Skincare recommendations

2000dB

Would avoid anything with alcohol in it, but generally speaking toners are good if you have an uneven complexion or oily skin. 

yeah i just read on toner a bit finally and seem like i could use one, my t zone and forehead get pretty shiny/oily when its hot, it might balance that , i think ill give a try to a basic alcohol free like neutrogena alcohol free toner

I gave the Aesop exfoliator a try for the past few days (using two small samples the woman gave me) and was actually extremely happy with how it worked (skin fells very soft). I'm a bit shaky on spending 35 pounds on the full tube though.

Can anyone weigh in on whether or not it's actually worth it or if I am paying for packaging and there are better, cheaper exfoliators (maybe chemical) on the market? I'm trying to fade scaring and I'm looking for the best product(s) to do so. 

I've heard good things about Clinique and Paula's Choice and may just end up giving one of those a try.

i use lots of aesop products, but st ives apricot exfoliating scrub is significantly better and cheaper than aesop's offering.

• 2 weeks later...

i use lots of aesop products, but st ives apricot exfoliating scrub is significantly better and cheaper than aesop's offering.

Thats always been my go to stuff, especially considering whats easily available in Australia.

Edited by Lukenstein

• 2 weeks later...

guys any recommandation for an combination skin moisturizer ?

ive was using neutrogena oil free fps 15 one but im tired of it, it make my skin a bit on the greasy side

ive tried the combination skin one by neutrogena also but it broken me out, or i had allergic reaction to it.

^ malin & goetz vitamin e moisturizer is good, although i have noticed it causing more of a 'sheen' recently than it used to (could be either a change in my skin or a change in their formula).

you ever experience burning in your eyes after a long day of wearing this moisturizer? happens to me every time.

acne.org regimen does wonders if you use the 2.5% benzoyl at night only, it's pretty expensive if you live outside the US though, might be good to try it out for 1-2 months and see if it clears up your skin then move to a very gentle and cheaper moisturizer and cleanser but keep the peroxide in case of a breakout

Edited by cdglove

Can't really recommend any specific skincare products but I can suggest simple habits that may help clear your skin, which involves tweaking your lifestyle and diet as opposed to buying specific products if you live on the cheap like me:

• Limit your intake or cut out simple/processed sugars and processed carbohydrates altogether from your diet, and that means alcohol high on sugar content as well
  • Limit your intake of wheat products
  • Eat healthy fats, don't be afraid of including butter in your diet (grass-fed butter seems to be the healthier option)
  • I personally use Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion daily, works on my face as well as anywhere else that I have dry skin on, some other brand might be better for you idk
  • Make sure your daily nutrition is on point (eat lots of whole foods and you won't need to take supplements)
  • Vitamin D supplements help if you don't get enough sunlight
  • Sleep enough that you feel rested upon waking up (for me that's at least 6 1/2 hours)
  • Curb your stress levels with a few minutes of meditation or yoga or whatever

I also straight up stopped using face wash products when I wash my face twice a day, and for the most part my skin has cleared up. At my worst days it's the same as when I was using them, so I'm almost convinced that those products are wasted on me.

Also trying only cold water when I wash my hair, with shampoo use limited to once or twice a week when my hair is too stinky to be washed only with water. My dandruff seems to be clearing up as well.

acne.org regimen does wonders if you use the 2.5% benzoyl at night only, it's pretty expensive if you live outside the US though, might be good to try it out for 1-2 months and see if it clears up your skin then move to a very gentle and cheaper moisturizer and cleanser but keep the peroxide in case of a breakout

i, too, am on the acne.org regimen and can vouch for how well it works. i'm not a huge fan of the moisturizer though; i find it too heavy. what's your cheaper alternative, cdglove?

I haven't really thought that far ahead to be honest but I find the moisturizer fine for my skin, maybe a bit on the heavy side but when I run out I'll probably return to the moisturizer I was using before which was the simple - hydrating light moisturizer.

• 2 months later...

