what are you eating today?

soepom

Pie shaped food for, well, easy eating?

Bibingka, which I'm guessing is a sort of rice/flour cake, with salted egg, wrapped in banana leaves and cooked over a fire. Meant to be eaten with coconut, the fresh stuff has this amazing subtly flavor.

3974276862_bc16d730ff.jpg

And eff, Costco Pizza, which even half a world away, tastes exactly the same as it does in L.A.

4008430438_479e74c07b.jpg

Couple days later. Too much food TV, led me to plate dinner for everyone at home. Plain, relatively mundane Adobo, Rice, Dilis and tomatoes.

4007666869_2140cb6236.jpg

i really need to practice shooting in low light settings .... hate noisy pictures. Anybody got some tips besides tripod..

4009559397_11fba5d981.jpg

4009559879_5529ddc9a5.jpg

Left: Chocolate Fondant, Middle: Earl Grey ice cream rolled in cookies and cream on top of a white chocolate and pandan parfait, Right: Blow-torched marshmallow with a shot of raspberry bitter chocolate fondue.

i really need to practice shooting in low light settings .... hate noisy pictures. Anybody got some tips besides tripod..

If you don't have a tripod, use as high of an iso that you're comfortable with and the lowest aperature. Aside from that just do your best to keep as still as possible, holding your breath usually helps. If you've got a flash, bounce it off the ceiling for good light.

Margherita Penne w/ Parmesan

95d88414.png

Another Philly, this time with homemade Wiz:

638cac02.png

Anyone from up and around Philly (or maybe that just has the know) know what makes an "authentic" cheesesteak?

Japanese restaurant in Hong Kong

scallops: a little too strong on the flavoring, but good

9522_174398181677_688436677_3750564_4019076_n.jpg

sukiyaki

9522_174398286677_688436677_3750566_553321_n.jpg

some sashimi that i ate halfway before remembering i had my camera

9522_174398336677_688436677_3750567_3975905_n.jpg

and dessert at Honeymoon Dessert

9522_174398511677_688436677_3750570_898351_n.jpg

photo.php?pid=3750570&id=688436677

is this hanagushi in lan kwai fong?

looks familiar. food there is pretty damn good.

This time around Adobo. A fancier, restaurant cousin.

4007671285_75e65f46ec.jpg

That's best recommended with.. Dilis rice, which could have been crispier. I would've paid to have those things just shatter with every bite.

4008434566_c4b940cf24.jpg

And, indecisiveness led to just more pork. Lechon Kawali. Normally a hit, I'm thinking oily fried pork is losing its novelty.

4008438454_8b8f4b1680.jpg

Another Philly, this time with homemade Wiz:

Anyone from up and around Philly (or maybe that just has the know) know what makes an "authentic" cheesesteak?

Good Italian Roll (dambrosio bakery is one that gets a lot of shine but it isnt a criteria), Steak (generally flank. Sliced thin), and cheese (provolone and cheez whiz being the 2 most popular).

I'd say the rest is all matter of preference (onions, mushrooms, hot peppers, ketchup, mustard).

I prefer Pats of the main 3 (Pat's, Gino's, Jim's). Their meat is more toothsome (bigger slices, as opposed to a shredded quality) and their locale (only outdoor seating/ordering. this is important as Jim's is indoors and after just making it through the ordering process you stink of meat and onions) is best for an over all good time in south philly.

Their are others out there but generally Pat's, Jim's, Gino's are the 3 that get the most debate over who is best. Also the oldest.

I'm from Delaware, not Philadelphia.

Lamberts in Austin, Tx.

Calls itself "fancy barbecue." Great old building and great bar upstairs. www.lambertsaustin.com

Happy hour = half priced bar food.

21cwoe9.jpg

Wood Grilled Natural Cheese Burger. Very straight forward and classic burger. Really, really damn good. hh = $5

rsfsro.jpg

Crispy Wild Boar Ribs. Great flavor, pretty lean, not gamey at all. Nice sweet and sour glaze. Loved the daikon slaw. hh = $5.5

20f69nt.jpg

There was also a Barbecue Plate with chicken, jicama slaw, and green chili grits. I didn't try the chicken, but the slaw and grits were both great. Especially the grits. I love grits and green chiles, though, so...

Shared some chips and green chili queso to start and some spectacular bread pudding with in-house made ice cream to finish. Bread pudding was so good.

Flank steak is too lean. You need something fattier. I think ribeye is traditional. It should be sliced very thin so it cooks quickly.

You could very well be right. i've never asked the type of cut used, just always assumed.

Also, Amorsos rolls are the ones most widely used. Not D'ambrosios.

