Skincare recommendations

2000dB

• 3 weeks later...

fml, dont have real bad skin, but like mild adolescence acne i guess im 19 soon and i hate it,  and my dermatho told me to get on accutane today..

fuckin dont know what to do, wait and it just go away or actually do the treatment.

Edited by aymerikmd

definetly don't. accutane from what i've heard sucks and for a doctor to prescribe it, for what you call mild acne, seems ridiculous.

i like this article, its simple to read, and might start to make you think differently about your heath and its connection to your skin.  but, just my opinion.. 

definetly don't. accutane from what i've heard sucks and for a doctor to prescribe it, for what you call mild acne, seems ridiculous.

i like this article, its simple to read, and might start to make you think differently about your heath and its connection to your skin.  but, just my opinion.. 

yeah man idk i heard so many NO and YES to accutane, basically, pretty controversial thing, i know a lot of people who did it and all have fuckin nice skin now, like people close of me.

and im not the kind of guy to be depressed or whatever

and about that article, i dont eat fat at all, i always just drank water since im like 7, and im not stressed lol, i check a lot what i eat, rarely eat junk food.

Edited by aymerikmd

accutane should definitely be considered for serious, cystic acne but for something 'mild' it is a ridiculous option and no doctor worth his salt would let you go on it. i had pretty shitty skin until i was about 21 - i'm 26 now and still get the occasional big pimple on my t-zone. if you're worried, see a dermatologist.

Edited by conqueror

accutane should definitely be considered for serious, cystic acne but for something 'mild' it is a ridiculous option and no doctor worth his salt would let you go on it. i had pretty shitty skin until i was about 21 - i'm 26 now and still get the occasional big pimple on my t-zone. if you're worried, see a dermatologist.

ive saw one, hes the one who said go with accutane since ive tried some 3 steps benzonyl products before and that my skin seem a too oily, and ive heard a lot of people recently using accutane for mild persistent acne, honestly i exercise, i run all week, i only drink water, i dont eat shit, i wash my face all time and i still got acne since im like 16. its nothing dramatic but its complex me as fuck.

now im turning 19 and all my fuckin friends have great skins lol

but yeah he told me to do accutane , start with a low dosage and everything.

I neve had illness,troubles,allergies,instability or whatever, never really have health problem in my whole entire life i guess thats why he said to go with it ?

Edited by aymerikmd

personally, i would never go on accutane unless i had severe cystic acne but everyone is different. do your research before going on it - it is a serious medication that is not to be taken lightly. if you decide to go ahead, i would recommend waiting until autumn or winter to do it as uv/sunlight is terrible for someone on accutane.

in the meantime, little things can help - change your pillowcase at least once a week, wash your face with cetaphil and look at getting a prescription for a topical cream such as eryacne or epiduo (which i use). proactiv, neutrogena, clearsil and all that shit is completely useless if you have anything more than hormonal teenage pimples.

do you have acne everywhere on your face, or just your t-zone? do you have it on your back and other parts of your body as well?

Edited by conqueror

Honestly, I don't know if accutane is as insane as everyone makes it out to be.  Yes, I don't think it should be prescribed to any random person with a little acne but if you've gone on doxycycline and the like for antibiotics, use benzoyl peroxide cream, and wash your face and don't touch it and you still have acne, I think it would be worth it.  I know first hand how shitty it is to have fucked up skin and from what I've seen in my friends who've done accutane their skin looks absolutely flawless after.

i'm not trying to 'scare' anyone off it, because it has been a miracle drug for lots of people. saying that, accutane is a very serious and widely-used medication. as such, lots of the potential symptoms are vastly exaggerated on the internet (suicidal ideation) whilst others i believe are often underexamined (crohn's disease is one). furthermore, although it is successful for most people there are many who have gone through 2-3 cycles and have not had any positive results whatsoever. as i said earlier, its up to you - just do your research.

Edited by conqueror

yeah i did my research, lot of negative review from people and lot of positive from others lol so kinda hard to know what to believe, i mean it all depend of the person, some have like 0 side effect except dry lips and other experience pain..

actually i have a bit on my back that never been off since im 16-17, and really minimal on my chest, 4-5 little spot thats it, antibiotic never changed anything to my back and chest , and i think he prescribed me accutane because of that really. i took antiobiotic for like 4-5 months without any changes to it and it was like a 3 step creams + pills, so pain in the ass to do it.

my face is kinda minimal, like not red or anything just random spot that go on and off, im really not near moderate either cystic,,but it is persistent i guess and thats why he also said to take accutane.

look honestly im scare as fuck to take that haha, i have to take like blood test every month and shit like that, sound a bit crazy in my opinion. and ive heard of like the initial breakout thing , i mean i dont think if i have that it would be crazy as peole say cause i dont have cystic so i guess will be just a bit more red.

but from what my girl said, 2 of his friend took it like 1-2 years ago, and they just had dry lips like most of people, and now they have great skin.

Edited by aymerikmd

Before you consider going on it, try a two week trial period of changing you diet/taking vitamins. Go off all processed sugar/white flour/dairy/unhealthy shit, take a B-50 Complex and Omega-3. Eat a ton of veggies, healthy fats, lean meats, fish, whatever. Using an online diet tracking site (like Cron-o-Meter) can help you identify what nutritional gaps you might have, and it's surprising how much that can effect your general health, and skin.

A lot of skin issues are caused by high blood sugar or inflammation and it's amazing how much tweaking your diet can change things (and relatively quickly).

On the other hand, I had a friend who had really severe acne as a teen, went on accutane for a year or so and now he has perfect skin. I agree, it's absolutely not a good option for mild problems though.

