Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

A reccomendation on Citrus scent: Cdg's PLAY. Although it doesn't work on my skin... It smelled sooo much better on the piece of paper :(.

I just brought Kyoto a few months ago, and I can't stop sniffing myself everytime I wear it. It's so good! I couldn't decide between Zagorsk(too lonely/invert and melonchaly smelling), White(am afraid that I would only wear it with a white outfit :P), Skai(eventually smelled a bit sweaty and urine-ish on my skin, really liked how it smelled on paper tho) and Seqouia(Kyoto is better), oh, and Rhubarb is also a greaaaattt scent, for the summer.

It actually smells a better from far away than close to your skin. It lasts a reaalllyyy long time. Someone described it as smelling a citrus fruit through a bandage/ together with a bandage box, with a hint of plastic.

And I only bought it because the owner of the store put it on his hand to let me whiff it,(because I already wore Skai), and it was SO different from all the other scents (I tried like 8/9 different ones) that I bought it immediately, it really hit me has a fresh and happy scent. But it's really shits on my skin, I'm still trying from time to time to maybe appreciate it, but to no avail... Too bad that it's only available in the 100 oZ bottles....

If you're looking to spend some cash, try Frederic Malle. Angeliques Sous La Pluis (lightest), Vetiver Extraordinaire (medium), and Noir Epices (heavy) are all really nice, and in a similar vein to the L'Artisan's that you have.

In the same price range, The Different Company has Sel de Vetiver and Rose Poivree that you might like.

Both sell directly from their website, and will also list retailers.

You know I'd rep you if I could. Will check those out when I'm in paris in March.

Casual/versatile scents (from Luckyscent):

-Gendarme

-Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company

-Navegar by L'Artisan

-Grand Siecle by Parfumerie Generale

Thanks, Navegar sounds good and is decently priced. A friend of mine (doesn't live near me) has a comme de garcons scent that he's always raving about and was telling me to check out that brand. Anything i should look for from them? I think he has either CDG #2 or CDG Original. Or maybe both.

You know I'd rep you if I could. Will check those out when I'm in paris in March.

Presents from Paris in lieu of rep will suffice. :D Make sure you check out Serge Lutens while you're in Paris as well...beautiful store, beautiful scents.

...and if you come back with treasures from 45rpm, I officially hate you. :mad:

Thanks, Navegar sounds good and is decently priced. A friend of mine (doesn't live near me) has a comme de garcons scent that he's always raving about and was telling me to check out that brand. Anything i should look for from them? I think he has either CDG #2 or CDG Original. Or maybe both.

I'm not a big fan of the original CDG or #2...I like White a lot (which is based on the original), as well as 2man. My other favs are Sequoia and Harrisa from Series 2, Ouzz...something or other from the Incense Series, Rhubarb from the Sherbet Series, and Vettiveru from the Cologne Series.

2man is what it he had now that you mentioned it. Luckyscents does not not have any sample vials of that. Do you know of a place that does? I want to make sure i still like it and like it on my skin. The only place i found a sample vial of it charged $7 shipping so i just went with a few off luckyscents. Hopefully, i can find a way to try 2man one of these days.

2man is what it he had now that you mentioned it. Luckyscents does not not have any sample vials of that. Do you know of a place that does? I want to make sure i still like it and like it on my skin. The only place i found a sample vial of it charged $7 shipping so i just went with a few off luckyscents. Hopefully, i can find a way to try 2man one of these days.

The only place I know besides luckyscent is maybe www.theperfumedcourt.com. They're expensive as well though.

It doesn't look very exclusive in it's black plastic spraycan, but I really like Lush's GoGreen Bodyspray. Smells like a forest a really wet morning. It's really affordable too, only 20 bucks. I guess it's pretty unisex. Don't bother reading what Lush says about it though. They're silly as always. Just smell it.

