Bicyclettes

canice

i locked my bike up last weak with my old ass u-lock, and when i got back to it the keyhole was twisted wierd and i couldnt get the key back in. i tried the bic pen trick and that didnt work, then i went home and got some tools. no one even gave me a sideways look as i was working on it, even when i got the jack out to bend it. but really if i saw someone so obviously working on a bike lock id probably assume they were in my situation rather than a thief.

its pretty fucked when someone doesnt do anything after they see you leave your bike and then see someone else walk up to it, clip the lock and take off

any luck with that campus security cameras?

its pretty fucked when someone doesnt do anything after they see you leave your bike and then see someone else walk up to it, clip the lock and take off

Walked to Coffee Bean earlier today and passed by a dude walkin the opposite way of me on the sidewalk lookin around all sketchy... On my walk back from having my coffee saw the same dude tryna do the hanger trick on a locked car... It was the middle of the day and on a busy street so I kinda figured it was his car... But I guess I shoulda did something... idk what tho... I was thinkin bout asking "That your car?" in a hood manner to maybe scare him offf... idk

ALSO - anyone in New York know of a good/cheap place to rent a bike for a day? I don't wanna go through the hassle of shipping mine, especially when I feel like I'm only gonna use it for a day. Looking more for a road bike as opposed to the cruisers people usually rent in tourist spots

Thanks

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

(I apologize if I'm obnoxious/ignorant; I'm new to fixed gear riding.)

I have a 2008 Bianchi Pista that I was riding/commuting with. I finally threw on some riser bars and was riding around testing them out. Suddenly, my foot releases from the pedal and I'm on the ground. The pedal was ripped from the crank arm. I took my bike inside and saw the mess: the pedal had stripped the crank. FUCK.

As a speed bump, the crankset was stock: 48T Truvativ Touro; the pedals were cheap Wellgos. The pedals were properly screwed in, tightened, and greased.

In anger, I did some decent research and found a few others on the Interwebz that had the same shit happen. Coincidence? Regardless of anger of shitty cranks, I need to fix this one way or another. I see my options as:

1) Replace crank arm (moderate to high difficulty; I don't really want to as the same shit component would be replaced.)

2) Replace crankset (high difficulty; I'm broke and the only think I would even be able to remotely afford soon would be a Sugino RD.)

3) Sell the Bianchi Pista/part it out; purchase new fixie (moderate difficulty; not sure what I could get/who to sell it to/etc.)

Everything else is in perfect working condition. The only "flaws" are 4 incredibly small, yet noticeable, surface scratches on the frame of the bike. Other than that, the seat post, steam, and stock bars show typical wear for a 5 month old bike used somewhat frequently.

What the fuck do I do?... I'm so pissed/broken about this shit.

I have a 2008 Bianchi Pista that I was riding/commuting with. I finally threw on some riser bars and was riding around testing them out. Suddenly, my foot releases from the pedal and I'm on the ground. The pedal was ripped from the crank arm. I took my bike inside and saw the mess: the pedal had stripped the crank. FUCK.

As a speed bump, the crankset was stock: 48T Truvativ Touro; the pedals were cheap Wellgos. The pedals were properly screwed in, tightened, and greased.

In anger, I did some decent research and found a few others on the Interwebz that had the same shit happen. Coincidence? Regardless of anger of shitty cranks, I need to fix this one way or another. I see my options as:

1) Replace crank arm (moderate to high difficulty; I don't really want to as the same shit component would be replaced.)

2) Replace crankset (high difficulty; I'm broke and the only think I would even be able to remotely afford soon would be a Sugino RD.)

3) Sell the Bianchi Pista/part it out; purchase new fixie (moderate difficulty; not sure what I could get/who to sell it to/etc.)

Everything else is in perfect working condition. The only "flaws" are 4 incredibly small, yet noticeable, surface scratches on the frame of the bike. Other than that, the seat post, steam, and stock bars show typical wear for a 5 month old bike used somewhat frequently.

i think this is common occurence, i had the same pedal + crankset.

if you'd like, i have a "working" left crank (if you stripped your left side...)

let me know.

