Bicyclettes

canice

Damn, nothing wrong with the bike?

I almost got hit by a cop going the wrong way down a one way street tonight. Not too close, but enough to get me a little shook.

i slid out to the left so my bike was in the air the whole time. no damage thankfully.

I would fucking love to. $3K is more than I want to / need to spend. Knowing my luck I'll be tagged by some 18 wheeler within the first month. The black 9 1 is a beautiful thing.

you're forgetting hommedeguerre is on the trust fund tip and buys all kinds of expensive toys.

youre lucky you didnt get a ticket .. cops around here have been being dicks lately busting people for running lights/signs and the likes

The cop was the one going the wrong way. I may have not been clear on that.

I did go through a light, but it was pretty slowly since I couldn't see clearly down the street. The cop didn't even bother to slow down, though. He couldn't see the light since it was on the other side and he didn't have his lights on or anything.

Getting a ticket for it would have had me raging.

seems kinda heavy for something with all that high end carbon...

Hmmm, heavy? Well, the UCI limit is 6.8kg...so, why would anyone want anything lighter than that? It's an XL...and it doesn't have ANY super-weight weenie parts on it...all reliable...all carbon. that weight is WITH a computer, and a trainer skewer on the rear...

a.s.

so i just got a new cog and lockring put on at the local shop yesterday, and this morning it slipped. took it back, dude said "this is really tight, which way did it slip?" i told him "forwards and backwards".

so he checks it, apparently the cog was loose but the lockring was tight.

maybe i'm not getting something... but if he had room to tighten the cog, doesn't he now have room to tighten the lockring as well? it seems like now there'd be a small gap between the cog and LR now. ?

*edit- yup, still slipping back and forth. slips to where it tightens to the hub, then when i put pressure it slips and tightens to the lockring. fffffuuuuuu

so i just got a new cog and lockring put on at the local shop yesterday, and this morning it slipped. took it back, dude said "this is really tight, which way did it slip?" i told him "forwards and backwards".

maybe i'm not getting something... but if he had room to tighten the cog, doesn't he now have room to tighten the lockring as well? it seems like now there'd be a small gap between the cog and LR now. ?

*edit- yup, still slipping back and forth. slips to where it tightens to the hub, then when i put pressure it slips and tightens to the lockring. fffffuuuuuu

wtf? It seems as if he didn't tighten the cog all the way before tightening the lockring.

Some cogs are too narrow for the stepped threading. It could still butt against the lockring and slip some.

Two things: the shop should be tightening the cog tight enough to now slip regardless of the lockring's tightness. The lockring should be to prevent total unscrewing, and should not be receiving constant pressure. Secondly, if this was a problem, they should have either shimmed the cog or gotten you a stepped lockring. I think Phil and Paul make them but I think there are also cheaper options.

Maybe it's just a bunch of punctures, but after you get the tube in the tire and before you pump it up, check the bead all the way round to make sure the tube is not under it. This is the cause of many, many pinch flats!

And a 20mm tube is fine to use in a 23mm tire. I use 20-25mm tubes in my 34mm cross tires like many others. Going the other way is not advisable, the tube will bunch and make the tire misshapen.

Haha, I have a 25c in my 23cs. I've heard it can be bad, but i've also heard a longtime cyclist say they had the same setup. I haven't had any problems yet (not to say I won't). Why would you want to use a smaller tube though? I mean, weight loss is negligible and it seems like it'd be weaker (even if it does still work, higher likelihood of failure seems expected to me?).

What wheel is it?

If its a Mavic Elipse, youre gonna need a spacer, in between the cog and lockring.

But it seems as if you do need a spacer, since you have a gap.