They make it themselves in England and the oils in it is: Grapefruit Oil (Citrus grandis), Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia), Tarragon Oil (Artemisia dracunculus), Thyme Oil (Thymus vulgaris), Violet Leaf Absolute (Viola odorata), Oakmoss Absolute (Evernia prunastri), Neroli Oil (Citrus amara), Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album), Cedar Leaf Oil (Thuja Occidentalis), Fennel Oil (Foeniculum vulgare),

It doesn't look very exclusive in it's black plastic spraycan, but I really like Lush's GoGreen Bodyspray. Smells like a forest a really wet morning. It's really affordable too, only 20 bucks. I guess it's pretty unisex. Don't bother reading what Lush says about it though. They're silly as always. Just smell it.

They make it themselves in England and the oils in it is: Grapefruit Oil (Citrus grandis), Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia), Tarragon Oil (Artemisia dracunculus), Thyme Oil (Thymus vulgaris), Violet Leaf Absolute (Viola odorata), Oakmoss Absolute (Evernia prunastri), Neroli Oil (Citrus amara), Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album), Cedar Leaf Oil (Thuja Occidentalis), Fennel Oil (Foeniculum vulgare),

I can appreciate the approach to their store, but I can't go in it...the stench is overwhelming, even for me.

Hazel in the new Hazelton Hotel. Store seems to sell ballgown-looking dresses, etc. when I walked by. I haven't gone in yet.

I checked it out last month. The store is gross (Overpriced garbage for Yorkville matrons. how bout a silk/cashmere reversible beanie with a skull on one side and a pot leaf on the other for 400? cutting edge.) but the cb i hate perfumes smell pretty incredible. They had i think 6 or 7 different ones, but not Black Marsh, which I wanted to experience most. Burning leaves is unbelievable, fall in a bottle, and my friend bought Winter 1972 which is indescribable but really beautiful. Soft and mysterious and slightly sweet like fresh snow in a mountain cabin melting on your top lip. Deff. feminine.

i think i am gonna pick up skai or dry clean from cdg, so cheap and i don't think i gave them a fair "smell" on them before, they are really nice! and so is soda, but it smells way more common imo

I have all 3 and Skai is my favorite. Actually Skai has been my 'go to' smell for some time now. Great scent to wear while going out and something completely different than your average night scent. I also get many compliments on it.

Soda is my summer scent, lime and refreshing but still somehow modern and industrial. It feels great on a summer afternoon when you're having brunch with some caipirinhas.

Dry Clean is very ummm clean. I like to wear it with dress shirts while going out for dinner or during work. Not something I can see myself wearing to the bar or club.

I checked it out last month. The store is gross (Overpriced garbage for Yorkville matrons. how bout a silk/cashmere reversible beanie with a skull on one side and a pot leaf on the other for 400? cutting edge.) but the cb i hate perfumes smell pretty incredible. They had i think 6 or 7 different ones, but not Black Marsh, which I wanted to experience most. Burning leaves is unbelievable, fall in a bottle, and my friend bought Winter 1972 which is indescribable but really beautiful. Soft and mysterious and slightly sweet like fresh snow in a mountain cabin melting on your top lip. Deff. feminine.

That sucks...was supposed to be a nice store. Oh well, I guess it is Toronto after all. I was hoping that they'd have more than 6 or 7 bottles of the I Hate Perfume too. Still gonna check it out when im in the neighbourhood.

paging gimmegimme

what's your opinion on santa maria novella?

im thinking of getting the pot pourris

They seem to have a big fan-base, but I'm not part of it. It all smells very medicinal and astringent. I saw how they were novel in the past, being the oldest pharmacy in the world, etc., but since LVMH took over, things went downhill. I was actually given a full bottle of the pot pourri, but I gave it away. Anyway, those are just my personal feelings, they're still interesting and worth smelling...they're just not for me.

i think i am gonna pick up skai or dry clean from cdg, so cheap and i don't think i gave them a fair "smell" on them before, they are really nice! and so is soda, but it smells way more common imo

I used to have a bottle of Garage, which I thought was the most interesting when I was visiting the store...turned out to not be the wisest choice. :( Skai and dry clean would now be my definite picks.

