Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

how the fuck does Photobucket find and delete pics they think are questionable?
There was actually an article posted on gizmodo a few weeks back about how facebook hires people to sift through every image and delete those they deem questionable.....I'm guessing they have similar staff over at photobucket?

Reporting by other users, algorithms, and finally there's some human scanning. I think it was the NY Times that had an article about this stuff. A few of the major companies have contracts that only allow a person to do the job for a year and there's free psychological counseling if they want it since they see so much fucked up stuff.

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off

#roughsex #fact

Following Tarotron's lead, here's a hitchhiking documentary my friend did this last winter. From California to Florida, he relied on the unselfish kindness of others. This is by no means "Asian sundance festival" quality in terms of camera quality and editing, but the message and documentation is pretty solid.

Oh, and for an unscripted documentary, there is surprisingly some real character development that occurs.

let me know what ya think.

damn i just watched all of that on a whim

it was pretty cool but honestly the chick seems lame as fuck and not the type of chick i'd go on that kind of trip with

This seems to be the primary consensus amongst people that view the film. Please don't let her deter you from watching the rest of the film, the people they come across are truly inspirational and intriguing to say the least.

To me though, she redeems herself in my eyes towards the end of the film. Think back to how negative she was about the nature of human beings, as opposed to the little optimistic confessional she displays in the end.

The thing is, he met her randomly online on a hitchhiking forum (iirc), most likely because they wanted to travel the same route with a partner. That first scene is the first time they meet.

Yeah, surprisingly, a lot of people that don't know Jules, seem to think he comes off as naive and boring in this film.

It's surprising to me, because knowing him personally, I've found him to be extremely kind in his actions, and interesting in his thoughts, which could be seen as naive and boring to some.

Oh btw, you know the scene with that military girl? Apparently halfway through the night, she got real drunk and started getting paranoid of my friend. She started accusing him of taping their military conversation for terrorists or whatnot. She pulled a gun out on them and forced them to delete it, thus the "footage deleted" scene, and the apologetic guy friend.

He makes some judgment calls throughout the film that soured me on him, the last example was with gary, the line of conversation with the film taxi driver down to hrm asking if he smokes cigarettes all day as a judgment call.

Its subtle but these scenes are tense and he was putting people on the defensive. A lot of the "so you're a christian" questions grated on me, I think he just seemed like a poor conversationalist in general, ha.

A lot of taking a lot of questions and he gave nothing to them in return in terms of conversation. He was seemed apprehensive of becoming a character on camera too much, that's just me --- film itself was a good watch anyhow.

I'm not a christian myself, but the constant prodding of christianity didn't really sway my opinion one way or the other. I guess I was kind of blind to the judgement calls as well, may have to rewatch it for the 4th time =P

Yeah, for the most part I'd have to attribute the conversation, or lack of, to the fact that when he's filming, he's usually the type to stay quiet and let those on camera contribute more. I'm willing to bet if he had it his way, he wouldn't speak at all, and it would just be the characters on camera doing all the work, spilling out their ideas ala Waking Life.

in any case, whether you guys (the two of you) liked the film or not, I appreciate the fact you guys took the time to watch it and contribute some intelligent and real thoughts.