Levi's takes on Japanese Denim Resellers and Manufacturers

kiya

why would levis do a good jean at a lower price point? they can do it but they won't be making the profit that they make off of everything else. you gotta realize... big companies for the most part are worried about one thing... $$$$$

You're simplifying the issue. Big companies often will make a decision to forgo short term profit in favor of a more long term investment. Look at Nike SB. They made a big investment, started with small runs and limited distribution, and worked their way up to now.

CUSTOMS ARE ON TO ME!!!

i just got my sugarcane 1945 and it seems that customs are really checking packages.

or was i just one of the unlucky ones.

i was thinking of getting a pair of samurai S710XX19oz aswell.

luckily i didn't, but still thinking of getting a few pairs from relatives.

dscf0544v2gn0.jpg

dscf0547v2fm2.jpg

dscf0548v2yo0.jpg

blue in green says what theyre selling will all be plain, no leather patch design, no red tab, no arcuates, nothing. is this whats gonna happen for now on?

Announcement Friday, 26 January 2007

This is an announcement concerning all of our denim products.

All of our denim products imported from Japan or any other country will no

longer contain tabs sewn into pocket seams made of any type of material and

of any color including leather. They will also be void of any back pocket

stitching or leather patches.

We are no longer selling items in our stores with these designs.

Fortunately what will not change about these products is the most important

thing about them and the main reason we wear them and that's the DENIM!

When some denim companies speak of brand identity they rely on exterior

flaggings or markings or shapes. In the case of these companies which we

support their identity is their denim. They pour blood, sweat, and tears into

producing some of the most unique and revered denim on the planet. When

we speak of these brands is usually about the texture, weight, and color of

the denim. We're able to identify them just by sight and feel. So while these

brands will be void of familiar markings they will still retain the most important

aspect of their product and that's the denim.

Thank you for your support in this time of change and transition.

Regards,

Gordon Heffner

Yuji Fukushima,

Members

Blue In Green, LLC

CUSTOMS ARE ON TO ME!!!

i just got my sugarcane 1945 and it seems that customs are really checking packages.

or was i just one of the unlucky ones.

i was thinking of getting a pair of samurai S710XX19oz aswell.

luckily i didn't, but still thinking of getting a few pairs from relatives.

dscf0547v2fm2.jpg

That's the customs declaration made out and attached by the seller/shipper, not a note from the Customs Office about what they found in the package.

blue in green says what theyre selling will all be plain, no leather patch design, no red tab, no arcuates, nothing. is this whats gonna happen for now on?

companies are starting to do new back-pocket designs and i guess new leather tags aswell... kiya should get some of the new flat heads in around 15th of feb...

the NYT article mentions that levi's employs 40 "denim detectives" that search the world for copyright infringements. they are kinda like evil denim ninja spy operatives that covertly visit denim stores and report back to the mother brain.

who are these 40 agents? obviously some of them read what we post, and i would suspect some of them have secretly visited BiG and Self Edge, acting like normal customers but covertly performing reconnaissance missions for the big company.

how are these 40 agents selected? trained? do they like what they do? or do they have to resort to drugs and alcohol to live with themselves?

i totally want to be a denim detective

someone PM me and i'll send a resume

alot of the patches should be fine... i dont see why they are getting rid of them. my samurai doesnt have 2 anything pulling anything apart. canes either, and there was someone in the cane thread saying they got a pair of lee repros with the leather patch removed.

DDML: NO! Don't go to the dark side!!! It's not worth it!!!

m1lk: don't worry, these resetrictions will force the japanese companies to find new innovations. i expect very, very interesting things to come out of japan in the coming months. in fact, this whole levi's thing might be a blessing in disguise, at least for us consumers.

I have no patience to read this entire thread to see if this has been mentioned, but it has come to my attention that the Japanese denim companies, as well as SuFu's "favorite" denim stores are the least of Levi's concern. The biggest hit on Levi's list were major brands like Rock and Republic, Von Dutch, and Fossil. The idea that Levis has take on Japanese companies because of the market surge is ludicrous. As a matter of fact, the NYT article states that Levis has sued for trademark infringement more than any other company. Ever.

Anyway, I'm posting this to deflate the silliness of this thread. Granted, I'm bumping it, but the misinformation in here is entirely too hilarious to pass up.

was at BIG last evening.... and they were pulling the tabs off all their sammys & skull lines.... Tons of tabs in a little plastic box. & they were taking all the stitching off the back pockets too by hand..... ouch!

my god, it's like denim genocide! or at least mass circumcision. :(

it was really sad, & I had to laugh it off & turn away at the same time... I'm glad I picked up my skulls before the genocide. (ps Somet line of denim is instore)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for regulating poly. We gotta minja this thread up or something. I feel bad for bumping this thread... trying to do the PM route instead of egging on this shit. Let's not be careless folks, especially all you newcomers.

• 1 month later...