Digital SLRs?

nairb49

for around the same price and pretty much the same lens...i can't decide whether to go with the nikon d60 or the canon rebel xti 10.1mp...any suggestions?

thanks

I was in the same situation a few months ago and opted for the d60 mainly because of the size. The xti is smaller in size, so if you have big hands, it might not be comfortable. I suggest going to a local best buy/circuit city and handling it in person. As for performance, there isnt much of a difference between the two, pretty much perform the same. The D60 has active D-lighting feature which I hear is supposed to be good. The xti has a 9 or 12-point focusing system opposed to the 3-point system on the d60. The d60 also lacks a internal motor (you have to buy lenses with a motor built-in and older lenses wont auto-focus).

Just remember to invest in some quality glass.

for around the same price and pretty much the same lens...i can't decide whether to go with the nikon d60 or the canon rebel xti 10.1mp...any suggestions?

thanks

I was in the same situation a few months ago and opted for the d60 mainly because of the size. The xti is smaller in size, so if you have big hands, it might not be comfortable. I suggest going to a local best buy/circuit city and handling it in person. As for performance, there isnt much of a difference between the two, pretty much perform the same. The D60 has active D-lighting feature which I hear is supposed to be good. The xti has a 9 or 12-point focusing system opposed to the 3-point system on the d60. The d60 also lacks a internal motor (you have to buy lenses with a motor built-in and older lenses wont auto-focus).

Just remember to invest in some quality glass.

^ both xti and d60 are physically small.

go with the xti. im a nikon fan myself but i am usually opposed to the d60 in general. if you're gonna get the d60, either spend more and get a d80 or spend less and get a d40. you arent missing out on much by spending less for a d40.

I realize theres a lot of people asking for recommendations on lenses in general.

I'm gonna leave a piece of advice that I find very useful, and that is to NOT skimp on quality. I've gone through the kit lens, a tack telephoto, tamron 28-75, and now finally I'm gonna get my hands on the 17-55 f/2.8 ef-s mount.

Price is going to be an issue, but the fact that you got a DSLR over a point and shoot means you mean a little bit of business. And theres no such thing as "just using it for casual shooting" because after a few days with that camera, casual shooting becomes a serious hobby.

I'm not saying splurge, but don't skimp on quality. Good luck!

I realize theres a lot of people asking for recommendations on lenses in general.

I'm gonna leave a piece of advice that I find very useful, and that is to NOT skimp on quality. I've gone through the kit lens, a tack telephoto, tamron 28-75, and now finally I'm gonna get my hands on the 17-55 f/2.8 ef-s mount.

Price is going to be an issue, but the fact that you got a DSLR over a point and shoot means you mean a little bit of business. And theres no such thing as "just using it for casual shooting" because after a few days with that camera, casual shooting becomes a serious hobby.

I'm not saying splurge, but don't skimp on quality. Good luck!

agreed. theres alot of debate about skipping price issues and going for cheaper alternatives. from my experience, when it comes to lens's in general, better lens almost always comes at a higher price. theres really no way to go around it and you really wont find much of an alternative to high priced lens.

Guest jeffvyain

A lot of people on here wanting recommendations for a good camera...looks like most are looking to the newest nikon or canon. I haven't tried out many of these cameras, but after owning a pro body, when I pick these cameras up, they feel cheap...like....REALLY cheap. I own a Nikon D1H that I bought on eBay for $400--came with a decent flash and bracket that I ended up selling to go toward some decent glass. I would HIGHLY recommend this route unless you really plan to use all 6-10 of those megapixels. My 2.7 has done me just fine for small to medium sized prints and viewing on the computer. And for $100 or so more, you can get a D1X, which you can shoot up to 10MP in RAW.

I'm no serious photographer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'm sure there are some more serious folks out there that would back me up on this.

not a bad opinion. Also, there's pentax which has very decent body/lens, quite cheap, and that can compare to Canon/Nikon on many aspects. There's also Sony, even if I don't like buying sony except for tvs or console (i always feel like they went into the market of the product for money and imperialism, who needed sony dslr ? they do like everything, next fall they are going to release sony dishwasher and bike), and also Olympus, who has some great lenses.

as for the cheaper alternative, you're right fnd, but imo it's not worth it getting the pro lens when you just began photography. I learnt to see the difference by replacing my lens for a better, this is very pleasant and educational. Because if you get the best ones on the first place, you won't know what is a low end lens, and won't appreciate how amazing the pro ones are. That's why we randomly see stupid posters that find their Canon 16-35L not so sharp, because they never used the kit lens or mid end lenses.

