films you're looking forward to seeing

I know a bunch of people are looking forward to The Thing

Well the trailers finally here now!!!

you can watch it here:

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/07/man-is-still-the-warmest-place-to-hide-the-thing-remake-trailer.php

looks quite good, looks like they will revisit the dog scene!!!

i don't get it! why does hollywood keep doing this shit! too scared to make something original soo they just keep recycling films...

the original the thing was spot on, not sure why we need a second version.

i don't get it! why does hollywood keep doing this shit! too scared to make something original soo they just keep recycling films...

the original the thing was spot on, not sure why we need a second version.

Third, actually. I agree with you in principal, but had the 1951 version never been remade you would not have the spot on 1982 version...

Third, actually. I agree with you in principal, but had the 1951 version never been remade you would not have the spot on 1982 version...

ahhh right! thanks for correcting me.

i do however level the same criticism at modern hollywood the number of remakes and sequels have never been higher.

and to me it sucks seeing money thrown at a remake or sequel rather than an original new idea.

ahhh right! thanks for correcting me.

i do however level the same criticism at modern hollywood the number of remakes and sequels have never been higher.

and to me it sucks seeing money thrown at a remake or sequel rather than an original new idea.

Some of the best movies ever have been remakes. Little Shop of Horrors, Silence of the Lambs, The Fly, The Departed, Scarface, The Magnificent Seven, 12 Monkeys, etc the list can literally go on for pages.

Remakes are nothing new and I doubt the ratio of remakes to original ideas has barely changed in the last 50 years.

The same thing can be said when people complain about comic book movies. There are so many movies out there that are based on comics that nobody even knows are comics, like Road to Perdition, From Hell, History Of Violence, MIB, etc...

Just judge the film on its own merits rather than complain about how it came to be. And stop complaining about movies you havent seen yet.

i do understand that remakes are not some new phenomena, one of the first films every made The Great Train Robbery was remade 2 or 3 years afterwards in an attempt to explain the story in a more cohesive manner.

And i am not saying all remakes are rubbish as there definitely are lots of great remakes out there, but hollywoods obsession with remaking foreign and arthouse films bores me! and 9/10 times they reproduce trash that to me is a waste of money, time and talent.

Some of the best movies ever have been remakes...Silence of the Lambs...Scarface...12 Monkeys, etc the list can literally go on for pages.

Damn. These ones are new to me. Could you provide a list of lesser known remakes?

edit: I assume by a 12 Monkeys remake you refer to the French short it is based on, right? I'd consider full-length films from short films an entirely different sort of remake, or not a remake at all.

edit2: Just found the Howard Hughes Scarface. How did I not know about this?! Still not sure about Silence of the Lambs tho.

Damn. These ones are new to me. Could you provide a list of lesser known remakes?

edit: I assume by a 12 Monkeys remake you refer to the French short it is based on, right? I'd consider full-length films from short films an entirely different sort of remake, or not a remake at all.

edit2: Just found the Howard Hughes Scarface. How did I not know about this?! Still not sure about Silence of the Lambs tho.

My bad I thought Silence was a remake of Manhunter but as it turns out Red Dragon is a remake of Manhunter...which is the prequel to Silence...confusing...

Don't think I ever got around to seeing Red Dragon, but I've read the book. The Harris novels are pretty decent actually. Might have to watch Manhunter then Red Dragon soon.

Bad Lieutenant remake was highly underrated in my opinion. Exactly the sort of standard a remake should achieve. Same idea reimagined in a new location with different characters and a different plot. Nick Cage was brilliant in that film (and I usually don't like him at all).

Haven't seen original True Grit but the new one is awesome. Can't go wrong with Coen bros and Bridges.

Anyone got any info on a Blood Meridian film? Used to follow the rumors pretty closely, but haven't kept up.

edit: speaking of remakes... http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/07/breaking-spike-lee-in-talks-to-direct-oldboy-remake.php

The original is soooo good, and so stylised, that I am 100% certain this movie will probably suck (in a relative sense).

umm maybe this deserves its own threads: best remakes.

my two personal favorites of the last couple of years, Bad Lieutenant and True Grit.

Bad Lieutenant was amazing. I was super skeptical when I saw Cage in there but it seems like he's actually a pretty good actor who just signs up for shitty movies all the time.

No no no no it would have be something like this:

Bleek blows out some dudes girlfriend and she gets pregnant. The dude finds out about and goes insane and locks up Bleek in some Harlem basement.

You know the rest.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=42141

I hope they dont spend an hour with an origins story wrapped up with a quick 30 minute fight with Lizard. It's also sort of strange they are seemingly going with a dark angle when Spiderman has always sort of been the upbeat superhero that makes fun of the whole idea of super heros and villains.

Still excited though!

K: we need to get in touch with 40 acres and a mule and get on to consult for the script. im thinking sammy LJ as a crackhead brother guide-type character(in the pulp fiction wig, though). and rosie perez as the daughter, of course. maybe spike does a cameo as a bicycle shorts salesman.

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting-looking stuff at the Sydney Underground Film Festival this year:

dKvrAvHWGvU

2_k0KMwXt5E

2SAxfmJGQ04

9yfV0MAUgVQ

e9Eeqr3mSss

o3LCC5M-oaA

EkNQ_-5QKzs

F2MNuaa-tVE

dz8MsV0HtiY

_8fEEGPXy94

AUcTkGkKXOg

7jOs6haUibs