what are you eating today?

soepom

tea with tweedles at front row

img0449dk7.jpg

^he ordered a dose of inspiration to go with his intellectual consumption of nietzche.

i had a few cups of happiness instead. god knows i could do with some.

img0450jb8.jpg

yes. they have cheesy names for their tea. don't shoot me - i didn't name 'em.

dinner: felt very....very wanton

wayet0523tk3.jpg

i only just realised - this was all i ate today. damn. one-meal-days must end.

that said, i had red wine, erdinger and hectic jazz for supper. not too shabby.

how come you singaporeans eat soo many eggs..

i dont mind em, but i feel kinda sick eating too many in one day

I was told by local SG friends that back in the old days everybody ate a runny egg for breakfast. Its considered healthy.

today is one of those days where i wish i had a camera, i had the essential comfort food. my moms meatloaf and gravy, sweet corn, mashed potatoes, white rice, and some potato bread for sopping. so good.

nettiemoore, food seems kind of sloppy for VanCity standards. Ghetto place? I'm chinese too if you haven't noticed lol

indeed, i agree but for the price i paid cant really complain. it was from hons at downtown.

in total all of it was16 dollars...so pretty cheap. dont eat there all the time though, i usually eat home cooked chinese meals.

how come you singaporeans eat soo many eggs..

i dont mind em, but i feel kinda sick eating too many in one day

yeah we eat truckloads of eggs. i just exhausted my carton of 30 eggs in 2 weeks. that's why we're so healthy :)

I was told by local SG friends that back in the old days everybody ate a runny egg for breakfast. Its considered healthy.

that's right! it was an affordable source of protein for people then. we're still doing it now. not "a" runny egg, but TWO! did you try it when you were here? it's usually consumed with a drizzle of dark soy sauce and white pepper. but i slurp it neat.

how does deer taste? kinda gamey?

it tastes kinda like beef, but a lot more tender. the fat content is much lower compared to beef too.

breakfast

img7154ip6.jpg

This is like sandwich kaiseki-style...

Anyway, for supper last night...

sufu127.jpg

Mow matcha ice-cream cup with matching green tea choc-sticks. Yes, I bought it for the feline-reminiscent name...

Then lunch today (skipped breakfast):

sufu129.jpg

Went all Hainanese. White chicken rice with pickles, pork chop rice, gingko soup. Water chestnut and lime juice to wash it down.

Very home-cooked feel, this place.

Went totally ol' skool for dinner. Cheap, tasty comfort food in an old estate kopitiam with the atmosphere of a cheesy 50's communal wedding dinner.

P1040223.jpg

The staple dish you see above is economic bee hoon, so called because I assume it fills the stomach for close to no cost and can thus feed an entire family cheaply.

Accompanying it are: crispy fried chicken wings (out of this world good), stir-fried cabbage, sweet Taiwanese sausage, fish cakes and otah (minced fish paste).

Total cost of meal for four hungry people: SG$19.00

A close-up of the chicken, fish cakes, sausage and otah...

P1040225.jpg

P1040226.jpg

P1040225.jpg

HOLY SHIT! its the chicken wings from commonwealth food centre. i know the joint! mad props! that one dish is one of the few i remember from my days back in singapore. i swear i could eat a tub of those greasy little fuckers all by myself. especially when accompanied with the chilli sauce.

HELLA YUMM

This is like sandwich kaiseki-style...

Anyway, for supper last night...

sufu127.jpg

Mow matcha ice-cream cup with matching green tea choc-sticks. Yes, I bought it for the feline-reminiscent name...

Then lunch today (skipped breakfast):

sufu129.jpg

Went all Hainanese. White chicken rice with pickles, pork chop rice, gingko soup. Water chestnut and lime juice to wash it down.

Very home-cooked feel, this place.

very nice.

i too like the white chicken rice with pickles and pork chop rice. its one of my favorite meals either for lunch or dinner.

rare friday night dinner at home:

wayet0525wu1.jpg

wayet0525arq8.jpg

teppanyaki/steamboat of 10 different types of fungi. i don't even know the english names for most of them. that said, shitake mushroom tastes a little chocolatey when roasted to a crisp. lovely. now all that's left is for me to try real shrooms i guess.

wayet0525bwc3.jpg

steamed crab on glutinous rice - as i was eating this, i was thinking of how i am going to describe it so you guys can even have some idea of how good this tasted. the subtle sweetness of fresh seafood...the firm white flesh that flakes and melts in your mouth...the creamy (yet crispy?) "roe"... fuck. it just tasted so so good. overwhelming, but not overpowering.

wayet0525cxf3.jpg

dessert would've been nice ordinarily. but today, i actually resented it for distracting my tongue from the lingering memories of a crustacean dream.

wayet0525bwc3.jpg

The crabs look like they're hugging the rice, haha! So cute...

Anyway, I too had mushrooms and crab today... of a cheaper and less gourmet quality than your meal was, oh Mistress mine.

P1040227.jpg

And here's what was left of a hasty dinner. Grabbed a light meal before heading to a champagne-guzzling soiree..

P1040229.jpg

Thai stuffed chicken wings, fish cakes, soft-shell crab and sticky mango pudding (not shown).