Update, 

bought cerave moisturizer and its pretty great, if you find acne.org or cetaphil to be too greasy, cerave is perfect and have lot of good ingredients that repair the skin which are normally found in overpriced $$ moisturizer cool brands.

also i dont really have breakout anymore since long but i had some weird flushing episode in december which are now gone after a month , thanks god,

but that left me with redness on one side of my face, mostly on the cheek and temples, any product you guys know that repair the skin and fade redness ? ive been reading about AHA and BHA exfoliant on paulaschoice. seem like a good option

Have you guys asked your dermatologists about a prescription? The retinoid creams seem to work great at clearing skin and are cheaper than the good otc stuff. 

*I haven't used it in years, but my experience with benzoyl peroxide was that it messed up my clothes... bleaching my collars pink. 

I've been using benzoyl peroxide for years and I find that it's the only thing that'll keep my skin clear. My regimen recommends that I use it twice a day (morning and night) but because I don't want to ruin my clothes, I strictly use it at night. 

skins been VERY clear for 6 months, following the daily regimen:

-malin goetz grapefruit face cleanser

-malin goetz vitamin e face moisturizer (or m+g spf moisturizer mixed in, but not too much because its oily)

In addition to those, I consume 2 large spoonfuls of vitamineral green every day (with water or tea), 1 spoonful of coconut oil, and drink at least 5 glasses of water (including tea w/ no sweeteners) 

As long as I make sure to wash my face daily, don't touch it (easy to do when stressed) and eat relatively healthy (low sugar, less carbs, less red meats) I get away with pretty darn clear skin

I also tend to get oily in my t-zone but don't break out. Pretty sure it's just genetic or hormonal. Face wipes tend to do the trick. 

Edited by Fycus

skins been VERY clear for 6 months, following the daily regimen:

-malin goetz grapefruit face cleanser

-malin goetz vitamin e face moisturizer (or m+g spf moisturizer mixed in, but not too much because its oily)

In addition to those, I consume 2 large spoonfuls of vitamineral green every day (with water or tea), 1 spoonful of coconut oil, and drink at least 5 glasses of water (including tea w/ no sweeteners) 

As long as I make sure to wash my face daily, don't touch it (easy to do when stressed) and eat relatively healthy (low sugar, less carbs, less red meats) I get away with pretty darn clear skin

I also tend to get oily in my t-zone but don't break out. Pretty sure it's just genetic or hormonal. Face wipes tend to do the trick. 

same here, oily t zone but no breakout, and if i eat good and drank water i stay clear,

except i just use cetaphil cleanser and cerave moisturizer,

still looking for some exfoliant or mask that will improve the redness i have on one side of face 

im not too big on fancy skincare product, like aesop and all those things, seem to be way overated, they got so much bad reviews on paulaschoice and other website

Edited by aymerikmd

looking for something to remove hyperpigmentation and red marks from previous acne? been using the acne.org aha and getting minimal results on evening my skin tone. maybe some kind of homemade chemical peel?

also looking for anything I can add to the acne.org regimen that would be stronger in treating and preventing blackheads? should I just go to an esthetician or someone who can use a blackhead removing tool?

edit: my skin type is combination with an oily T zone and normal cheeks but most of my breakouts are on my chin. probably from smoking.

Edited by cdglove

I would go to derm and get laser treatment or peel if pigmentation is pretty hardcore. Otherwise using some lotion with vitamin E and use a scrub once a week and chances are it'll fade over time. For blackheads the scrub should do the trick, also a mask will help. 

stop smoking & go with a healthy diet, especially vegetables. check if fruits are ok for you, because some peoples' skin get in trouble, because of the shitload of acidity in fruits.

+1 for aymerikmd. I don't know how it's handled in Canada or US, but in Germany the medical doctors don't require a approval for using lasers in skin treatment. means, a lot of shit is happen, because they don't know how to handle the intensity and burn deeper skin layers instead of doing a surface treatment. if you get some good recommendations for a doctor - go for it. if not, pass on it.