coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

• 2 weeks later...

in stumptown's website, they say that the cafe solo is the best way of making coffee.

can anyone vouch for that? deciding that or a french press

and im looking at some hand grinders and a lot of people here say hario is pretty good but on amazon there are mix review saying it was inconsistent, quality, etc. etc.

in stumptown's website, they say that the cafe solo is the best way of making coffee.

can anyone vouch for that? deciding that or a french press.

Best is subjective.

French Press delivers a strong, bold flavor because the grinds really get to steep with the water and you get full immersion and extraction, but then the coffee itself gets some sediment in there and can be a little muddy.

If you like a super clean cup you should consider a filter method, like a Clever dripper or Chemex. Clever drippers give you full immersion and extraction, but the paper keeps the sediment from coming through. Some people claim that you can taste the filter paper in the coffee, but I've never really noticed it. Maybe my palate is not that advanced.

There's siphon coffeemakers which also deliver a clean cup of coffee, but it doesn't seem like too many people choose this as their primary home preparation; not sure why, maybe because it's a bit more labor intensive than the rest?

My suggestion is to try all of the methods at a good coffee shop and see if you can tell the difference between them - if you can, choose the one you like the best. In truth, any of these methods, coupled with fresh beans and a good grinder, will beat coffee served in most places.

Best is subjective.

French Press delivers a strong, bold flavor because the grinds really get to steep with the water and you get full immersion and extraction, but then the coffee itself gets some sediment in there and can be a little muddy.

If you like a super clean cup you should consider a filter method, like a Clever dripper or Chemex. Clever drippers give you full immersion and extraction, but the paper keeps the sediment from coming through. Some people claim that you can taste the filter paper in the coffee, but I've never really noticed it. Maybe my palate is not that advanced.

There's siphon coffeemakers which also deliver a clean cup of coffee, but it doesn't seem like too many people choose this as their primary home preparation; not sure why, maybe because it's a bit more labor intensive than the rest?

My suggestion is to try all of the methods at a good coffee shop and see if you can tell the difference between them - if you can, choose the one you like the best. In truth, any of these methods, coupled with fresh beans and a good grinder, will beat coffee served in most places.

thanks, AJ. do you any suggestions on a good grinder? and what method/technique do you do at home?

Well put aj. IMO nothing beats French press for my morning cup. It's the fastest but i still get a great cup especially when I'm strapped for time. Just something to consider.

i think i might go for french press because of the time element. and i don't have to buy filters!

thanks, AJ. do you any suggestions on a good grinder? and what method/technique do you do at home?

i think i might go for french press because of the time element. and i don't have to buy filters!

At home I french press; at the office I either use a Chemex or a Capresso drip pot that has a built in burr grinder (I think it's called the CoffeeTEAM). With good beans, even a plain old drip pot can produce some great tasting coffee.

As far as grinders go, everyone seems to be recommending the Baratza Virtuoso or the hand-operated Hario Skerton. I personally want to give this Bodum Bistro a try, as it has a glass container that prevents static cling for coffee grinds.

At home I french press; at the office I either use a Chemex or a Capresso drip pot that has a built in burr grinder (I think it's called the CoffeeTEAM). With good beans, even a plain old drip pot can produce some great tasting coffee.

As far as grinders go, everyone seems to be recommending the Baratza Virtuoso or the hand-operated Hario Skerton. I personally want to give this Bodum Bistro a try, as it has a glass container that prevents static cling for coffee grinds.

virtuoso is much better than the bistro, it's a decent little grinder on a budget but I would recommend spending the extra money and getting the virtuoso. it has a much better burr set, which you'll be thankful for in the long run

want to order a pound or so of coffee. anyone have any retailer suggestions or blends/varieties to try? Would like to pay around $13-15 shipped.

for starters you could try: counter culture, intelligentsia, or stumptown. all ship soon after roasting and have great options at that $13-$15 range. you may also have some very good roasters locally, but the crazy thing is that unless you are diligent about checking roasting dates you may get fresher coffee from the internet.

Yes, do share.... I'm headed up there for work next week. Anything worth checking out in Boston proper?

Super late but I can name a few:

- Pavement near Berklee brews Counter Culture

- Voltage in Kendall brews Stumptown (I think)

- Diesel in Davis Square brews intelligentsia, but I wasn't really happy with it

- Thinking Cup near Boston Common brews Stumptown

They will all do pour-overs, but you may have to ask them.

My favorite is Cafe Fixe in Brookline. I have only had espresso drinks there, but the two baristas I've seen there are informed and detail-oriented.

• 2 weeks later...

And to keep things on topic.

That thing looks nice, but such a waste of money. All I do throw some beans and water in a 1:3 ratio to steep in a resealable glass container, shake every now and then, and filter after a couple hours using my Kone. Multipurpose and a lot cheaper.

Can anyone offer some good options for coffee without any dairy?

From my experience, I really enjoyed iced coffee (vietnamese style) but I am pretty sure it contains some kind of dairy.

I do not mind black coffee, but is the only way to making it sweeter is adding more sugar?

Btw, I live in california if it helps stating my location.