• 5 hours
    • 7 hours
    • 8+ hours (hybernation)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't like when people look at it as negative

on the opposite side I don't like when people look at people who drink as negative...

be straight edge for yourself, it is a positive influence on your life....

and for the kids who are 15 claiming edge, 99% of them are breaking by the time they end college, and its just a trend to fit in for them... and you know what, that might be what is right for them at the time, if they don't want to get involved with drugs and alcohol when everyone else is doing it in high school, and by the end of college, they have a glass of wine with dinner, and thats about it, then so what, it was a postive influence on their life in some way....

You don't have to try every drug/get drunk to become edge, like that guy said above, just look at everyone else, and what they are doing... and you can figure out lots of things...

I really saw my Straight edge beliefs stay strong while away at college for 4 years... I saw how alcohol influenced everyone, how everyone's friday night activity was "get drunk"... how people glamoured and held the use of alcohol up so high, that was never for me. Through the hardcore scene, and straight edge, I think those are the only things that kept me from going insane in college... I could see two weeks of nothing going on in my dorm except people sitting there taking shots till they were all drunk. I'd be so dissapointed that that was all everyone did, and no one wanted to do something else that was fun, and of course no one ever had any money cause they spent it all on alcohol... Going to a hardcore show, seeing a straight edge band, singing along witih kids that had the same view as me on alcohol was a great way to get away from the typical college life, it kept me from going insane in school it really did, and from being depressed....

Easily one of the most positive things I had in my life, and still have.

excuse the inconsistent punctuation etc.

the whole straight edge thing seems retarded to me on various levels. first thing, going out of your way to label yourself/build some kind of subculture for something as simple as not drinking/doing drugs has never sat well with me. (how did straightedge music even come out of punk anyway. punk music is about smashing windows and beating up nerds. yes all of it)

secondly i know most people dont say they do this, and that they dont think any less of someone who drinks etc, this but theres always this air of like, elitist disdain, when theres only 1 or 2 sober people at a party.

I just really dont believe that someone who has never drank alcahol has done so out of any other reason than the fear of losing inhibitions or similar. Touting 'straightedge' seems like a lame ass way to disguise that. If youve been drunk before and wrecked a car, or got drunk in college and let it affect your relationships, or something, and told me THAT is why you dont drink anymore, i can respect that FAR more than "grrrr xxx straightedge dont poison your body" chung chung chung chung drop d guitar.

i suppose my point is that moderation is a lot more difficult than abstinance, also why i said outside observations are pointless is that i always hear, blah blah i dont want to drink because i see people acting retarded and i want to have control over my actions and all that, those people have zero clue how it is to be buzzed, drunk, high whatever, or how they will react personally, or anything. so its just hollow.

im sure half of this stuff has already been said in the last 7 pages but thats my opinion anyhow.

excuse the inconsistent punctuation etc.

the whole straight edge thing seems retarded to me on various levels. first thing, going out of your way to label yourself/build some kind of subculture for something as simple as not drinking/doing drugs has never sat well with me. (how did straightedge music even come out of punk anyway. punk music is about smashing windows and beating up nerds. yes all of it)

Please refer to Teen Idles/Minor Threat, and any documentary or book that deals with early Dischord. I would then check out SSD - Get It Away and DYS - Brotherhood. Upon this you can move your way onto All Ages or other books that are more geared towards the mid to later 80s. In summary, it was an opposite reaction of the "live fast, die young" mentality more than anything else.

secondly i know most people dont say they do this, and that they dont think any less of someone who drinks etc, this but theres always this air of like, elitist disdain, when theres only 1 or 2 sober people at a party.

The social aspects of this argument are too bountiful to enumerate in a SUFU post.

I just really dont believe that someone who has never drank alcahol has done so out of any other reason than the fear of losing inhibitions or similar. Touting 'straightedge' seems like a lame ass way to disguise that. If youve been drunk before and wrecked a car, or got drunk in college and let it affect your relationships, or something, and told me THAT is why you dont drink anymore, i can respect that FAR more than "grrrr xxx straightedge dont poison your body" chung chung chung chung drop d guitar.

I understand your rationale, but since it is part of the music movement, it makes sense to look at it as a subculture or even youth group in some ways. Comparisons can be made to early hip hop, where there was a clear cut message and vibe that followed when artists performed or spoke out. Oh and the chug bands and that whole straight edge vibe is pretty lame, I'm referring to a more straighter hc/punk influenced following that's based on what I mentioned earlier. Some of the heavier stuff works, but bands with nail polish, gay hair, and weird clothes aren't in my definition of straight edge. Id' say that's about as horrible as a teen bopper chick singing to NFG with x's on her hands...

i suppose my point is that moderation is a lot more difficult than abstinance, also why i said outside observations are pointless is that i always hear, blah blah i dont want to drink because i see people acting retarded and i want to have control over my actions and all that, those people have zero clue how it is to be buzzed, drunk, high whatever, or how they will react personally, or anything. so its just hollow.

One does not have to experience the state of being BUZZED/BLAZED/STONED/PLASTERED/SHITFACED in order to comprehend that they would not ever want to be in such a paltry state of mind. Some people, such as me would say it has to do with religious convictions, another may just be into the hardcore lifestyle and grind the edge. It ultimately depends on the person and their life's choices.

im sure half of this stuff has already been said in the last 7 pages but thats my opinion anyhow.

Prolly, but i aint reading that ish, ha.

peace bro

^ you are correct about "straight edge" originating with ian "fat-boy" mackaye/minor thread/teen idols and d.c., but he didn't even mean to fucking start such a pussy subculture. it was just a song and the x was just club policy.

the only straightedge band that mattered was probably crucial youth or maybe slapshot.

^ you are correct about "straight edge" originating with ian "fat-boy" mackaye/minor thread/teen idles and d.c., but he didn't even mean to fucking start such a pussy subculture. it was just a song and the x was just club policy.

the only straightedge band that mattered was probably crucial youth or maybe slapshot.

fixxed

i seem 2 remmeber u sayin u went 2 diskord haus 1ce...

One does not have to experience the state of being BUZZED/BLAZED/STONED/PLASTERED/SHITFACED in order to comprehend that they would not ever want to be in such a paltry state of mind.

I dunno man... dropping acid expands your mind. compared to drinking, it's a hell of a lot more fun and insightful, but there's a time and place for everything.

i just think you shouldn't knock it before you try it

• 3 years later...