Yeah I think I will try Skai again; when I first smelt it disturbing images of the movie "8 MM" came up in my head (weirrdddd) but the drydown was amazingly good. I don't know maybe I'll buy a bottle.

Presents from Paris in lieu of rep will suffice. :D Make sure you check out Serge Lutens while you're in Paris as well...beautiful store, beautiful scents.

Serge Lutens is also sold at an extremely strange shop in Portland, Oregon (the Perfume House). It is packed to the brim with colognes and perfumes, including the largest collection of L'Artisan I've ever seen including their Paris stores and god knows what else. There are Faberge eggs apparently awarded to the owner strewn around the place. However, he seems to have had a little too much fun with his perfume. He sprays each perfume he wants you to smell on a cotton ball in his hand something like 10 times and never seems to know. you'll have to step outside now and again to survive, but selection is amazing.

Serge Lutens is also sold at an extremely strange shop in Portland, Oregon (the Perfume House). It is packed to the brim with colognes and perfumes, including the largest collection of L'Artisan I've ever seen including their Paris stores and god knows what else. There are Faberge eggs apparently awarded to the owner strewn around the place. However, he seems to have had a little too much fun with his perfume. He sprays each perfume he wants you to smell on a cotton ball in his hand something like 10 times and never seems to know. you'll have to step outside now and again to survive, but selection is amazing.

I've dealt with them before actually...they carry CDG as well I believe.

Serge Lutens has two different lines...one that's sold throughout the world, and one that's only sold in Paris at Les Salons Shiseido. The real jems are in Paris...so definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. The Paris line are much riskier and more "avante-garde"...I was blown away by almost all of them.

whats a nice good cologne my jean paul gautier is almost done so i want something nice that not a lot of people have the other cologne i have is chrome by azarro

I keep suggesting the same stuff over and over...but whatever. Try Dior Homme, Terre D'Hermes and Declaration by Cartier.

hey gimme,

i stopped wearing perfumes a while ago, mainly due to the fact that the scent would annoy me or give me a headache. in fact everything i use now is unscented.

viewing the serge luten store has made me consider giving some another go..

two questions; are all the fragrances by serge luten for men and are any particuarly light or something someone who doesnt want to be over powered could wear?

thanks for info

Nice to hear you're willing to give it another go.

None of the Lutens scents are labelled as men's or women's...but some are definitely more masculine and some feminine. I'd have to say that they're not the lightest scents on the market.

I'd say the closest to what you're probably looking for are Iris Silver Mist, which opens with an unusual vegetal smell (almost like carrots), but soon dries down into a soft iris (which is a root...they don't use the flower in perfumery). Its also one of the more masculine smells. (this one is part of the Paris exclusive line btw)

Mandarine Mandarin would be my next suggestion if you're looking for something warmer smelling. Its not "light" necessarily, but if you apply it minimally, it can be subtle.

Gris Clair, again applied lightly, might also appeal to you.

Most of the others are very sweet and pungent.

hey gimme,

i stopped wearing perfumes a while ago, mainly due to the fact that the scent would annoy me or give me a headache. in fact everything i use now is unscented.

viewing the serge luten store has made me consider giving some another go..

two questions; are all the fragrances by serge luten for men and are any particuarly light or something someone who doesnt want to be over powered could wear?

thanks for info

okay, so i've missed a vast majority of this thread, but it's a great one. gimme, ignore these if they've been answered, but do you work in the industry? where does the vast knowledge swell from?

further to the thread, i know the fragrance has been discussed, but CDGMan2 was my most recent pick up, and I'm astounded by it. The staying power doesn't strike me as great on your skin, but it clings to clothing and i have a nice spicy scent clinging to scarves and coats that I really enjoy. strong application, but dries really nicely with the citrus notes coming out far more strongly than you would anticipate from smelling a sample. masculine without being overbearing. look forward to trying some others out in the future.

what's the wrod on the candles? worth the extreme price point? nomad (shop in toronto) has this amazing aroma that one scent doesn't seem to dominate, but rather i'm thinking its a mix of the 20 different CDG scents they have in-store that mixes wonderfully and creates something new. thoughts?