achatz cooks turkey at home sous vide using ziploc bags), you just have to cook it for a longer period because the heat transfer is not as efficient.

As for the water bath: www.sousvidemagic.com

jhxkcd, what is your opinion on blimpy burgers. ARE THEY TRULY THE BEST?

Haha I live 2 houses down from blimpy, they're damn good and they make it all from scratch in front of you. Bit expensive though, that's the only downside. Also they're dicks.

ALSO

details on that strawberry caviar? sounds interesting.

Its pretty good, mine worked fine right out of the box. Ive heard of SVM devices that require calibration with the specific kind of rice cooker that you're using.And It actually regulates temperature pretty well, if lets say you set it at 50C, it will usually only fluctuate between 49.8-50.2

Strawberry caviar was Blended strawberries, mixed with sodium alginate, dropped with a syringe into a water bath with calcium chloride. Commong spherification

The rice cooker is hooked up to the Sous Vide Magic, which is hooked up to a power supply. The Sous vide magic also has a thermometer which you drop into you rice cooker. So basically you set the temperature you want the water bath to be, when the temperature reading drops below the desired temperature, the Sous Vide Magic turns on the rice cooker for a few seconds to raise the temp. of the water bath up, then lets it drop down again, the cycle goes on automatically.

Yeah I tend to spend my money on gadgets and food

I've always thought about cooking in terms of basic chemistry, but jesus.

Spherification

I think i jizzed my pants when I found out I could make little balls of food with chemicals, but now that Ive actually tried it, spherification/foams/shit like that have no place in the home kitchen, its way too much work for a single mouthful of food. I made the caviar because my sister wanted to play with the syringes, but i think she quickly discovered that its not as fun as it looks.