The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Just to add to the half-belt reference, this is one Aero made for me last year. Cordovan colour leather and plain cotton drill inside. This thing is heavy! It'll take years to wear-in. I've worn it for about 6 months so will have to update with some pics of how the leather has worn so far - lots of scuff marks.

aero1.jpg

Aero-3.jpg

Aero-2.jpg

Aero-4.jpg

Aero-6.jpg

Hi guys, sorry to hi-jack this thread but I hope you can help on this. I have an old horsehide workwear/flight style jacket that has seen much better days. In fact some patches are almost suede rather than leather.

i'm guessing it's from the early 50's. I've had it for probably about 18 years or so and it was pretty much in this condition when I got it, although i've had the cuffs replaced. Can you suggest a product I can use to condition/preserve it?

2yo985y.jpg

2utssow.jpg

2yxhfl5.jpg

Most jacket heads I know use pecards to remoisturize tired old leather. Multiple light layers, applied as the previous one has been soaked in, seems to be the trick. After you can't get more into the leather, usually after a day or week or so, you wipe off the excess. I think that's the process. Crownzip, any additional suggestions? I am not sure what it will do to a jacket that's become sueded with wear.

-Jake

Most jacket heads I know use pecards to remoisturize tired old leather. Multiple light layers, applied as the previous one has been soaked in, seems to be the trick. After you can't get more into the leather, usually after a day or week or so, you wipe off the excess. I think that's the process. Crownzip, any additional suggestions? I am not sure what it will do to a jacket that's become sueded with wear.

-Jake

I used Pecards Antique on my jacket it it really brought it back to life. the leather looks almost new from 20 feet.

I also used it on an old club chair that had been in the sun for years and it brought it right back....

the Pecards Antique is nice that it doesn't really change the color of your leather as other products will!

I don't know if you're late to the party or not, but yeah, their shit is dope. That B-2 is the dopest thing. I will own one in my life at some point. Oh yes, I will.

-Jake

Here's another jacket of mine, a H&L Block M-422a. It's in good condition, unfortunately, a little small for me; it's what I get for working out after I bought it, I guess. I know it's an H&L Block because it has the stereotypical shorter arms, even despite the absence of a label.

Front:

DSCN1522.jpg

Back:

DSCN1529.jpg

Lining:

DSCN1524.jpg

Leather Closeup:

DSCN1530.jpg

Knits:

DSCN1525.jpgDSCN1526.jpgDSCN1527.jpgDSCN1528.jpg

Enjoy the pictures, folks. It's a great old jacket.

-Jake

Partially relevant, as some of the jackets are flight jackets, but Lost Worlds are direct selling some overstock on eBay at the moment and looks like there might be a couple of bargains as far as bomb-proof horsehide jackets are concerned.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/grapemoby_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZQQ_sopZ1

awesome thread. i got an original horsehide bronco mfg. a-2 from the 30's or 40's yesterday. probably the best thing i ever spent money on. this one is for the long haul. can anyone hint me to where i can find some pecard antique leather dressing locally (ny / nj) ? i wanna clean it up tomorrow or soon at least. and i dont know which to get, regarding the different ounces they come in. thanks in advance. ill post pictures soon

So, uhh, I just found the sweetest thing ever.

Don't have the jacket at hand, but the tag says something like AIR FORCE TYPE, A2, FLIGHT JACKET. Anymore info? It's in really good condition.

Imagen001.jpg

Imagen002.jpg

The best thing? Cost me 30 bucks at a vintage store in CHILE. Haha, it's 30C right now and I'm backpacking around for another two months, what the hell...

Thick as hell. If I can't squeeze out more than lets say 400 bucks, I am keeping it (fits like a glove). I am almost hoping that it isn't very valuable because I LOVE IT.

Some more pictures:

Imagen001-1.jpg

Imagen002-1.jpg

Imagen003.jpg

Imagen004.jpg

Tag says:

"AIR FORCE TYPE

FLIGHT JACKET

A2"

The smaller tags down the lining says:

"LOT

size 42"

And a cleaning note telling me to clean it at "R Sherman leather cleaners, Bergen street"

And finally,

"This is a genuine leather garment".

Any ideas?

It's definitely a civilian jacket - probably 70's - and is real leather, probably steerhide. I think the fur collar is quite nice on A-2 style jackets. There are several deviations from a authentic A-2 - mutli-piece back. fur collar, lining etc.

But it fits great and looks like a "flight jacket" - and that's pretty cool. Besides it has hand warmer pockets, which a real A-2 wouldn't, which I think come in handy.

-Jake

I know that jacket as I've found a few myself. Classic 70's very thick leather jacket and fur collar.

you won't get 400 for it, but it's sure a keeper. Should take any punishment you can dish out. Let a good rain soak you both so it starts to fit your body...