As for the Canon/Nikon choice. I was in kinda the same situation like 6 month ago. What I did, and do not regreat at all, is first, spending some time studying the caracteristics of dslr to know what they give you, and then compare the different models to see what body fits my need best. Like if you want a better autofocus take this one, better noise handling take this one.

The second thing I did was to check at the lenses from the brand, like Nikkor vs Canon ones. See which lenses you'd love to have, or to be buying progressively, and then choose your body brand accordingly. I chose Canon for the famous L lens serie, but also for their great mid end lenses such as the 50/1.4 or the 35/2 (which i'm still looking for one, i may end up asking for someone to proxy me one from the us).

I hope i helped you make your choice. But if you go for a Nikon body, get either the D40 or add some bucks for the D80 (really worth it), like fnd said.

freecat you statemented that well.... i coudlnt say it better myself.. you really appreciate USM and the faster AF of higher end glass when you first have a 50 1.8... i would say same goes for body.... 350d to 40d.... its amazing...

not a bad opinion. Also, there's pentax which has very decent body/lens, quite cheap, and that can compare to Canon/Nikon on many aspects. There's also Sony, even if I don't like buying sony except for tvs or console (i always feel like they went into the market of the product for money and imperialism, who needed sony dslr ? they do like everything, next fall they are going to release sony dishwasher and bike), and also Olympus, who has some great lenses.

as for the cheaper alternative, you're right fnd, but imo it's not worth it getting the pro lens when you just began photography. I learnt to see the difference by replacing my lens for a better, this is very pleasant and educational. Because if you get the best ones on the first place, you won't know what is a low end lens, and won't appreciate how amazing the pro ones are. That's why we randomly see stupid posters that find their Canon 16-35L not so sharp, because they never used the kit lens or mid end lenses.

As for the Canon/Nikon choice. I was in kinda the same situation like 6 month ago. What I did, and do not regreat at all, is first, spending some time studying the caracteristics of dslr to know what they give you, and then compare the different models to see what body fits my need best. Like if you want a better autofocus take this one, better noise handling take this one.

The second thing I did was to check at the lenses from the brand, like Nikkor vs Canon ones. See which lenses you'd love to have, or to be buying progressively, and then choose your body brand accordingly. I chose Canon for the famous L lens serie, but also for their great mid end lenses such as the 50/1.4 or the 35/2 (which i'm still looking for one, i may end up asking for someone to proxy me one from the us).

I hope i helped you make your choice. But if you go for a Nikon body, get either the D40 or add some bucks for the D80 (really worth it), like fnd said.

agreed with everything you said. when i upgraded from my D50 to a D80, the option to get a nice Sony dSLR came up due to my friend working for Sony and a nice 40% discount. Even though I ended up going with a D80, i was very very very tempted for the Sony cuz they are actually quality cameras. only thing that kept me back was the lack of deals/used gear that go on with Sony/Minolta lens's.

with beginners, an expensive quality lens wont look anny different from a kit lens. i think you really start to grow an eye for photos that look good and once you're at that point, cheaper lens's leave you wanting for just a bit more. once you're at that point i think its appropriate to upgrade.

Rented a canon L 1.2 50mm a whlie ago to shoot a wedding. That kind of light performance is amazing to have, but focusing with it is nasty. I managed to avoid using a flash quite a bit, but the number of shots that turned out OOF was a bit dissapointing. Definitely worth renting though (the purchase cost is a bit ridiculous for a prime).

hey this is good convo, i agree with people, starting with cheap lenses is good idea... you learn the abilities and limitations of the kit lens so when you upgrade you can appreciate it's abilities

but fnd, what did you like about sony slr? i have the a200 at work and it doesn't shoot so good, also the body and lens feels ridiculously cheap

also panasonic is beefing up their slr game... we are getting the L1 in soon, i dunno if it'll be good but it looks interesting because it is rectangular body like old school style

hey this is good convo, i agree with people, starting with cheap lenses is good idea... you learn the abilities and limitations of the kit lens so when you upgrade you can appreciate it's abilities

but fnd, what did you like about sony slr? i have the a200 at work and it doesn't shoot so good, also the body and lens feels ridiculously cheap

also panasonic is beefing up their slr game... we are getting the L1 in soon, i dunno if it'll be good but it looks interesting because it is rectangular body like old school style

well it wasnt specifically something about the sony slr i liked, it was more or less the 40% off deal i wouldve gotten. the one i was looking at was the a700 and theyre actually built fairly nice.

