Things that were better back then

Secondly, why must one live in a specific time period in order to enjoy products from that time?

how else would you know?

Thirdly, I prefaced my statements to indicate that I didn't grow up with with said products and I was relying on hearsay more or less.

.. exactly.

It's a dumb statement since you say yourself that you have not experienced the things you say is/were better. It's also dumb because you're using the old things as a gauge, and new things are then "worse" by default since they aren't exactly like the old whatever.

just venting the built up annoyance this so-often occuring statement has caused me.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a razor from the 1940's. It is better than a mach 3.

I've heard from friends/read that Krylon was better when it was made by Borden rather than Sherwin-Williams as it is today.

I've read, on this forum, that Levi's were better years ago.

It's not like these things are opinions, they're facts. Growing up in the respective time period makes little difference.

It's not like I said, "I liked ______ back in the day." I said they were simply better.

Not a big deal.

actually those are opinions....lol

there are plenty of people out there who prefer the convenience and ease of Mach 3 razors, and there are also plenty of people who prefer modern day levi's cuts over older cuts...and you heard form a friend...is your friend a walking encyclopedia...? does he have the chemical ingredients and what not to Krylon?

nice try though

I like the internet because it ironically enables me to buy the sorts of things that were made better "back in the old days".

Frankly, everything was made better back then. Cars, pens, clothing, cameras, steroe equipment, etc.

Design was also superior.

And being able to talk shit face to face instead of being a pussy and doing it from the safety of a username.

Yeah those were the days.

yeah but you can still do that plenty now...

and you people must be crazy to say cars were better back then...can we say gas efficiency? safety advacenemtns? emission reduction? faster? cooler? just about everything about cars now are better than before...

yeah but you can still do that plenty now...

and you people must be crazy to say cars were better back then...can we say gas efficiency? safety advacenemtns? emission reduction? faster? cooler? just about everything about cars now are better than before...

I think modern cars are hateful masses of efficent ubiquity.

If you're concerned about safety advancements, Mercedes-Benz was doing crumple zones in the early '60s.

And one shouldn't underestimate old cars in terms of speed. An old '70s Porsche 911 can probably beat some new Japanese "rice" car.

Car design was also vastly superior back then. You could also get coach-built cars back then--what can you get now? Some box-ugly Rolls Royce for half a million with "customized" cupholders?

No company will make a custom chassis these days like the old coach houses.

'60s furniture was superior, even the mass-produced stuff. Knoll was known for hiring the avant-garde designers such as Saarien, et al. for their lines.

What do we have now? Thomasville Heritage Collection and other morally dodgy things for the suburbanite wanting to have a "touch of the British" in their homes, when all that's British is the fact that the furniture was made in India.

The trashy new cars with their electronic hodge-podges and plastic interiors are entirely underwhelming. The engines don't have a high-class whine, most of them drive like a go-cart and they are singularly ugly.

[being a douche]You guys are idiots. Furniture today is obviously better. I can't believe you don't agree with me.[/being a douche]

Yeah actually I agree, I like how it comes flat in a box, with instructions to put it together:D

The Italian companies are "non-mainstream" whereas Knoll was a mainstream company.

Cappellini, etc. are fine for contemporary Italian design, but some of the stuff is a bit suspect. Some of it really relies on hype--plus some of it is too shiny.

findmybetterhalf why are you so determine to argue this. I don't think it was eastcoastrider27s intention to say everything was better 10, 20 30, 100 years ago... If it was, his first post would have been "everything" and that would have been the end of the thread.

Some things definatley were better "back then." Jeans is the perfect example, some people may think levis are cut better now, but I'll guarantee the consensus of this board is that older levis are better, thats why we have japanese repo companies.

Some cars were better back then, hence vintage car clubs. I'd way rather have a 69 mustang than an 2009 mustang.

Of course this is all based on opinion, the point of this thread is to state yours.

My opinion:

TV shows - tv used to be way better, there are some absolute gems coming out now, but they are few and far between, I think the average television show has got a lot worse, seems to be based on profits now days.

Furniture - I think mass production is to blame for this, quality of stuff just gets a lot worse. I'd take 70s second hand over new repros.

im not all that "determined" to argue this other than the fact that yes, everyone feels nostalgia towards things that used to be around, but i think its a bit farfetched to say older stuff is better (to some extent). I mean, yes there are many things that are shitty now compared to how things were before, but you're all forgetting that most things we use now are based heavily on efficiency as well as convenience. Sure, it would be nice to have something of high quality once in awhile, but in the end, i for one prefer quick and easy convenient things.

and Tyro, way to compare a Porche to Honda or Toyota or whatever...how does that even make sense to you...? and thanks for the neg rep :(

but my point is, technically speaking...many things are superior in many ways and ill admit, maybe not as good quality wise but other pros make up for it. and another point i was making earlier was that these are opinions while eastcoastrider was saying its fact...which is why i put up the examples of old schoo Levis, there are things some people prefer over the other, its called opinion...not fact.

and Tyro, way to compare a Porche to Honda or Toyota or whatever...how does that even make sense to you...?
I'd way rather have a 69 mustang than an 2009 mustang.

Last time I checked Mustangs were made by Ford...

s4295.jpg

and thanks for the neg rep :(

you're welcome

I was promised flying cars. Where the hell are they?! Not happy!!

:(

I remember when I was in elementary school I read this really old book (from like the 1950s) in my school's library and it was talking about how in the year 2000 we'd be living in flying cities with fliying cars. haha

Superfuture (supertalk)

Back in the day this forum was really dead.

I remember when I was in elementary school I read this really old book (from like the 1950s) in my school's library and it was talking about how in the year 2000 we'd be living in flying cities with fliying cars. haha

i remember in elementry school i read an article that in the year 2000 flying cars would be released and that michael jackson already had one, this was in 88-89 ish. and that he had paid 10 million for it. i still believe that he owns one, just have no proof to back this up.