what are you eating today?

soepom

Partly cuz I gained a ton of weight over summer, but mainly to support my mom who, tho not overweight, has had some blood pressure/cholesterol problems as of late.

Her change is a lot more drastic tho: no more oils in excess of any kind (to saute, nuts, avocados, etc.).

I definitely miss the meat tho, trust.

My dad is on the same thing, has high cholesterol, is vegan - I don't think it really helps when you go zero tolerance and vegan, the whole lot. Results for my dad haven't been that great and it's been like 5-10 years. Too extreme, IMO. By going vegan you shift the pendulum to the opposite, in order to get to the middle - but the reality is that your body craves what it used to be spoiled by, and you break down and replace it with something else. My dad eats snacks all the time, probably eats like 8 small things a day, that plus all the fake vegan stuff that is supposed to be simulating real food. It's not a very healthy lifestyle IMO.

That, and cholesterol is somewhat self-correcting, so by giving your body none, that seems a little dangerous as well. Gotta respect the self-correcting nature of the body.

My dad is on the same thing, has high cholesterol, is vegan - I don't think it really helps when you go zero tolerance and vegan, the whole lot. Results for my dad haven't been that great and it's been like 5-10 years. Too extreme, IMO. By going vegan you shift the pendulum to the opposite, in order to get to the middle - but the reality is that your body craves what it used to be spoiled by, and you break down and replace it with something else. My dad eats snacks all the time, probably eats like 8 small things a day, that plus all the fake vegan stuff that is supposed to be simulating real food. It's not a very healthy lifestyle IMO.

That, and cholesterol is somewhat self-correcting, so by giving your body none, that seems a little dangerous as well. Gotta respect the self-correcting nature of the body.

Thanks for the input. She's been doing well so far, levels have dropped a considerable amount in a couple weeks. There's a book that she's been following that preaches something similar to the diet Clinton's been on. The biggest part, I think, is introducing natural foods into the diet. We get so busy, we eat from a box or wrapper most of the time. I'm sure there's somewhere down the road where we'll eventually reintroduce lean meats and fish.

expanding on that, you could've made this, it's a nice tasting soup and this recipe never fails. Don't leave out any of the ingredients, but you can adjust the amounts to taste, I go hard on chili powder, the lime and cilantro and it's the shit. Add green onion ribbons on top too. It can be made in 20-30 minutes if you work quickly.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tortilla-soup-recipe2/index.html

Juicing limes at room temperature gives more liquid than at fridge temperatures?

I think it's about nuking them really quickly to blast the membranes. Room temperature does make the little membrane walls more prone to breaking, though, thus giving more juice. Microwave for 15 seconds, then roll on your cutting board, pressing down with your palm a few times - it really does work, if you juice on a press there'll be nothing left in the peel if you do it right. Just don't microwave too long or you cook the juice.

0618011537.jpg

Umami Burger from Bop'n'Grill

all kinds of deliciousness.

@Solix: Have you heard of the film Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead?

Plot Summary Someone suggested it to me but I haven't been able to watch it yet, but it seems incredibly interesting how a pure liquid diet of veggies/fruits helped when medicine and doctors could not. Just an interesting read/film if you have the time/care

pt 2: Are white people in africa called africans?

in her defense, there is a thing called white chili that's chicken stock based

it shouldn't be called a chili since it's not a hearty tomato based stew nor does it have the richness and texture of a tomato chili, but what can you do

'white chili' is at best a variation on an original theme and is named as such, but in terms of cooking it's really a soup anyway, as the fat content of white poultry can't approach the thickening action that fatty red meat can, and does Even New Mexico green chili made of pork and green chiles thickens to an extent, it does not have a visible broth component.

The only reason I can come up with for a white person named vanilla wafer on the internet to call a watery chicken soup with beans a 'chili' is that they were home schooled and never taken to anything remotely American in their lifetimes.

Sure tasted like chili, and the recipe called it chili! What makes something like that soup?
The only reason I can come up with for a white person named vanilla wafer on the internet to call a watery chicken soup with beans a 'chili' is that they were home schooled and never taken to anything remotely American in their lifetimes.

I know people that won't even call it chili if it has beans.

But I'm from Texas, so that's different and people in Texas are crazy about chili (among other things).

I definitely prefer beans in my chili, though –*unless it is being used on something else like chili dogs, frito pie, etc...

In any case, dish in question is definitely not chili.