Digital SLRs?

nairb49

I dont want to go through and re read all the posts but yeah theirs a big difference between 1.4 and 1.8. The 1.4g has better bokeh due to the shape of the aperture blades and is built better overall, and yes it has better optics. The 1.8 is a budget lens. Save your money and do it right the first time. Oh yeah and I can shoot regularly at 1.4 without or distortion or vignetting. My 1.4 also got me on flickr main explore page. The only thing I don't like about it is the slow Auto-focus but that is partly my cameras fault. Portraits are my fav style of photography and the 50mm 1.4g has served me well.

the 40D was fine, it just didn't have video and i've had mine for a bit over 2 years now, i want to upgrade.. for me, the price difference is lower, i guess that's why i'm having a little bit of a hard time

i'm going to have both these cameras in my hands tomorrow, should be able to finally reach a decision then lol

Im in the exact same situation as you but I have the d90 which is an equivalent camera. i plan on upgrading to the d400 when it comes out. I mean for most of us its just a hobby and you really dont need to spend money on a new camera........but if you want too you might as well get something a bit more advanced. The 60d is essentially the same camera as the 40d with a couple upgrades the 7d will make you feel how you felt when you first got your 40d.

And for me I rarely bring my dslr on me unless I know im going to take a picture of something. I use my film camera or my gf1 for street stuff. So the size of a DSLR is not a problem anymore. I believe the 7d is noticeably bigger and heavier so if thats a problem maybe you should keep what you have or get the 60d.

i highly recommend a Sony NEX5 - it has an APS-C sensor, is small enough to carry around with you, and can use many many lenses on it!

686544177C9043EE94D452D19D2BC92C.jpg

i've found it to be the perfect balance between DSLR (too big - I never carried it around) and P&S (much better image quality with the big sensor and various lenses).

ive been geezing the sony NEX range, and my ultimate question is, what does a standard slr have over it?

i should explain this is for someone who is not a pro photographer but wants to capture images(memoriess) better than a standard point and shoot.

ive been geezing the sony NEX range, and my ultimate question is, what does a standard slr have over it?

i should explain this is for someone who is not a pro photographer but wants to capture images(memoriess) better than a standard point and shoot.

i considered the sony nex5 when looking to replace my dslr.

i went for the GF-1 in the end, but i really wanted the automatic panorama mode that the nex5 has. it does a lot better job than anything i've managed to do on my own

I posted a few sample shots i took with the NEX on the photog thread. Also, check out flickr for lots of samples of what the little NEX can do...

Regarding lenses - yes, there are only 3 E-mount lenses available currently, but there are something like 10 more due out this year and next, including a tasty looking zeiss prime.

I actually don't use the kit lenses much - I bought a cheap adapter off of ebay and primarily use Leica M-Mount lenses. I think they're a great combo of compactness and IQ (much like the NEX itself).

as for the viewfinder - i don't miss that at all. I actually prefer shooting from the hip using the tilting screen. it can be a bit challenging in bright sunlight, but there's an option to increase screen brightness for sunny days, which actually helps out a lot.

a few images from my recent trip back home...

Hi_101231-644.jpg

Sony NEX-5 / CV Nokton 35/1.4

• 2 weeks later...

today i came across a bollywood production shooting on the waterfront here in wellington. along with the big cameras which i didn't get close enough to see what they were there were multiple canon 5d mark 2

out the car window shot using a quad and two dslr

bollywood5.jpg

additional angles for stunt capture

bollywood6.jpg

so, i'm kinda curious about carl zeiss lenses. i know next to nothing about them, except that they are supposed to be some of the best glass available. can you get them for any camera? i kinda just want some general background info on them if anyone has a minute to type that out. thanks in advance.

so, i'm kinda curious about carl zeiss lenses. i know next to nothing about them, except that they are supposed to be some of the best glass available. can you get them for any camera? i kinda just want some general background info on them if anyone has a minute to type that out. thanks in advance.

carl zeiss makes lenses that will fit on DSLR like canon, nikon, leica (rangefinder), pentax, samsung and sony. Nice piece of glass and very well made...made of medal i believe. From what I remember the only ones that are NOT manual focus are the ones that fit Sony DSLRs.

Per the website

The manually focusable Carl Zeiss SLR lenses are available with EF bayonet (ZE), F bayonet (ZF.2), K bayonet (ZK) and the M42 screw threads (ZS). The possibilities of using scene programs, different types of exposure metering and individualized functions can be varied depending on the camera model.

ZF.2 Lenses - Lenses for camera bodies that are not AI-compatible with F bayonet for cameras from Nikon.

ZF Lenses - SLR lenses with F bayonet mount for cameras from Nikon.

ZE Lenses - Lenses equipped with an EF bayonet for EOS cameras from Canon

ZK Lenses - Lenses with K bayonet for cameras from Pentax or Samsung

ZS Lenses - SLR lenses with M42 screw thread to use with adapters on different SLR camera models.

what prime lens to cop for cropped sensor? i feel like the 50mm is too zoomed. haven't heard anything particularly great about the 35mm f1.8, but its the only one in my price range. suggestions?

go for the 35mm 1.8 if your a nikon user. basically a 50mm on a FX. Very sharp at f/2.8 to 5.6

pair it with a 55-200 or any zoom lens and you should hv a good setup for day to day use.

yeah i was talkin about nikon, thanks. $200 seems justifiable, but im always on the fence about whether or not ill regret going halfway while wanting really nice glass

the benefit of 1:1 shooting is way better than the glass - the alternative is getting either the 35mm f/2 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35af.htm) or the 35mm 1.4 (which is 2,000)