Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

what is this "gimme gimme" list

Just stupid shit I randomly recommend. ;)

My master list of must try's:

1. L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

2. Rose Poivree by The Different Company

3. Mitsouko by Guerlain

4. Declaration by Cartier

5. Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

6. Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens

7. Angeliques Sous La Pluis by Frederic Malle

8. Eau Sauvage by Dior

9. Eau Parfumee au The Verte Extreme by Bvlgari

10. Sequoia by Comme des Garcons

You might not like all of them (and I'm probably forgetting a few), but these happen to be my fav's.

After seeing the price of much of the stuff out there..that doesn't come across as too expensive, but I'm a bit jaded in that regard. Does it only come in the one size?

Yup, only one size. There is the non-ltd ed one that comes in 50ml for $85 though. I'll have to get a sample of that and compare.

Yup, only one size. There is the non-ltd ed one that comes in 50ml for $85 though. I'll have to get a sample of that and compare.

I have a feeling the regular edition is essentially the same, but in a slightly altered concentration.

anyone here try m7?

Not bad...it has quite the loyal following on basenotes.net.

1. L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

2. Rose Poivree by The Different Company

3. Mitsouko by Guerlain

4. Declaration by Cartier

7. Angeliques Sous La Pluis by Frederic Malle

8. Eau Sauvage by Dior

10. Sequoia by Comme des Garcons

We have very different tastes! My stupid Paris trip is now a stupid "Go nowhere and work all week trip"

fuck. fuck FUCK fuck FUCK FUCK!

Guess I'll webstore some of this stuff. FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I'm either gonna pick up some stuff from Frederic Malle or Different company in solace. What do you think? Thinking Frederic Malle just so I can own Carnal Flower.

We have very different tastes! My stupid Paris trip is now a stupid "Go nowhere and work all week trip"

fuck. fuck FUCK fuck FUCK FUCK!

Guess I'll webstore some of this stuff. FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I'm either gonna pick up some stuff from Frederic Malle or Different company in solace. What do you think? Thinking Frederic Malle just so I can own Carnal Flower.

I have a tiny sample of Carnal Flower, half of which I've decanted to various people, and its still lasted me a few years! That stuff is potent!

I love everything The Different Company makes...Bois D'Iris is genius, as is Rose Poivree. Sel de Vetiver is great if you're into vetiver, which I'm not, but I can still appreciate it. D'Ailleurs et Fleurs is a beautiful animalic orange blossom that's highly underrated.

I guess if we have different tastes, then you can probably ignore all of that. Did you not like anything on my list? :(

I guess if we have different tastes, then you can probably ignore all of that. Did you not like anything on my list? :(

No, no, not that at all. I recognize only four of them, and I'm not fond of those. The other six may be things I absolutely adore. I was just guessing that, with your experience, you've smelled all the ones I love, and they weren't your thing. It's just that, of the brands I know fairly well (L'artisan, Serge Lutens, and Bulgari - if Bulgari counts) your choices and mine are very different. But I'm not sophisticated about these things at all.

God damn this thread now I've been up all night reading up on various fragrance forums!!!

I'm gonne leave it to superfuture to give me some suggestions:

-Masculine rose scents that will last a few hours (night-out type kinda perfum) that have some sandalwood scents.

-Tea-type scents that I can pull off all day (nothing near strong)... maybe leaning more to black tea than green...

-Some scents that I may possibly attribute to the philippine islands... damp green, warm ocean, warm sun on woody odors... etc.

THanks!

Also sometime in March, I'll be going up to San Fran again to make rounds with any special fragrance places... In february I'll be running around L.A. doing this... it should be fun.

I just blindly bought 2 0.5 ozs bottles of odeur 71. I almost bought 53. But friend has it.

I know everyone is going to hate it/me.

I really like 71. 53 has the highest concentration of a synthetic called Hedione, which is a molecule found in jasmin (first used in Eau Sauvage in 66)...71 essentially uses 53 as a base.

Anyway, its nice...those little bottles are expensive...hope you got a good deal.

God damn this thread now I've been up all night reading up on various fragrance forums!!!

I'm gonne leave it to superfuture to give me some suggestions:

-Masculine rose scents that will last a few hours (night-out type kinda perfum) that have some sandalwood scents.

-Tea-type scents that I can pull off all day (nothing near strong)... maybe leaning more to black tea than green...

-Some scents that I may possibly attribute to the philippine islands... damp green, warm ocean, warm sun on woody odors... etc.

