what are you eating today?

soepom

The only reason I can come up with for a white person named vanilla wafer on the internet to call a watery chicken soup with beans a 'chili' is that they were home schooled and never taken to anything remotely American in their lifetimes.

I've never seen anyone be so verbally chastised due to their chili. sorry, I'll work on being a better American

girl-shrugging.jpg

sorry in advance for the pic overload... got invited to dinner at Inagiku again. this time it was a ridiculous 9 course dinner.

fugu

6157425663_be49c7986e_z.jpg

delish japtomato

6157425815_18d6fcfab3_z.jpg

sashimi

6157425945_2ae38cfe28_z.jpg

sushi (toro + uni)

6157969320_65c5c2a88d_z.jpg

tempura

6157969460_c83ffa6321_z.jpg

prawns, lobster and abalone on deck

6157969622_fdf250dcaf_z.jpg

huge mother abalone

6157970144_bd97f1dbc1_z.jpg

abalone

6157427043_af65937e8f_z.jpg

to be continued.

I think it's about nuking them really quickly to blast the membranes. Room temperature does make the little membrane walls more prone to breaking, though, thus giving more juice. Microwave for 15 seconds, then roll on your cutting board, pressing down with your palm a few times - it really does work, if you juice on a press there'll be nothing left in the peel if you do it right. Just don't microwave too long or you cook the juice.

Probably a combination of both. Having started working on cocktails at home a few months ago, I've been going through my fair share of lemons/limes and can vouch for the fact that fruits will more easily give up their juice at room temperature. Picture slicing a tomato straight from the fridge as opposed to one that's been sitting out on the picnic table on a sunny afternoon. The rolling motion is helpful as well -- this is where rupturing the cell walls comes into play. Since we pretty much have to keep fruits like that in the fridge to retard spoilage, the best thing to do is take out the fruit you need on the days you need it and let it hang out on the counter. Microwaving is good in a pinch, but I have a nagging feeling it affects the flavor. You want your steaks to come to room temperature before you sear them, but you wouldn't nuke them to get them there. Not sure if the same issues apply to citrus fruits...probably 99% of the time you wouldn't notice unless the fruit is playing a very forward role in your preparation. With cocktails, for example, there've even been tests done which determined marked differences in taste between lime juice squeezed from machine vs. press, fresh-squeezed vs. 4-hour-old juice (4-hr is better, surprisingly -- but quality drops significantly past a certain point, somewhere around 7-8 hours, and one definitely shouldn't use day-old juice ever), etc.

The only reason I can come up with for a white person named vanilla wafer on the internet to call a watery chicken soup with beans a 'chili' is that they were home schooled and never taken to anything remotely American in their lifetimes.
In any case, dish in question is definitely not chili.

Superfuture Clean-n-Neat: Bled, eviscerated and finely shaved with a mandoline.

edit: Thanks dis & hearts for bringing the citrus knowledge.

Hearts, it's just oxidation taking place. I don't think microwaving for 15 seconds with the peel on will oxidize the fruit inside too much, unless you have a 30,000W microwave that can cook it that fast. It should normally just barely warm the peel, at most.

delish japtomato

6157425815_18d6fcfab3_z.jpg

These are amazing, I eat them just by themselves when I go to Japan. They debuted at Kyubey in Ginza about 10 or 15 years ago, and one tomato was like $50 at the time. Now they're pretty common, but still expensive.

294258_10150319927050912_500780911_8015919_1353604860_n.jpg

Hardy's Hogtown Brasserie

Slider/Tasting Menu.

One is beef brisket, one is pulled pork, one is pulled chicken and all are topped with their coleslaw and all are fucking amazing. Sides were applewood smoked cheddar mac and cheese and jalapeno cornbread.

They were sold out of their ribs unfortunately.

thats shake shack right? which one did you go to? i feel like the only one that gets it right is the one in madison sq park. the other ones seem to od on the salt

Battery... they shook the salt shaker 2 times too many

I went to that one this summer too, around lunchtime - bad choice, all the bankers were getting takeout and I swear it took like 30 minutes to get our burgers. Took a cab to LGA right after that and I could've had a 5 Guys right after, but had way too many burgs at that point.