what are you watching today?

red

can someone recommend me a scary ass movie

im usually COME AT ME BRO towards scary movies, so im looking for something really scary

not a big scary movie kinda guy, but do yourself a favor and go see the exorcist on the big screen!

can someone recommend me a scary ass movie

im usually COME AT ME BRO towards scary movies, so im looking for something really scary

I feel the same way about horror. I've never watched anything that I found truly, persistently frightening. Most of the "scariest film ever" suggestions that I have seen are of the cheap-shock variety. I'd like to hear suggestions from people in this thread about the scariest movie ever.

edit: tentative suggestions (creepy films I've seen recently that were at least memorable);

The Brood

Event Horizon

The Children

Amityville Horror

Alien

Haute Tension

Anatomie

Halloween (music set the standard for horror film scores)

The Descent

I feel the same way about horror. I've never watched anything that I found truly, persistently frightening. Most of the "scariest film ever" suggestions that I have seen are of the cheap-shock variety. I'd like to hear suggestions from people in this thread about the scariest movie ever.

edit: tentative suggestions (creepy films I've seen recently that were at least memorable);

The Brood

Event Horizon

The Children

Amityville Horror

Alien

Haute Tension

Anatomie

Halloween (music set the standard for horror film scores)

The Descent

yo ive seen most of these except event horizon and anatomie. the descent wasnt bad actually. saw it in theaters when it came out; and i remember enjoying it.

i just wanna get scurred right now

I'm just going to post the ones that I've watched that are good. I've seen a lot recently, but some of them just didn't do it for me (especially Gentlemen Prefer Blonds and Batman, the Burton one (I know, sue me)).

First up, another Minnelli. I know I've mentioned his musicals before (and his films in general), but I think it's really rare to see such a belief in film expressed using film.

The Band Wagon, 1953:

Poster+-+Band+Wagon%252C+The_01.jpg

In a totally different vein, I think this film also just uses film perfectly. Seriously, everything about these characters is told through visuals.

Face/Off, 1997:

Face-Off_poster.jpg

Another Cage film. Can't stop, won't stop. Crazy how much the Coen Brothers can adapt their style to the story.

Raising Arizona, 1987:

194405.1020.A.jpg

Next three are all random choices.

This one might be one of the better films that I'll see this year. Really enjoyed it and the first fade is incredible.

Meek's Cutoff, 2010:

meeksweb.jpg

Under-seen and under-rated. One of the best uses of framing ever.

Bad Day at Black Rock, 1955:

250284.1020.A.jpg

Don't hate but I think this film might come around in reception in a couple of years.

Napoleon Dynamite, 2004:

napoleondynamite.jpg

Final four for you. First three are all musicals.

Cukor is a director no one really talks much about anymore and that's a shame. This film and Heller in Pink Tights are pretty amazing. Also, his use of a wide angle lens clearly influenced Wes Anderson.

Les Girls, 1957:

MPW-36759

Can't believe this was the first Hepburn film I saw. She's so hot. The first musical number in this one is out of this world.

Funny Face, 1957:

funny-face-movie-poster-1020143932.jpg

This one is more of a Blake Edwards film than a musical really but it's shot really well.

Darling Lili, 1970:

A70-142

Lastly, getting ready for Tree of Life so I started to rewatch his films again.

Badlands, 1973:

MPW-30111

What's your source weinfeld, do you download or what?

It's a mix, really. Most of what I watch on my own is on DVD or Laser (I have way too many films that I haven't even seen in my collection). I was pretty lucky the past four years though as my school had a 35 print of something every Wednesday through Saturday. However, certain things are just too hard to see so for those I download.

For instance, today was a mixed double feature day.

First was a film from a director that I've been meaning to see for ages. Truthfully, I was expecting a little more though the use of color and the choreography was excellent. I own this DVD but had never seen it before.

Exiled, 2006:

exiled-poster1.jpeg

Second film I saw was a print at the Film Forum. Right now Romania is probably my favorite film country. Police, Adjective is in my top 10 right now and 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is just incredible. So, needless to say, I was super excited to see this film. Unlike Exiled, this lived up to my expectations and then past them. If you have a chance to see it, definitely worth it (though it is a challenge).

Tuesday, After Christmas, 2010:

tuesday-after-christmas-movie-poster-2010-1020559513.jpg