australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

as for shops : Incu, Another Inch, Belinda menswear, Robby Ingham, Supply are all OK.

I'm a little out of touch with places to go at night but some clubs playing better music are - club77, candys apartment, arthouse (kink), chinese laundry, Moulin Rough, Le Panic, Ruby Rabbit (sometimes)... not fantastic places but not so bad - 1000x better then the places just mentioned.

Where are you coming from and what do you like doing??

For shops, the sufu guide is a little of date and still fairly good but if you're comming from the US don't hold your breath, we're always a season behind and range and quantities are limited. Basically take a stroll up oxford street through the surry hills and padington area and follow the sufu maps.

I'm in partial agreement with homme.homme about the clubs. Places like chinese laundry are sydney staples that have seen sydney through the early electronic era (located below a bog standard sydney pub/bar and meat market). Candy's caters to everything from local acts to standard DJ fare. Mr Goodbar, Club 77, Sublime, Home (sydney superclub thing) etc are your standard house music joints if thats your thing. We've lost a lot of live venues to pokies but best to see what's on once you get here. At some stage if you have time you should visit an RSL club, just to take a look, some cheap beer, and maybe watch a local act. and visit newtown for the typical coffee / uni / more relaxed atmosphere.

Check out the Max brenner chocolate bar if you are in paddington. The chocolate drinks aren't as good as they used to be but still worth trying. Long grain is a nice example in sydney of an aus-asian fusion restaurant. Try out some of the various cheap asian food eating halls in the chinatown area of the city while you're there for cheap soups etc. Or for very fresh asian style seafood see the Golden Century in the City (never been there but everyone raves on about it.) For pizza check out Young Alfred's in circular quay (used to own arthur's pizza in padington). For hotdogs Harry's cafe de Wheels (city and woolloomooloo).

For touristy stuff, Manly and the ferry ride are worth it on a nice day, you get to see the harbour. The rocks area and darlling harbour are worth seeing. Sometimes there are markets or food fairs at the rocks and manly. Arrange a bridge climb, visit the sydney tower, and while visiting the opera house take a stroll through the botanical gardens.

hey guys im new to SuFu, hello to everyone.

I'm going to Gold Coast for 4 or 5 days. Is there any good bars/clubs/shops/special places i should go? Thanks for help.

I don't know how many people from Sydney will be able to answer your question... I dont even know if there are any 'good' shops or clubs on the gold coast!!! Although i would like to know too as I am going there for the weekend soon...

Actually i think I may have asked this question here already :confused:

Oh, and welcome by the way. Where are you from???

I don't know how many people from Sydney will be able to answer your question... I dont even know if there are any 'good' shops or clubs on the gold coast!!! Although i would like to know too as I am going there for the weekend soon...

Actually i think I may have asked this question here already :confused:

Oh, and welcome by the way. Where are you from???

ya I'm one of those from Sydney...

Leaving in about 10 days so still plenty of time to find out the bars and clubs. I'm meeting up with a friend from Melbourne and he said the flight ticket is killin' him.. so I have to push the day for him to get cheaper tickets...

hey guys im new to SuFu, hello to everyone.

I'm going to Gold Coast for 4 or 5 days. Is there any good bars/clubs/shops/special places i should go? Thanks for help.

Of all the times I've been clubbing in the GC, it isn't good at all. Best to make friends with a local and ask them to show you around the places to be at.

hyo sydneyers,

just wonderin if someone would b able to giv a heads up on april77 jeans and cuts that a few of ur stores have (incu i think has), and maybe (depending on whats there) do a proxy?

specifically luking for joey overdrives/colourdrives , but open to suggestions.

im in melbourne btw

thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hyo sydneyers,

just wonderin if someone would b able to giv a heads up on april77 jeans and cuts that a few of ur stores have (incu i think has), and maybe (depending on whats there) do a proxy?

im in melbourne btw

last time i saw i think they were $200 at incu.. dont think i saw them at the city store when i went on wednesday.. perhaps at paddington store?

quoted for truth. just got my haircut. in a net cafe a few blocks down waiting for mates to come for dinner.

best haircut ever! not many people could understand paying 50AUD for a haircut. but hell, i can, i did and i'm glad.

thanks a bunch pogi.