no. both the d40x and d60 have very minimal 'upgrades' from the d40 that arent worth the price uplift. i think the only difference for d40 is the 10mp?

but anyway, d40's are roughly like $450 for a kit these days, d60's are like $600-$700 and d40x's are like $600...

i'd say save up a couple hundred more and just go for a d80 (you can find them with deals for like $800 now for a kit, i bought mine brand new kit for $850)

also, i really suggest looking at used gear like jeffvyain said. i've found that most people who are familiar with using a dSLR knwo what they are doing and chances of you getting a broken or bad condition camera is fairly slim. craigslist that shit

the thing is, when you have your first dslr, you don't want a body from like 4 or 5 years old. It's only when you are used to it, how it works and stuff that you find out you could have gone with an older one, because the new functionnalities and megapixels doesn't really matter, but the build quality and grip is also very important.

though i have a very good feeling and handling on my xti, because i have small hands with thick fingers. I'd love a 40D, but i know that i'll have to get used to it. anyway, i don't have the money to upgrade and i'd rather spend money on a good lens.

and i don't think the d80 would be too much for a first dslr, and d40/x is not enough. d60 is fine but the gap between this on and the d80 make the price difference really worth it, especially if you get a used one.

so im probably gonna pick up a used xti over the next week and a half, are there any accessories immediately worth getting while just getting the hang of things? ive already got a tripod and ive heard mention of u/v filters but is it even worth it to buy a nice filter for the kit lens?

NOOB REP

get spare batteries (at least one, but two or three is fine too), a cord or cordless remote, and a bag. you can also get a nikon dk21m eyelet, it's worth it: http://cgi.ebay.fr/Nikon-DK-21M-Magnifying-Eyepiece-pour-D200-D80-NEUF_W0QQitemZ160245569715QQihZ006QQcategoryZ79322QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i recommand you edigi_hk ebay seller. I bought lots of cheap accesories from him, and the quality is fine, and the price is low.

won't d80 be a little too much for a starter dslr?

the reason why i suggest a d80 is because a d40, once you're used to it, it'll leave you wanting a bit more so inevitably, you end up upgrading within a short period of time.

d60...not worth the price. i think a d80 is a GOOD beginner camera...feature wise it wont be overwhelming, still pretty standard quintessential dslr. d80 will last a beginner a good year or two before they wanna actually upgrade.

so im probably gonna pick up a used xti over the next week and a half, are there any accessories immediately worth getting while just getting the hang of things? ive already got a tripod and ive heard mention of u/v filters but is it even worth it to buy a nice filter for the kit lens?

NOOB REP

eh a UV filter on a kit lens is kinda pointless. most often Uv filters are used for glass protection more than anything and not many people actually care about kit lens.

spare battery is good but not crucial. get a decent bag/case. all i can think of...

at least one spare battery when your current one is empty and you don't want to wait for 2 hours for it to charge. but I agree that a bag/case is more important, even if you don't move with it, it is used for storage.

circuit city had a price mistake online for their D80 + 18-135 lens kit for $650.

anybody hop on this? my roomate took his receit to Best Buy and price matched it and got it for $650.

i think i cried a little when i read this.

Rented a canon L 1.2 50mm a whlie ago to shoot a wedding. That kind of light performance is amazing to have, but focusing with it is nasty. I managed to avoid using a flash quite a bit, but the number of shots that turned out OOF was a bit dissapointing. Definitely worth renting though (the purchase cost is a bit ridiculous for a prime).

The 85L is outstanding and Canon L glass is pricey but have you ever price Leica M glass or Zeiss Hasselblad glass now thats pricey and of course fast L primes are going to cost more than zooms. Most like the 85L have aspherical elements and the 200 2L has a fluorite element and both are very expensive to manufacture.

NOOB REP

Have you tried shooting with it a couple of times? I was initially going to get a 450D (I would really like live view and I really like Canon's 10-22 and better lenses overall), but after having borrowed a friend's xti and playing around with it at shops, I think I'll go with a Nikon d80. The 400D and 450D gives me cramps in my right hand cuz the grip's so small. It's so awkward to shoot with for a long time.

oh and does anybody use the accessory battery grip with their xti or xsi? Does it help?

circuit city had a price mistake online for their D80 + 18-135 lens kit for $650.

anybody hop on this? my roomate took his receit to Best Buy and price matched it and got it for $650.

goddangit why couldn't you have posted this earlier. awf;oijawf;oaiwefj.