what are you watching today?

red

Did something pretty fun yesterday. Watched two films by the same director, one silent and then the other a musical version of the same story.

First up, the silent. I haven't seen a silent in ages and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. Lubitsch is really a master and he changed Hollywood forever.

The Marriage Circle, 1924:

600full-the-marriage-circle-poster.jpg

My friend and I just wanted to watch something non-musical, so we opted for this film. Awesome choice: definitely one of the better films of the 70s. The stock and the lens choice are spot on -- it really creates a daylight noir look. Also, late Mitchum. You can never go wrong with him.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle, 1973:

the-friends-of-eddie-coyle-cover-3.jpeg

Airplane movie #1: meh.

harrypotterandthedeathlgr.jpg

Airplane movie #2: pretty enjoyable (if you're into the whole live-action-from-anime thing).

gantzposter.jpg

Airplane movie #3: don't know why i even watched this one. passed the time nicely and wasn't too hard to sit through.

seasonofthewitchmoviepo.jpg

Non-airplane movie #1: fucking awesome! better than the first one?

tropadeelite2poster.jpg

what did you think?

very unlike a "typical" hollywood heist movie

very factual re-enactment of events, zero "character development" and hollywood story-telling. very brief movie (less than 90 minutes), honestly not too much action compared to such other movies, yet it was still engaging throughout

i'm going to watch heat right now to compare

heatposter.jpg

The Larry Sanders Show - just finished all 6 seasons - drop everything and watch right now, its amazing. It's basically the godfather of good tv as we know it today.