What is the average price of a HC in Sydney?

Hanavie looks like a pretty good place.

Allow me to pose a possibly stupid question, is it common and/or comfortable for aussie guys to go to Japanese/asian hair places like hanavie? Ive always thought most asian guys have good looking hair and wanted to go to a stylist but have always been a bit worried there might be an awkward language barrier or apprehension about cutting different hair type?

I dont mean to offend anyone but I want to find a good place in Sydney to go to that I am comfortable with. I live Mon-Fri in Wollongong and there is pretty much nothing down here and I am sick of the old $15 "short back and sides" 'barber'...lol

Hanavie looks like a pretty good place.

Allow me to pose a possibly stupid question, is it common and/or comfortable for aussie guys to go to Japanese/asian hair places like hanavie? Ive always thought most asian guys have good looking hair and wanted to go to a stylist but have always been a bit worried there might be an awkward language barrier or apprehension about cutting different hair type?

I dont mean to offend anyone but I want to find a good place in Sydney to go to that I am comfortable with. I live Mon-Fri in Wollongong and there is pretty much nothing down here and I am sick of the old $15 "short back and sides" 'barber'...lol

There's quite a big difference between doing most asian hair and caucasian hair.

hanavie is a mad place to go to. i guess i should elaborate a little more on my experience there... i got there 15min early, and they provided me with japanese fashion and hairstyle magazines to go through. while i got through this, i didnt actually get served till 6.45 [my appointment was at 6 btw] but i'm patient and besides... it's saturday evening. fair enough that they'd be busy.

however, in the whole hour half or so that i was there, i was probably just about the only person who didnt/couldnt speak japanese. it wasnt a big deal though. they were still extremely polite [to the point where i would look away and turn back and my drink would be refilled, asif by magic, along with a new stack of magazines] and didnt treat me any different.

i'm not sure how they would treat a person of caucasian descent but the person who cut my hair [Ryo, the head stylist] was extremely professional about everything and there was certainly that air of him knowing exactly what he was doing. it'd probably take the average person longer to finish a beer than for him to give an EXCELLENT haircut.

caucasians have a rather wide variety of hair types, and i don't want to promise something that might not be able to be delivered on, but as with most things, it's a risk you take. if you have extraordinarily curly hair, then... wherever you cut it, it's going to be the same. however, regardless of whatever possible outcomes, i HIGHLY recommend hanavie, ryo.

however, having said that, i think, as a general rule, doing any type of hair, that you go in with an idea of what you envision the end result to be. i'm fortunate in that i went in and very literally said "you're the hairdresser, you know best, do whatever you please" and i came out not just satisfied [which i should add, is a rarity for me], but happy.

and just as insurance... well... hair grows back eventually and summer's coming up so you could always just shave it all off without looking like a tool :)

on a whole different note, sufu-ers who like rnb music should check out Goodbar on friday nights. having been lucky enough to stumble in on it this weekend, i found out the following

- percentage wise, a far more attractive and stylish crowd than most places i've been to in sydney. both male and female, whichever side of the fence you fall on.

- rather nice decor.

- great drinks, fast service

- excellent music. the rnb/hiphop played [at least initially while i was there] isnt the modern day "i fuck tonnes of bitches, get lots of money and i'll shoot you just to prove i'm a gangster" kind of hiphop. they play a bit more old school stuff which actually has some meaning and could be considered music.

p.s. it's on oxford st, just opposite the sportsgirl. if you do go, hope you have as great a night as i did there.

just import them like i did bro :D

I'm not sure how much INCU was selling them for, but I'm pretty sure

it would cost less to ship them to Oz from japan/US/EU.

hyo sydneyers,

im in melbourne btw

Lately incu has only had one size 32 and one size 34 A77. I asked the guy if they had any 30's but they dont. Apparently there is some kind of supplier issue and they may not have any for some time.

Anyway sev3n, where did you get yours from overseas?