THanks!

Also sometime in March, I'll be going up to San Fran again to make rounds with any special fragrance places... In february I'll be running around L.A. doing this... it should be fun.

Masculine roses - Rose Poivree by The Different Company (rose, pepper & civet); Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie (rose & incense); Rose 31 by Le Labo; Voleur de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur (rose & patchouli); Rose d'Homme and Twill Rose by Parfum de Rosine; L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque (rose & blackcurrant leaves).

My favourite tea (besides Bvlgari) is Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume. Another great one ($$$) is Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes.

Damp wood -Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company; Terre D'Hermes; Four d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

San Francisco - Takashimaya

LA - Lucky Scent

No, no, not that at all. I recognize only four of them, and I'm not fond of those. The other six may be things I absolutely adore. I was just guessing that, with your experience, you've smelled all the ones I love, and they weren't your thing. It's just that, of the brands I know fairly well (L'artisan, Serge Lutens, and Bulgari - if Bulgari counts) your choices and mine are very different. But I'm not sophisticated about these things at all.

Which ones did you dislike...I'm curious! Those were just some of my personal favourites, I have lots of others that I like, but those top my recommendation list.

Which ones did you dislike...I'm curious! Those were just some of my personal favourites, I have lots of others that I like, but those top my recommendation list.

I'm not fond of any of these actually.

8. Eau Sauvage by Dior

Unless I'm confused and (6) is one of the Paris only ones. I thought I recalled it form Perfume House though.

The Lutens I've liked were - Chypre Rouge and Datura Noir.

The L'Artisans I've liked were - Safran Troublant, Mechant Loup, Dzing, Poivre Piquant, and actually the limited citrusy one. My most entertaining L'Artisan is Musc something Extreme which (according to at least three people) smells like rotting meat on me.

On the weird, but entertaining note, I may have mentioned this before, but one of the bond no. 9 scents smells like mcdonalds fries on my friend (the one with coffee in it).

I've quite liked Bulgari Black, but I don't really remember it being interesting enough to pick up again.

Gimme I have always wanted a fragrance that has an undertone of freshly washed laundry, possibly with a very light hint of flowers or herbs on top, but very minimal.

Any direction?

In North America, detergents often use musks ("white musk") to give that clean, just out of the washer smell, but European countries often use Orange Blossom-type scents. Either way, I would try:

-Dry Clean by Comme des Garcons (why not?)

-Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens (floral white musk)

-Angeliques Sous La Pluis by Frederic Malle (vegetal musk)

-Un Parfum d'Ailleurs et Fleurs by The Different Company (orange blossom & musk)

I'm not a big fan, but the company Clean makes those type of scents...they remind me a bit too much of detergents, but people seem to like them.

I'm not fond of any of these actually.

8. Eau Sauvage by Dior

Unless I'm confused and (6) is one of the Paris only ones. I thought I recalled it form Perfume House though.

The Lutens I've liked were - Chypre Rouge and Datura Noir.

The L'Artisans I've liked were - Safran Troublant, Mechant Loup, Dzing, Poivre Piquant, and actually the limited citrusy one. My most entertaining L'Artisan is Musc something Extreme which (according to at least three people) smells like rotting meat on me.

I've quite liked Bulgari Black, but I don't really remember it being interesting enough to pick up again.

I can see Bois Farine and Iris Silver Mist not being high on someone's list if they don't like iris. Eau Sauvage is a classic, which to some means old-fashioned, but I think its easy to wear and likeable. I haven't met anyone that didn't like Eau Parfumee...its so light and inoffensive, but whatever floats your boat. Did you know that it was the original formula for Fahrenheit? Dior pulled out at the last minute and went with another formula.

I wore Mure et Musc Extreme yesterday...can't say anyone's pointed out I smelled like rotting meat...mostly I just smell like blackberries. ;)

The ones I picked for that list are broad and covering a variety of men's categories, so that there would be something on there for everyone. I would never expect everyone to love all of them on the list, but there would be at least one that would suit pretty much every guy (that isn't into generic CK stuff anyway).

My reasoning:

1. L'Homme de Coeur by Divine - a light, fresh, woodsy green smell with a faint iris undertone. Good for someone who wants a daytime, work-y scent that's masculine. Also good for someone who likes gin!

2. Rose Poivree by The Different Company - loud, skanky, animalic and shocking. Ideal for someone wanting something shocking and strange

3. Mitsouko by Guerlain - classic, dusty, mossy with fruit undertones. Different concentrations make it a very versatile, classic, and mature scent.