To see the whole thing with detailed descriptions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lennardy/sets/72157622314928251/

Adria

dsc4655assmartobject1.jpg

Sugar Cane infused with mojito and caipirinha

dsc4667assmartobject1.jpg

"Handkerchief" : Corn Paper

dsc4668assmartobject1.jpg

Gin Fizz cocktail

dsc4677assmartobject1.jpg

Cherry Umeboshi, Spherified Olives, Mimetics peanuts, Sesame cookie

dsc4678assmartobject1.jpg

dsc4681assmartobject1o.jpg

Rose Frost: Passionfruit sorbet shaped into a rose

dsc4701assmartobject1.jpg

Black Sesame 40-second microwave spongecake with miso

dsc4702assmartobject1.jpg

Chicken Skin Canape: Crispy Chicken skin and braised chicken cartilage

dsc4709assmartobject1.jpg

Prawn to firings(?), intense prawn stock made from prawn brainz. Then a raw prawn with its head fried tempura style

dsc4717assmartobject1.jpg

Pumpkin and Almond Sandwich: Pumpkin air, truffles and almond

dsc4733assmartobject1.jpg

Sea Anemone

dsc4739assmartobject1.jpg

Abalone: Abalone, Iberian ham fat gelee, Ginger gelee, mushrooms, seaweed

dsc4746assmartobject1.jpg

Rabbit canape with its giblets: Crispy rabbit ears, rabbit brain, heart, kidney, and liver, and snails eggs

dsc4752assmartobject1.jpg

Cherry and Kirsch: Kirsch foam, with chocolate covered liquid cherries

dsc4761assmartobject1u.jpg

Coco: Frozen Orb of Coconut, topped with curry powder

dsc4763assmartobject1x.jpg

Chocolate handkerchief

dsc4772assmartobject1.jpg

When you order tea

dsc4777assmartobject1.jpg

Morphings: Petit too-manys

dsc4779assmartobject1.jpg

dsc4781assmartobject1.jpg

Good Italian Roll (dambrosio bakery is one that gets a lot of shine but it isnt a criteria), Steak (generally flank. Sliced thin), and cheese (provolone and cheez whiz being the 2 most popular).

I'd say the rest is all matter of preference (onions, mushrooms, hot peppers, ketchup, mustard).

I prefer Pats of the main 3 (Pat's, Gino's, Jim's). Their meat is more toothsome (bigger slices, as opposed to a shredded quality) and their locale (only outdoor seating/ordering. this is important as Jim's is indoors and after just making it through the ordering process you stink of meat and onions) is best for an over all good time in south philly.

Their are others out there but generally Pat's, Jim's, Gino's are the 3 that get the most debate over who is best. Also the oldest.

I'm from Delaware, not Philadelphia.

pat's is more chopped than gino's. gino's has the thick slices. and they both use rib eye.

i prefer pats, but there are better cheesesteaks out there than these 2.

there are many variants, but an original philly is rib eye, onions, and provolone. cheese whiz is a modern classic.

Wow, thank god its a new page. My food posts do not really even deserve to be on the same page. For me, there's something about El Bulli, or even just Basque country food in general, Mugaritz, and Arzak, that I put on a pedestal.

There's places, I'd be lucky to eat in, and then.. there's places i'd be lucky to eat in before I die. That is one of them. Amazing photos, thanks.

Here's my now rather crummy looking lunch with the family.

4007674901_a1081c270f.jpg

Sushi, notably the spicy baby octopus, and the spicy tuna in the foreground.

4007678023_2aa9ffa2e7.jpg

Cold noodles in a tea broth.

4008445012_26111a527d.jpg

A real generous helping of duck, crispy, oily, good.

4008446776_2b252c0962.jpg

With steamed Seabass, which was hit or miss. I probably tasted the entire spectrum of "done-ness", from undercooked, incredibly sweet, to tectonic plates of dry fish.

4007683195_8e0ea7acee.jpg

Some amazing Prime Rib which I couldn't find any fault in. Fat and lean than just melted together perfectly.

4008451254_6f5b6be679.jpg

Chicken Shawarma, and the rest of the Indian fare behind it.

4008458496_33e9a339d1.jpg

Rock Lobster, I think, with a generous dose of mozzarella, then melted on a grill.

4008460234_3200d056cb.jpg

And pastries, which went from the mundanely pleasing, to oddly fun.

4007687359_0a2edf590d.jpg

I doubt he'll ever draw inspiration from western fast food

you mean american fast food ;)

yeah i doubt it will reference american burgers but at the same time i really like the gastro-pub burgers found on this side of the pond, and i'm guessing a fast good burger isn't going to be too far from it...

Was bored, so I documented the process of making bacon fried rice.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Had a filet-o-fish earlier...and I didn't have any ketchup at home, so :o

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

Cooked the bacon through, but not crispy. Upped the flavor of the leftover rice by creating a garlic paste (garlic, salt, some sugar) and mixed the paste into the rice and let that sit for a while before frying. I liked the results.