films you're looking forward to seeing

the steampunk stuff in Golden Compass was worth seeing on the big screen, but everything else was pretty much crap. editing and story development sucked hard--too LotR wannabelike. could've been better considering the anti-fascist/anti-church material to buck up against the traditional b.s.. :[

yeah it all looked nice, but it still didnt have the grime and poise that steampunk should have. they spend no time developing characters, they give no insight to the story itself, they rushed everything, they played down the church thing because chris weitz was a pussy and succumbed to the angry conservative-religious-right, and generally, it was too much indebted to peter jackson despite him having very little to do except for giving chris weitz a "blockbuster 101" kinda run through before initial filming began. it was pretty shotty all around and the only saving grace with a cast full of great actors and actresses (save for nicole kidman) were daniel craig and dakota blue richards (lyra). i was very disappointed as these are some of my favorite books and they were completely butchered and dumbed down.

I felt like I was watching a Laurel and Hardy movie. It was better than Good Will Hunting and prompted the style of Elephant and Last Days. Greatness in my opinion in a film is originality be it of cinematography, acting, direction or scripting. These all come in many forms. I guess I just have a soft spot for experimentation.

I felt like I was watching a Laurel and Hardy movie. It was better than Good Will Hunting and prompted the style of Elephant and Last Days.

I think it was terribly boring, the cinematography was good but the story was empty and dragged forever. The beautiful images had no connection to the actors who showed no emotion and didn't make themselves 'available' to the viewer.

I think 'Elephant' was so much better and I don't see almost any connection between these movies. They follow similar style but it's not something that a semi-intelligent viewer cannot handle. 'Elephant' had a great structure, almost a nervous feel to it. It showes a great insight into the characters. 'Gerry' didn't accomplish any of that.

Greatness in my opinion in a film is originality be it of cinematography, acting, direction or scripting. These all come in many forms. I guess I just have a soft spot for experimentation.

In that case I didn't see much greatness in 'Gerry'. To me it had no acting, direction or scripting. Even that Van Sant doesn't follow the three act structure, his movies still have a flow which this one didn't. You could take a crap in the middle of the movie and these donkeys were still lost in the desert and nothing happened.

I also like experimentation but Van Sant is not that edgy for me, although I really like him and I saw all of his movies.

I see why you didn't enjoy it and your complaints are the same as others i have heard. The distance between the actors and audience the fact that very little happened and you knew next to nothing about the characters was exactly why I enjoyed it. It's clear that it was a little throwaway but that sparseness is something he clearly refined for the others. I am not holding it up as the greatest film ever made just one I like.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone seen this? Coments?

If you're a fan (a real fan and not "I heard The Clash sampled by some hip hop artist" fan) than you'll love it but this is an insider film and won't really deliver for people who don't know some facts about Strummer already. I loved it, probably the best documentary I saw all year.

If you're a fan (a real fan and not "I heard The Clash sampled by some hip hop artist" fan) than you'll love it but this is an insider film and won't really deliver for people who don't know some facts about Strummer already. I loved it, probably the best documentary I saw all year.

it was really good. i agree with that. but it seemed like a lot of good stuff was cut out of the interviews, like they were always in the middle of a thought or something.

definitely gonna take another look at it though.

in that case i didn't see much greatness in 'gerry'. to me it had no acting, direction or scripting. even that van sant doesn't follow the three act structure, his movies still have a flow which this one didn't. you could take a crap in the middle of the movie and these donkeys were still lost in the desert and nothing happened.

i also like experimentation but van sant is not that edgy for me, although i really like him and i saw all of his movies.

it’s been a while since I saw it, so it's hard for me to thoroughly articulate why I enjoyed it. but the easiest point to give praise is obviously on the cinematography which is quite clearly fantastic.

the film is slow obviously, and doesn't have the classical narrative progression that many typically associate/desire/need with a film. what is 'story'? for me there was more than enough occurring throughout the film. at times, yes, you could argue that it gets boring, but i mean - the characters are bored. the situation they are in is inherently boring - being lost in a fucking desert would be boring, in itself. it’s realistic, to a degree, and is a study of their response/reaction to the situation they are in. rhat seems to be your biggest quam, which I can understand, but i quite enjoy films that attempt and achieve something different to the simple disruption/resolution narrative progression.

i can't make much from sense from you saying it had 'no acting' (the performances of the two are very strong, to me they struck 'true', real), 'no direction' (? again i really don't understand what you are expecting the director to do? he helms a very strong piece in all facets.

i never said i thought it was a masterpiece or great or anything along those lines, i just thought it was fucking good.

Just saw The Orphanage. I honestly did not think horror movie plots could get any more cliched with the haunted house/evil children mishmash but this was actually very well put together and enjoyable. There was actually very little blood and onscreen deaths (with one pretty graphic exception), which is what I think the american horror market needs to be reminded of.

They ran the new Hellboy trailer from Del Toro. Man that thing looks like a piece of crap. I guess Pan's Laborynth was a hit so now the villian is an underground fairy kingdom instead of the occult/pulp science/folklore that I loved from Mignola. :(

I was rolling my eyes at the In Bruges preview. Looks and sounds like they wanted to rip off a Guy Richie movie, except instead of Jason Stanthon and his usual Irish crew fucking people up you have Colin Ferrel whining like a little bitch.

They ran the new Hellboy trailer from Del Toro. Man that thing looks like a piece of crap. I guess Pan's Laborynth was a hit so now the villian is an underground fairy kingdom instead of the occult/pulp science/folklore that I loved from Mignola. :(

That's dissapointing. I didn't particularly enjoy the first Hellboy, although it was still cool in the "Oh my god, Hellboy! On the screen!" sort of way. I think The Amazing Screw On Head pilot is probably the best executed Mignola piece so far.

That's dissapointing. I didn't particularly enjoy the first Hellboy, although it was still cool in the "Oh my god, Hellboy! On the screen!" sort of way. I think The Amazing Screw On Head pilot is probably the best executed Mignola piece so far.

i wish they had made it into a legit series. when my aunt worked @ williams street, i sent it to her and she gave it to brendan smalls, but i think sci-fi still owns the rights to the pilot.

hilarious nonetheless. wish it had gone somewhere.