LVC 1947 501xx VS LVC 1955 501xx

blm14

I know I know there's already a thread for this but I want to know which would win in a mano-e-mano fight. Seriously tho which one would YOU buy?

Just depends on what you're looking for. Authentic fit would go to the 55s. If you want a trimmer more "modern" cut then it would be the 47s. I had a pair of 47s that I sold. I like the 55s better. I've seen the 55 LVCs raw next to an original pair of raw NWT 55s and you won't find a more acurate repro. The only difference I could see was the belt loop on the originals was off center and its not on the LVCs

My 1955s served me very well for a year... although they are very anti-fit on the seat. So if you're looking for something fitted then the 47s are a better bet, for a more relaxed fit, 55. Oh, and if you have the patience (I managed to go for a year!) to not give them a proper hot wash, the fading is pretty awesome. I'll post pics once I've repaired mine, I keep on burning little holes in them

Airfrog

have you seen any orginal 47s?

I've seen several pairs from the late 40s and all were cut pretty similar. The remained very similar till the 60s. I wouldn't bet on them being 47s for sure but it would be a stretch to think Levis would make a drastic change for just one year. 47 Canes are much closer in cut to origianls than 47 LVCs. The 55s though are real close to original 55s

Does anybody owe both styles? it would be interesting to compare the fits. I have a pair of SC1947s one wash. On me it looks like a very modern fit. No Baggy ass.

Would like my nice pair of jeans to be a bit looser, but not relaxed.I am looking at a pair of Warehouse 1001xx, which is suppose to be based on 50s 501.

Just an observation. The Japanese manufacturers seem to replicate the 50s Levis more than the 47s. Look at Real McCoy 901, Samurai 510, WareHouse etc... Even Levis, just look at the range from Levis Japan division.

Please correct me if this is not true.

i say the sugarcane '47 kicks both their asses.

but if i have to choose between the two....

hmm. the LVC '47. for sentimental reasons.

The problem with the SC ones is that I purchased a pair in 36x34 and couldn't button the buttons whereas the legs were SO baggy that if I went up to a 38 they would look like MC hammer pants.

Petng- Warehouse seem to be like Levi's- they will shrink from the tag size. I wear a 36, and bought a 38 in a one wash. Check the Blue in Green site, they have measurements.

blm14- you may want to look into a 66 style cut if you want a closer fit.

• 1 month later...

Im brand new to this forum. To be honest; i'm not sure the correct format to post threads...but, I just bought a pair of 1947 LVC's and was told at my local levi's store that they were soon getting the 55's in. What are the main differences between the two? This is probably a newb question...my bad.

47s are slimer throughout as compared to the 55s.

I may be wrong here... but I thought that the S/S 07 55's were cut slimmer than the 47's? Usually they are a fuller cut, but I thought that the 55 505's were slimmer than the 47 501's.

I may be wrong here... but I thought that the S/S 07 55's were cut slimmer than the 47's? Usually they are a fuller cut, but I thought that the 55 505's were slimmer than the 47 501's.

The 505 is a 1967 edition. The 1955 501 is looser than the 1947.

• 2 months later...

Th4 47 and the 55 LVC are both great repros. The differences between them were probabyl not that huge, when the real thing was out. For the repros, the 47 is usually undersized and the 55 oversized which really accentuates the difference.

A 55 worn small looks pretty like a 47, but a bit boxier - leg maybe slightly wider, with more of an anti-fit seat and a higher rise. It you look in my denim book, there's a Mickey Spillane photo with a classic 50s outline. And I'd say this photo , which Hawkeye posted on the 'distressed denim' (old pix) thread, is pretty close to the look you get...

WG345.jpg

• 3 years later...