The Flight Jacket Thread

still

might be the angle,but isnt it a bit too long? otherwise i agree with HH,not bad price either.

Love the L-2 and early MA-1. All originals and repros in my size are 24" approx in back length, so an extra couple of inches is very welcome.

Pissed off I missed out on the BR william gibson slender/long in a 44 from eastman.

But i dont know why I'm bitchin about it, as my GW M-422 is just awesome, and it's gets an outing two or three times a week.

isnt the time right for a fitpic then?

You are right, It is.

My ex-wife has custody of the camera, unfortunately, so until i can get it together to buy another one (opportunities have presented themselves, but i keep buying vintage repros!) my posts will remain in text format only.

I'm contemplating between a B-9 or N-1, does anyone know of a manufacturer other than BR that also produces a good replica of the B-9?

How does the YMCL N-1 compare to the BR one?

I'm also thinking of taking the vintage route, but it seems hard to find one in good condition.

hmm i think an n-1 would look better cause i fitted one in japan and i love it but i think its just too much for me.( too thick for hk/mla weather )

whats YMCL?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/yamamotojp/10015433/

I'm leaning more towards a B-9 at the moment tbh!

The BR is outta my price range though.

The Pikebrothers will release a N-1 this season.ive handled a testsample a few weeks back and it looked like decent quality.old style talonzipper,proper junglecloth fabric,woven lining and grey mouton.dont know about the price but i reckon a lot less than Buzz/McCoys.

i will get one for myself this fall.

The Pikebrothers will release a N-1 this season.ive handled a testsample a few weeks back and it looked like decent quality.old style talonzipper,proper junglecloth fabric,woven lining and grey mouton.dont know about the price but i reckon a lot less than Buzz/McCoys.

i will get one for myself this fall.

Thanks for the tip, i'll keep an eye out on it.

How about the B-9, is BR really the only one making a repro of this great looking parka?

Spiewak made an N-1 that's pretty cheap, although the arms are somewhat short on mine. They've stopped making them, but they can still be found in certain sizes if you search a little. They did a tan and a blue one. I think the guy I bought mine from on ebay must've smoked about 80 a day in his.

Thanks for the tip, i'll keep an eye out on it.

How about the B-9, is BR really the only one making a repro of this great looking parka?

Eddie Bauer makes a B-9. Never handled it, though, so not sure of the quality... Well under $300

Eddie Bauer makes a B-9. Never handled it, though, so not sure of the quality... Well under $300

The original WWII B-9's manufactured by Eddie Bauer are known to be the best quality B-9's of that time, it's certainly worth looking into.

Thanks for the tip, i'll try and find out some more about it, i haven't spotted new Bauer ones anywhere though.

The Spiewak N-1's don't really appeal to me.

I just sold an original ww2 Eddie bauer b-9, fit was perfect, however, it's far too bulky (think marshmallow) and heavy to be practical outside of the cargo hold of a bomber 8 miles high.

Damn, it wasn't a 38 by any chance? please tell me it wasn't!

Planning on taking it up in my Consolidated when i get one ;)

I actually have the BR N-1 (pics somewhere in this thread, actually). I'd like to know what you mean by superior in the RMcCoy. Are they thicker? Or somehow more insulating?

the lining in the BR is alpaca wool, real mccoy ones are sheep? wool; definitely warmer and more soft

I find (size to size) that Alpaca is warmer than sheep wool.

Sheep wool is softer when it's an actual hide (shearling) and looks prettier but Alpaca for warmth (imo) is better...

Just came in the big brown truck today.

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

I really like it. It was a custom jacket. PERFECT fit. The zipper is of course not authentic to an original nor are the buckles but those things were not all that important to me this time on this jacket. I really like the pattern. The sheepskin is as good as any I've seen on any repro and I've owned a few. I love it.

M-445 from US Authentic.

Just came in the big brown truck today.

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

I really like it. It was a custom jacket. PERFECT fit. The zipper is of course not authentic to an original nor are the buckles but those things were not all that important to me this time on this jacket. I really like the pattern. The sheepskin is as good as any I've seen on any repro and I've owned a few. I love it.

M-445 from US Authentic.

Thats a fine 445 Af. Leather looks indestructable, and i love the old font USN (similar to the 55J14 G-1's) under the collar.

Plus repped you bro.

Thanks a bunch Doc. I sold this killer RMNZ duo tone B-3 a couple years back with the intent of buying another sheepskin right away. THis winter has been pretty cold. The Monarch 422 is warm but I really needed some sheepskin. It took a whole 2 weeks to get this CUSTOM jacket. I couldn't be happier with the build, sheepskin and fit. Its always nice to get something that exceeds expectations.

Thanks a bunch Doc. I sold this killer RMNZ duo tone B-3 a couple years back with the intent of buying another sheepskin right away. THis winter has been pretty cold. The Monarch 422 is warm but I really needed some sheepskin. It took a whole 2 weeks to get this CUSTOM jacket. I couldn't be happier with the build, sheepskin and fit. Its always nice to get something that exceeds expectations.

Whoa, that's cool. Where is that from? Custom made in 2 weeks?

US Authentic. Well under a grand. Talk to Mr Dover. Two weeks, custom jacket. They don't make an M 445 but they do make an ANJ4 (similar) so this was a custom ANJ4 and a custom fit also. I couldn't be happier. If you really want to go more authentic you can get an NOS WWII Talon from MASH in Japan and I also think they have original side strap buckles also and send them to Dover and he can install them but it wasn't all that important to me for this particular jacket.

US Authentic. Well under a grand. Talk to Mr Dover. Two weeks, custom jacket. They don't make an M 445 but they do make an ANJ4 (similar) so this was a custom ANJ4 and a custom fit also. I couldn't be happier. If you really want to go more authentic you can get an NOS WWII Talon from MASH in Japan and I also think they have original side strap buckles also and send them to Dover and he can install them but it wasn't all that important to me for this particular jacket.

Thought It looked more like an ANJ4, looks toasty regardless. My M-422 is great with a BR loopwheeled sweat underneath, and when it gets really cold, I have a crappy work's fleece which can be an intermediate layer/liner too (but then I can hardly move!)

That M-422 cost a bloody bomb, but was totally worth it (a prezzie to myself after 'she' departed. Has cheered me up no end!

:)