4. Declaration by Cartier - classic "cologne" interpretation with a spicy cumin to make it different. For someone who wants a long-lasting, simple scent with a strange, b.o. twist thats good for day & night.

5. Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur - a gourmande with a floral twist. For those who attracted to the smell of food & nuts, but don't want to smell like a slice of cake.

6. Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens - a damp, rooty and cold smell. The ideal, rooty iris, for those who want dark and mysterious.

7. Angeliques Sous La Pluis by Frederic Malle - a peppery, fresh musk. Perfect for guys that like spice, but want to keep it fresh and clean smelling (ie - no cumin).

8. Eau Sauvage by Dior - another classic "cologne", but keeping the citrus prevalent. An easy choice for nostalgic, plain citrus. Good for summer.

9. Eau Parfumee au The Verte Extreme by Bvlgari - light, fresh tea with sparkly, citrus notes. Another great summer scent, but a bit more elegant and subtle.

10. Sequoia by Comme des Garcons - exotic, unique woods. Good for someone who wants something noticeable, different, and recognizable.

Without being overtly specific, I think there's something there for all the sufu boys who don't want to smell like every other guy. :P

Thanks, noted.

Dry Clean I'm not so fond of, find it too chemical.

Also not sure about the orange blossom.

But will check out when I get a chance.

And have read about Clean, just haven't had the chance to smell it yet.

Speaking of Mure et Musc (L'Artisan again), the original version has a large dose of Galaxolide, which is a synthetic musk often used in detergents. The blackberry is quite subtle in it, but it adds an interesting tart note that is quite nice. You might want to check that out too. ;)

I wore Mure et Musc Extreme yesterday...can't say anyone's pointed out I smelled like rotting meat...mostly I just smell like blackberries. ;)

2. Rose Poivree by The Different Company - loud, skanky, animalic and shocking. Ideal for someone wanting something shocking and strange

7. Angeliques Sous La Pluis by Frederic Malle - a peppery, fresh musk. Perfect for guys that like spice, but want to keep it fresh and clean smelling (ie - no cumin).

10. Sequoia by Comme des Garcons - exotic, unique woods. Good for someone who wants something noticeable, different, and recognizable.

The explanations help a lot! These are the three that look appealing, though for me something a bit heavier than the Angeliques will probably be more my thing. I tend to like darker musk scents.

I'm so jealous you can wear Mure et Musc Extreme.

The explanations help a lot! These are the three that look appealing, though for me something a bit heavier than the Angeliques will probably be more my thing. I tend to like darker musk scents.

I'm so jealous you can wear Mure et Musc Extreme.

Try French Lover/Bois D'Orage if you want something a bit stronger...its basically the same as ASLP, but heavier. Apparently the American version (Bois d'Orage) has a slightly altered formula though, so try the french if you can.

Rose Poivree also has a different formula in the States (allegedly), so another to try in Paris if you can. Its pretty darn loud though, so be prepared!

Are you sure your M&M Extreme hasn't gone bad or something??? I've never heard of anyone thinking it smelled anything but fruit!

Are you sure your M&M Extreme hasn't gone bad or something??? I've never heard of anyone thinking it smelled anything but fruit!

Actually, yes. It's a really nice scent, so when it smelled really bad on me, we pulled out another. It smelled the same. The scent smells wonderful on paper, and other people. But, on me . . . oh man. My friend who introduced me to L'Artisan has filled like 1/4 of her store with it, so we had plenty of bottles to try from. It's just that it reacts with my skin. I really don't know why.

Actually, yes. It's a really nice scent, so when it smelled really bad on me, we pulled out another. It smelled the same. The scent smells wonderful on paper, and other people. But, on me . . . oh man. My friend who introduced me to L'Artisan has filled like 1/4 of her store with it, so we had plenty of bottles to try from. It's just that it reacts with my skin. I really don't know why.

Strange. Well, if the fruity stuff goes strange on you, maybe the skanky stuff will go sweet! Go for Musc Koublai Khan!

Damn! Is that why mine smells like pepper and roses, and I sniff in vain for cat butt? ;)

Ha...quite possibly. I'm gonna send you a french sample anyway. If you don't get cat butt from this one, you're imune! I'll send you some actual civet too...I just have to find a way to double-bottle it. I fear a break could wreak havoc at your post office...possibly even lead to deranged cats rioting all up the west coast.