I always like this site for product reviews - http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/best-products/ -- you don't have to spend a lot of money of skin care as long as you do your research and get stuff that actually works.

YO I highly recommend against using Accutane. one of my good friends used it in high school and he now suffers from ulcerative colitis (crohn's disease), it really fucked him up

the guy who played James in Twin Peaks sued accutane for giving him crohn's disease and won

yo thanks for all the reply, i dont know why he said go to accutane then, after a few talks with friend of mine and friend of my parents, i figure out i will go see another dermathologist to have another point of view and try maybe another type of cream cause when i was using mine i stopped sometime i was in europe trip and shit like that didnt really have time to take it.

actually friend of my parent who used accutane said all worked perfect for them and no problems and now they have great skin but yeah i guess it depend on the person cant know without trying. my friends said im tripping and that accutane is cool to go but lol not from what ive read or saw.

so yeah ill stick with another type of cream and do the right time with it instand of fucking around  and see another dermathologist as soon as i can ,my skin isnt that bad really, some people say i dont even have acne lol maybe i just want too much perfect skin i dont know.

anyways thanks yall

Edited by aymerikmd

Fucking ingrown hairs. My otherwise clear face has a big dark blemish on the left cheek. Fml

Making appointment with doctor//derm

Anyone know if places like kaiser offer surgery/laser therapy to get rid of troubling hair follicle areas? Damnnnnnit

the slowest but surest way of fixing all ur facial acne problem in my experience is consistently only using products with organic ingredients and ensure that they aren't alcohol based. I've been using the philosophy line for about 2 years now. I get maybe 1 or 2 pimples a year literally. My face is practically flawless. But a word to add in, I don't drink alcohol which i believe has greatly helped my skin. I'm a smoker and I have combination skin.

Philosophy_HeroImage.jpg

Anyone have any opinions on kyoku's skincare stuff?

I have fairly oily skin, so I'm looking for something to reduce the oiliness. (Suggestions would be nice)

To be specific my face/forehead just continually gets oily throughout the day. I'm clear with no acne though, so that's a plus. But with the way my hair is, it gets oily later in the day too due to being right on top of my forehead.

Edited by 1 9 9 3

Anyone have any opinions on kyoku's skincare stuff?

I have fairly oily skin, so I'm looking for something to reduce the oiliness. (Suggestions would be nice)

To be specific my face/forehead just continually gets oily throughout the day. I'm clear with no acne though, so that's a plus. But with the way my hair is, it gets oily later in the day too due to being right on top of my forehead.

so i have crazy oily skin -

my cheeks and my nose especially.

but understanding why it produces oil i was able to make better decision before dropping money and nuking my face with hella products.

im sure most of you guys know this already, but our skin is just being responsive to what it needs and when it produces oil, it means our skin is too dry.

so all you need is finding a really, really, good moisturizer.it goes without saying already, but definitely drink plenty of water. I also think using toner helps a lot too!

my moisturizer is the alba aloe and green tea. SHit helped reduce oil by a lot! and my toner is thayers witch hazel (non-alcohol version). of course, YMMV though.

Edited by mr.invincible

but yo, do i need to moisturize my skin even if my skin is like oily ? cause i use clearasil pads to decrease the size and red of pimples, but thats dry my face, so if i moisturize my face after it kinda stop the clearasil action no ?

so complicated lol

i am not familiar with clearasil or clearasil pads, but following on with what mr. invincible said, its all about maintaining the correct balance in treating your skin - if your skin is too dry then yeah moisturizing is important.

secondly, generally stay away from products in the acne section of shoppers drug mart, or rexall, or wherever. the success of those aren't down to the effectiveness of said product, but the marketing behind them.. they're full of chemicals that are detrimental in the long run to your skin. sodium lauryl sulfate fucking sucks, definetly avoid it.

and i say generally, because paula's choice who timber mentions, has compiled a list of drug store products which are good for your skin, which is worth googling. 

for people with breakouts and non-severe acne, kiehl's acne blemish control is pretty good. it's done wonders for me. in my earlier twenties, my temples broke out madly and it was a nightmare. started using this daily and it healed my skin significantly. i only get the occasional pimple now, but i still use it on my forehead and temples. it's also great for spot treatments. it's not gonna zap the pimple dead within a day, but it helps to stop the growth and pain. whenever i see any tiny bumps on my skin now, i apply it directly on to prevent it from festering. works great. kiehl's blue herbal moisturizer is great too used with it.

i'd recommend getting some samples and try it out on your skin and see how you react to it before buying it. lasts a long time. on the pricier side, but well worth it.

5719345-1.jpg

aymerikmd - since you're 18 and presumably on a budget, i would try a combination of using cetaphil gentle facial cleanser + cetaphil moisturising lotion + a prescription for eryacne or epiduo topical cream. i live in australia and could get all 3 for less than $90, so you'd be able to get it alot cheaper than that in the states (i presume that's where you live?). if these don't help at all, then perhaps consider accutane and other treatments if you're unhappy.

my 'regime' is more expensive and i still get the occasional pimple every couple of days somewhere on my t-zone:

cetaphil gentle face cleanser (morning and night).

aesop mandarin facial hydrating cream (morning).

st. ives blemish apricot scrub (once a week).

aesop b&t toner (once every few nights).

epiduo (used at night if i have a breakout, or as a preventive measure).

i also have insanely dry lips and have yet to find a lip conditioner/balm/cream/whatever that i would call 'good'. i've tried literally everything - aesop, kiehls, m+g, carmex, chapstick, blister, lush etc etc. all of them are garbage and i've found the body shop's hemp one is the 'best' out of all of then.

no homo.

Edited by conqueror