(this was the reason i replaced mine with the omniums, and i love em wont go back to square taper ever)

What about replacing the pedal threads?

keeps costs low, but i think he could afford to have a upgraded crankset.

Rethreading the crank arm would be a bit weird, because I think I would have to helicoil it. Not sure who could do this successfully in the Sac area.

I did contact the bike shop I bought it from in Colorado Springs (via eBay) and they requested pictures and contact info and told me they would ask for the crankset back, request a replacement from Bianchi, and send them to me free of charge. They never asked a question.

Sounds good to me, but I'll need to keep in mind that Truvativ Touro is pretty much garbage to me. Hopefully I'll move to some Sugino RD cranks (or better) soon.

You should def be able to get a replacement set of cranks. There is NO way that a pedal should be stripped from a crank arm under normal riding circumstances (even going over a speed hump). That is just unsafe and pathetic on truvativ's behalf.

I might also email truvativ to let them know of the problem if i were you.

I stripped a pedal out of a FSA crank on my ironhorse downhill rig last year, clipped a rock on a massive straight at high speed. Bent the crank arm bad and stripped the pedal straight out. But my FSA flats somehow managed to come out of it completely undamaged.

Any half decent LBS should be able to heli coil it, but you should def get a replacement as it is a manufactuer's fault.

i think this is common occurence, i had the same pedal + crankset.

if you'd like, i have a "working" left crank (if you stripped your left side...)

let me know.

(this was the reason i replaced mine with the omniums, and i love em wont go back to square taper ever)

keeps costs low, but i think he could afford to have a upgraded crankset.

what difference does the taper of the BB make? I'm curious.

I ride sugino RD right now and I'm pretty happy with them.

I started doing retarded shit like wheelies and i started noticingthat the crankarms flex too much

what do you think of bianchi pista's geometry? i feel like i would have an easier time doing tricks on another frame. i think the frame size is an issue too.

building a proper trick bike is pretty difficult. there are so many factors that influence the way your bike rides e.g. gear ratio, seat placement and how far it is from the stem, cockpit, proper leg extension...

ive been riding fixed for like 1.5 years but have yet to figure out much.

it doesn't help that no one around me owns a trick bike e.g. cutter, bruiser, gangsta and etc

Scored a real good condition Concept for dirt cheap. Making me feel a bit better about getting jacked. Someone just hit a local university real hard - stolen cranks, a whole IRO, bars, and some other shit off different bikes. Shit's getting intense.

misterko's talking about how easy and convenient the Omniums are compared to traditional 3 piece cranksets.

I've been told sizing down on a frame helps if you plan to do tricks on it. Scared to do anything to crazy on the Concept...the stories I hear about the seat clamp cracking are scaring me off big time.

Scored a real good condition Concept for dirt cheap. Making me feel a bit better about getting jacked. Someone just hit a local university real hard - stolen cranks, a whole IRO, bars, and some other shit off different bikes. Shit's getting intense.

Hey kid, did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason you "scored a real good condition Concept for dirt cheap" is because it too, was stolen from some poor schmuck? Though I hope that ain't the case.

so ok i'm getting sick and tired of trying to chase down a bike on ebay :( (there's no craigslist in ger) so i'm just putting this here and asking if it's even remotely worth what the asking price is. if so i'm just gonna pull the trigger

http://cgi.ebay.de/Kynast-Singlespeed-pulverbeschichtet-Mavic-Dicta_W0QQitemZ250506347703QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSport_Radsport_Fahrr%C3%A4der?hash=item3a535784b7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

even 500$ is too much for that. 500 euros should be enough to get you a decent off the rack fixed gear.

You forgot we are speaking about German market. "Good" fixed gear bikes start at 800€ ($1.2k) but still with average parts.

There is a shitload of old vintage stuff in various hands but nobody will give it away.

But yeah, 500€ for this crap is just ridiculous but this is how it is working here.

Try http://www.velomarkt.ch/

-there has to be a Austrian bike forum with good prices, too.(can't remember the name)

-there is also a messenger bike forum but most guys won't be such legit...

-maybe http://www.singlespeedshop.com/ got something, too

EDIT: if you tell me what size you need I can check a forum for you