what non-denim things do you collect?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my family has a pretty big collection and i have a few nice ones myself but i prefer theater posters.

i would love to see some! maybe if you have the time post them in superbluber or trash. thanks.

i should have been more specific. i collect poster of 60's movies by polish artists, so the movies aren't really from poland (just the art).

i would love to see some! maybe if you have the time post them in superbluber or trash. thanks.

i should have been more specific. i collect poster of 60's movies by polish artists, so the movies aren't really from poland (just the art).

yeah i figured that :) i'll try to take pics of the stuff we got in the states but most of it is in poland.

i'm pretty sure you would pass out if you would see my uncle's place, he has to have more than a thousand :D

minidiscs ( crap short lived con from sony! )

short lived? crap?

Considering they debuted in 1991 and today you can still buy the players in Japan I`d say they gave us about 10-15 years of high quality recordable media superior to tape. I`ve still got 1 or 2 hundred minidiscs and the 20th anniversary of walkman sony minidisc walkman and they still sound better than anything off an ipod.

btw prolly the only thing I collect is double taps..

short lived? crap?

Considering they debuted in 1991 and today you can still buy the players in Japan I`d say they gave us about 10-15 years of high quality recordable media superior to tape. I`ve still got 1 or 2 hundred minidiscs and the 20th anniversary of walkman sony minidisc walkman and they still sound better than anything off an ipod.

btw prolly the only thing I collect is double taps..

I just think they lived in the shadow of cd recorders and then mp3, also they were never too flexible, some sony discs (cds) were protected so you souldnt record onto minidisc unless you did manually through leads, in which case the quality drops and you dont get the track names.

Im also kinda bitter cause the minidisc editing software wouldnt work on macs, had to find this out the hard way. Plus both players I bought lasted 1.5 years each, both sony. Sony are concentrating on mp3 now and mds have dropped by the wayside. At least thats what it looks like in the UK.

Shame because I still like them, kinda cute, and I prefer to have tangible media to hold rather than aac or mp3, I used to paint minidiscs, did wonderful desings on em.

Mmh, used to collect soccer cards and still have a full set of the 97/98 Premier League season. Reckon this collection could collect some dollars for me. But not willing to sell it.

Well, besides cameras, books, denim and leather?

The wines (see below). Note the 1982 Mouton Rothschild on the bottom right. The Chateau Margaux is on the left. Some of these are for my grandchildren, presuming one day I have some …

[ATTACH]718[/ATTACH]

The real curious collection are the Burmese Opium Weights. I started finding them in small towns in the Shan States, and couldn’t stop. The newest ones date from 1885. (see below #2). The two in the photo are from the early 16th century. I have waaay too many.

[ATTACH]717[/ATTACH]

DVDs: I've got masses of DVDs all stored throughout the house

Books: not really a collection but I've got a lot of them

Keychains: I used to be obsessed with them when I was a child

Comics

Letters: I don't If I can call this a collection, but I keep alll the letters which I receive from my friends and host-family in Japan. I like to read em through every once and then, there's a lot of interesting stories in them.

I would also like to collect art, but I don't have enough funds to do that.

My prize possesion is a painting done by a Russian painter called Kopumob (or something). It's worth has been estimated at $10k or so. I inherited it.

I just think they lived in the shadow of cd recorders and then mp3, also they were never too flexible, some sony discs (cds) were protected so you souldnt record onto minidisc unless you did manually through leads, in which case the quality drops and you dont get the track names.

Im also kinda bitter cause the minidisc editing software wouldnt work on macs, had to find this out the hard way. Plus both players I bought lasted 1.5 years each, both sony. Sony are concentrating on mp3 now and mds have dropped by the wayside. At least thats what it looks like in the UK.

Shame because I still like them, kinda cute, and I prefer to have tangible media to hold rather than aac or mp3, I used to paint minidiscs, did wonderful desings on em.

You`re talking about NetMD or something. I`m talking about 1996, rocking CD to MD walkman recorder with optical fibre, you still had to enter track info manually. MD was never overshadowed by anything in Japan (2nd largest economy in the world) and Asia and still today in Japan I see 20 people on the train listening to newish MD walkmans .

The format was rad, sounded great, way better than CDs to carry around and you had those great backlit remote controls to clip onto your jacket..truly looked like future shit. Some ppl in Australia walking around at night with my backlight on, back then were like `what the fuck is that mate?` hahaha

Flighty women.

I acquired more than my fair share of ‘em, but collecting them proved very, very difficult.

LeicaLad, those opium weights are incredibly cool. I someday hope to collect stuff like this.

I have cooled off on collecting stuff for the time being as I have been and plan to live on two suitcases worth of stuff for awhile longer.

Til about the time i finished college, I was working on the basics; books, CDs, and had about a dozen guitars back the house. I still buy stuff like that but don't have no way of consolidating my collections here and back home with the 8,000 miles in between, so I am currently not buying stuff.

My parents are intense collectors, I stand to inherit and have to deal with sorting some of this stuff when they retire and pack up to move to Australia in a few years.

What I'm looking forward to getting from my father:

-thousands of vinyls

-vintage Case knife collection, my dad always sports a pocketknife, there must be about 300 or so

-political badge collection (I haven't really looked at it but I do remember seeing a U.S. Grant piece, stuff like that) plus random other related stuff (a squatting Churchill piggy bank, etc)

-books (my father was a librarian for awhile, so naturally the book collection is intense)

-lots of framed pre-1900 photos and prints, random stuff and family combined

-bar collection; carafes, decanters, tumblers, etc.

My mother is an intense collector of mid-20th century American glassware, she has multiple full sets of the more common stuff. She has a Fire-King set consisting of hundreds of pieces and I look forward to someday using this stuff in my own house. I see Japanese cats pop up on the internet coveting some $50 Fire-King mug and laugh because I have to deal with having a whole kitchen's worth of collectible glass, ceramic, pots, pans, gadgets, etc someday. I'm using a super-old hand me down Moulinex rotary Mouli Grater to grate my cheese with in my own apartment now, must be 50 years old.

My parents have been doing antique and auction shopping for years now, painful memory for me as I used to sit in the car for hours as a kid all fucked off because I wasn't going into another antique store with them. Took about 20 years for me to appreciate all of it finally, but now my houses in the future will be packed with all of this cool old shit that I'd never think of buying myself.

The one thing I plan on getting into in 2007 is collecting Japanese Ukiyo-e prints. They're really quite affordable and a pleasure to look at, someday I hope to have a lot in the house.

yeah the sony remote control with the turquoise backlight did look cool, my first was a beautiful piece of aluminium, ribbed front panel mmmm. They I got a much more organic sports splash proof one. Just to hold theyre such a nice size, i started painting designs corresponding to the album cover on them.

NetMD wasnt the best idea, i think its creation had something to do with copyright, but i thought it would be good to save me all the manual hassel, 4LPs of tracks is a lot of finger work!

I have about a 100, one long weekend I ought to put em all onto cd and then itunes but its a heck of a job.

Your right, the origional optical cable deal and early mds were sweet.