Digital SLRs?

nairb49

(Ahah, amazing indeed ! Internet is so small actually)

I found the Tamron for around 250€ on some forums, but the offers are really random... I think you should definitely try prime lenses, they give you a better aperture (and sharpness) and let you focus on the framing rather than playing with the zoom.

I have the Pentax K10D and all three of the FA Limited lenses: 31mm f1.8, 43mm f1.9 and 77mm f1.8. I'm quite happy with this setup and the results I get are excellent. My favorite is probably the 77mm. I chose the FA Limiteds over the DA Limited pancakes (21mm, 40mm and 70mm) because they're faster (f1.8 vs. f2.8) and the construction of the FA Limiteds are amazing. I don't think you can go wrong with either though. It's just a matter of preference. Although if Pentax ever goes full frame, the DA pancakes won't be compatible. Here's an article about the FA Limiteds being one of the best primes ever tested:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml

I've entertained the thought of switching to Canon and trying the full frame 5D with those L primes, but I think I'm gonna stick it out with Pentax especially since I have a couple grand invested in these primes already. I'm just gonna upgrade to the K20D because of the better performance at higher ISO. The new sensor is supposed to be pretty good.

i think pentax is one of those brands that doesnt get the resepct that it deserves. ive read several articles about how great they are but it seems like people cant get out of nikon and canon.

i guess the thing that kept me from even considering pentax, olympus, sony, etc is the fact that despite each brand having a good assortment of lenss and accessories, its hard to find alot of reviews about the products as well as find any good deals on it. nor is it any easier to find used items. but i mean, if you've been using it and happy wiht it, stick with it.

My dream setup would probably be a 5D with a 24/1.4L, but I don't have that type of money. I've been thinking of just getting a GR Digital II or Sigma DP1, because all I really ever shoot is approximately that focal length, and a smaller camera would be a huge convenience.

I'm also quite sure I'm going to buy an analog rangefinder. I've been wanting to shoot film again, and they seem like the best way to go. I've been looking at the QL-17, but a well-kept one sells for about 80 Euros + shipping on ebay. Are there any similar rangefinders that don't have such an inflated price?

I don't want to clutter the Photography Thread about a noob question, but... I wanted to know what were Cokin P Holder used for ? And the neutral gray ND4 one ? thanks in advance, i really should read about filters (but since i plan on replacing my current lens, i didn't buy any yet).

I don't want to clutter the Photography Thread about a noob question, but... I wanted to know what were Cokin P Holder used for ? And the neutral gray ND4 one ? thanks in advance, i really should read about filters (but since i plan on replacing my current lens, i didn't buy any yet).

Cokin P Holders are just a small little device that holds filters. Cokin ND4 is a gradual neutral grey medium filter (fits into Cokin P Holder), in other words, for example, when used, gives your sky/clouds more contrast and doenst overexpose the sky due to the sunlight, while keeping the bottom half ot the photo normal

Thanks ! Few more stupid question and then I'll get myself some... The Holder, is it really necessary, I mean, compared to attaching the filter directly to the lens ? The ND4 filter, does it reduce the amount of light coming in ?

Thanks ! Few more stupid question and then I'll get myself some... The Holder, is it really necessary, I mean, compared to attaching the filter directly to the lens ? The ND4 filter, does it reduce the amount of light coming in ?

so basically the ND4 looks like this:

ND4.jpg

800px-GND_demo.jpg

so the darker area reduces light from coming through so it slightly mutes down the brightness of the sun/sky. also used to kick up the contrast of clouds.

the holder is required if you wanna use the ND4 filter.

they sell GND filters that screw on directly onto your lens but the Cokin holder can reduce vignetting and some people say it reduces noise when stacking filters. but stacking my UV filter with my ND4 at 400 ISO kicked up noise and shitted up overall quality by alot

one thing though...im not exactly 100% happy with my Cokin ND4...feels incredibly cheap and plasticky and i havent tested it but i suspect some bad lens flare from the Cokin ND4...

Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for the full explanation. I'll see if I can get this, or something similar for shooting in strong daylight. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks ;) !

the price of D80 has already gone down plenty in anticipation of the D90. Its not rare that you'll find D80 bodies for under 700 now ( i bought my kit for 860, sold the lens for 250 ). but anyway, rumors say that D80 price might not go down much more...and D90 prices will be under D200 but above D80

I'm thinking of buying a DSLR.

I've narrowed it down to the D80 kit or 400D with a 50mm 1.4.

The concensus seems to be that the D80 is a better camera.

Is its kit lens decent?

i think thres two different kits with D80's right now. theres the 18-55 VR (?) and the 18-135. Both are decent at what they do but i would recommend swtiching them out.

I would get the 18-200 if I were on nikon, theres definitely compromise with such a wide range, but its pretty damn good for a 'do everything in one lens' lens.

Then I'd start getting some primes, which is exactly what my family is using. Very old D70 with 18-200, 105micro

could you see a reason for hanging on to one over the other?

i say stick with the 18-135. only benefit of having 18-55 VR is the VR wihch is actually pretty useless at the zoom range that its at anyway. 18-135 is a generic all round decent lens. not exactly the sharpest and i wasnt exactly happy with it but for the additional price of the 18-135 D80 kit, its worth it

18-200 like mis suggested is probably one of the most popular ones in the NIkon family. alot of people like it cuz of the huge zoom range and its supposed to be a decent lens. only problem i hear about over and over is that the barrel creeps at certain angles

i personally wouldnt find a reason to have a zoom range of 18-200...quite massive really but if you want it, def worth the price.

i won some merit of work scholarships from my major. use that to get a 35mm 1.4L cant wait.... 7-10 days... its a good time to buy if you guys are looking for one 1080 shipped from adorama cameras, give you guys a heads up.

well if you already have some good glass then i would go for the 40d. 40d is much better then the 30d in many ways. but if you dont have any glass i would go for the 30d and get some really good glass