Digital SLRs?

nairb49

noob question here. but I need to get a nice camera, one that can really shoot anything. something to last at least 3 years. looking to spend under $300. can anyone recommend anything for that price? I'm not really sure, what I should purchase or anything.

noob question here. but I need to get a nice camera, one that can really shoot anything. something to last at least 3 years. looking to spend under $300. can anyone recommend anything for that price? I'm not really sure, what I should purchase or anything.

are you looking for a dslr? you can find some older dslr's for that much but it'll be body only in most cases.

maybe you'll wanna consider getting a higher end point and shoot?

are you looking for a dslr? you can find some older dslr's for that much but it'll be body only in most cases.

maybe you'll wanna consider getting a higher end point and shoot?

Whatever would be best. Is a low end dslr better than a high end point and shoot? Basically, whatever the best camera I can buy for under $300 is fine with me. If that's a dslr cool. If that's a point and shoot cool.

Whatever would be best. Is a low end dslr better than a high end point and shoot? Basically, whatever the best camera I can buy for under $300 is fine with me. If that's a dslr cool. If that's a point and shoot cool.

I think I saw this at Costco for $220 iirc. It's a pretty damn good point and shoot, although if i were to get one I'd probably end up putting $400 into the Canon G10.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ28K-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001CCLBSU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236121656&sr=8-3

well if you're gonna be walking around with it a lot having a point and shoot is much more convienient

hmm. yeah that is a point. and i think for that reason, a point and shoot might be better.

I think I saw this at Costco for $220 iirc. It's a pretty damn good point and shoot, although if i were to get one I'd probably end up putting $400 into the Canon G10.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ28K-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001CCLBSU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236121656&sr=8-3

looks nice. i'll have to head out to costco soon and see what they have at my store.

also, just a general question. how much worse in quality of pictures is a really good point and shoot compared to a decent dslr?

honestly I'd say get a high end point and shoot. i don't know about canon or other vendors but i know the low end nikons (d40x,40,60) don't have internal af motors, thereby limiting your lens choices to more expensive and newer lenses. sometimes i prefer my point and shoot because it's so much easier to use and still takes pretty good pictures. as they say, it's who is behind the lens that matters most...

edit: the quality has a lot more to do with your lens choice than body imo... and the difference between a low end dslr and high end p&s both shooting jpeg is pretty negligible.

alright. i'll take a look at what cameras are at costco next time i'm there, and i'll just post links to what cameras they have there that look good for advice on them. and yeah a point and shoot seems moer suited to me than the dslr. and thanks for all the help guys

the best p&s (canon g10, panasonic lx3, ricoh grd, etc.) can have image quality as good as any dslr. just shoot at the lowest iso setting and in raw format. there will still be less dynamic range, and it is more important to get perfect exposure, but it's not too noticeable in most circumstances.

the best p&s (canon g10, panasonic lx3, ricoh grd, etc.) can have image quality as good as any dslr. just shoot at the lowest iso setting and in raw format. there will still be less dynamic range, and it is more important to get perfect exposure, but it's not too noticeable in most circumstances.

But if you're in any situation that is less than ideal your effed.

None of the compacts on the market aside from the Sigma DP2 can tolerate ISO at 400. Even the grain creeps up a lot at 400.

So im looking to get my first dslr and im debating between the Canon 40d and the xsi rebel( I really want a 50d but dont think i can fork that much out). Ive read up on both, and they both have there stronge and weak points, what do you guys think?

i have an xsi, its my first dslr.

i like it so far. the only complaint i have is about the iso range, only goes to 1600. :(

i like it so far. the only complaint i have is about the iso range, only goes to 1600. :(

if the xsi went higher than 1600 iso then it would be noisy as fuck lol. i shoot with a 20d and already can't stand 1600 iso. you're much better off getting lenses with larger apertures. i couldn't stand my kit lens and now i've got a 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/2.8L along with a 50mm f/1.8 and a tamron 17-50 f/2.8 that i'm probably gonna sell soon.

So im looking to get my first dslr and im debating between the Canon 40d and the xsi rebel( I really want a 50d but dont think i can fork that much out). Ive read up on both, and they both have there stronge and weak points, what do you guys think?

No offense to the rebel users but don't mess with the xsi lol. You're much better getting the 40d and saving the extra money you'd pay on the 50d for some better lenses.

you also can get a 30D. I own one and i really love it. I bought an used 40D and it had a problem i had to bring it back to the store so i'll wait before upgrading to 5D in a few years.

High ISO in most dSLRS = Extremely undesirable noise and nasty grains

If you like the grit and grains, i suggest you get a 35mm/medium format SLR camera and use good quality b&w film.

I have the Xsi and just upgraded to a 50d. Night and day difference in performance. High iso is really good, although H1 is pretty noisy and H2 (12500) is a joke. As for 40d vs Xsi, if you can afford the 40d, then get that for sure! MUCH better camera, better build etc. I was debating between 50d or a used 5d but could justify the extra few hundred dollars to make the switch to FF.

I'd check craigslist or something. Probably get one for about $400ish. Then the lenses go for $400ish for a decent 3rd party lens. I have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and it's really sharp. Used that until I upgraded to the 24-70mm f/2.8L.