Tattoos

a permanent colored scar on your body isn't just a tattoo.. it's you.

and if what you put on your body is terrible i'll blow a whistle.

Is it more the meaning behind that tattoo that you don't appreciate or the tattoo itself (style of the tattoo/ execution of the design) or both? I can understand a critique on the style (like the paint brush stroke ones a couple pages back) or tattoo done poorly (uneven lines, inconsistent thickness etc) but I don't get what the point is in calling someone out on the content of the tattoo and the meaning they find in it.

I keep my mouth shut on most things like the J4 tattoo for example. If somebody finds an image relevant enough to his life to tattoo it I will support him/ her which I have kept my mouth shut a lot. (unless it's a foreign auto maker for example).

On several levels I find the paint brush and line cut out tattoos to be absurd. The ink in the paint job will lose pattern and blob up quicker than shit and the line cut out heart bullshit is just wrong so I spoke up.. that's all i'm saying.

i like woman, i had a band/gang called the detroit birds, also i have rope around my ankles because clearly we cannot run freely through life. there's reasons for everything.

huh:confused:...... this reeks "sad attempt to interject meaning into my

traditional, generic sailorfag trash "(sorry) man i just don't

get it. is that a picture of your favourite cowgirl? the rare bird

your parents named you after or the image of the rope that

changed your life? that look like some flash you'd pick off the wall at 2AM,

drunk

I mean that it won't be for the symbolism or for some deep semiotic reason.

I agree .I think tattoos should be aesthetic more than meaningful. I mean they decorate your body so they should first of all be beautiful. I really dislike portraits of "my dog","my kid" etc. They might be meaningful but look crap. Amate of mine has a cock with a face and a pussy with a face tattoed on his feet,its soo terrible I just want to cry.

just to re-iterate, i wasnt hating on the tattoo, just was trying to clarify if that was his.

Im not one to judge peoples tattoos cuz thats pretty pretentious. Tattoos are and should be considered works of art. Some people like Michelangelo's style and some just like dogs playing poker. WHo's to say whats better?

i don't think it's THAT hard to have something meaningful on your body presented in an aesthetically pleasing way. i think if a person has good taste and isn't drunk they should be able to find a happy medium. i think tattoos without ANY meaning is kind of lame, but then again it can just be looked at as body decoration like an earring. i personally don't have any tattoos yet, cause i don't have anything important enough in my life that i would want marked on me forever. ive also took note of certain designs that i thought were interesting only to look back and think they suck a year later.

makes me glad i was patient.

/pointless ramble.

to make up for it here's my cwg friends tat/sideboob

0119092020_0001.jpg

^ i always thought you had a "memento mori" tatoo. must be someone else...

btw i've been thinking for a few years about a text tatoo and i still haven't come up with something i'd like to get inked. probably never gonna happen, not a bad thing i think.

^yeah, to me text tattoos are the most susceptible/fastest to going out of style/becoming cliched. pictures meanings can at least sort of change/bend with the years, but words will always mean the same thing..

yet text tattoos are the first tattoos most the kids at school get. and theyve all been pretty lame to begin with

smh

^ so badass.

yeah there's so many kids with "carpe diem" "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" "live laugh love" tatoos and it goes indefinitely.

once i saw a picture of a model with like 3 huge greek letters (maybe initials or something) on her arm and i thought it looked good, on the other hand.

^ so badass.

yeah there's so many kids with "carpe diem" "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" "live laugh love" tatoos and it goes indefinitely.

once i saw a picture of a model with like 3 huge greek letters (maybe initials or something) on her arm and i thought it looked good, on the other hand.

Someone at BJJ has Veni, Vidi, Vici. Another one that sounds good in principle but not really in practice. I'd prefer to get Dictum ad tu Mater...

^ so badass.

Don't forget "stay gold"!

Cliche phrases are kind of overdone but i like literary quotes

That all makes sense to me and I definitely get/ appreciate your points. I suppose my comments should have been more directed towards XY and others who made glib comments about the concept.

yeah, coming back, I've got to say I think I was out of line in that statement, and I apologize. :o

I think I just need to respect that bodies are bodies, and people have their own free will. I just have a lot of friends that have tattoos with such meaninglessness that they themselve's don't even know why they have them/regret them.

But, I did meet an ex-combat surgeon recently who tattooed all the names of the people he couldn't/wasn't able to save on his chest. It was really, really humbling to be in the presence of somebody who took his profession so seriously.

Once again, apologies for making such a blanket statement. I'm gonna go in for some sensitivity training. :)

The last time that I got tattooed I learned that Cliff Raven founded Chicago Tattoo co. some twenty five years ago on Chicago's north side. When I was getting tattooed in Ann Arbor awhile back Jeff Zuck told me that in the old sailor days homosexual tattoo artists would take on a bird as their last name as a silent nod to others. Thought that was some cool info.

The last time that I got tattooed I learned that Cliff Raven founded Chicago Tattoo co. some twenty five years ago on Chicago's north side. When I was getting tattooed in Ann Arbor awhile back Jeff Zuck told me that in the old sailor days homosexual tattoo artists would take on a bird as their last name as a silent nod to others. Thought that was some cool info.

Name dropping only works when people care about the names.