Bicyclettes

canice

i'd say 59 is about perfect, you could go down to a 58 and you can absolutely go up to around a 62, any smaller than 58 and you'll probably have like a foot of seatpost and toe overlap (if it's a track frame). it all depends on how you want to be positioned on the bike, a larger bike will give you more room and keep you stretched out, while a smaller frame will handle a bit faster and put more of your weight over the bars (which i like better)
really? im also at 6 even and a 56 seems just about perfect for me. i wouldnt want to go any taller than a 58 tops i think.

thanks both, I guess the best method is just to try out the sizing bike to bike

really? im also at 6 even and a 56 seems just about perfect for me. i wouldnt want to go any taller than a 58 tops i think.

he's got a 34" inseam though. sizing is different for everyone, which is why it's important to get measured correctly. I'm 6'3" and ride a 58-60, because I have a short torso so i like a short top tube, but i have a friend whos 6'2" and rides a 63-65 because he has a 36" inseam. you need to know your reach, inseam, torso length and probably a couple other things. go try a couple bikes out, as there are many variables that go into fitting a bit properly, but it's best to get fitted at the shop (that's what I did the first time)

is it really that light? i havent made a trip to see it in person yet but i had read that in reviews a few times. light is good..

if i do opt for the trek its going single speed/brake(s).

yeah ive heard, thats what im most worried about :/

but nah, im a noob. dont know about surly, hook a brotha up with a link?

i saw one of those fuji x obey giant collab bikes today. id love it if it had brake mounts. it looked slick.

I didn't know there was a bike thread.

I ride a 87' schwinn paramount.

Aint no fixie though- I just recently fitted it with a shimano ultegra sl, up from a shimano 300. I only upgraded cuz it had downtube shifters.

cannondale soho or trek t1?

8PR1_red.jpg

t1_chired.jpg

I don't understand why you'd go with a professional track bike to ride around nyc for your first bike. a) it's aluminum, which will dent easily on anything you lock it up to. B) you'll kill the wheelset in a month riding nyc streets, one pothole and you're done. c) it's so flashy....

i'd say go for something steal, with more bulletproof components, and not so bright. track stuff like that isn't meant for the road, esp. a beginner in nyc. NJS stuff is ridden because it's older and honestly decently outdated technology, but it's like old steal road frames-bulletproof. If you're going to go SS or fixed gear, I'd agree with either a surly, iro, the capo is nice but so so bright, or maybe build something up.

with the amount of money it looks like you can spend, and if you really want top of the line, proxy a nice lugged track frame and build it up with some 32 or 36hole hubs to sturdy rims like open pros or velocitys, a nice crank set, and a comfy seat. you'll be all set.

corter while i would probably agree with you if a person was a long time rider..but honestly i would not go with a FIXED gear to ride around. It's really not efficient most of the time.

Sure, it's fun, sure you can go fast. trackstands are useful, but the inability to coast sucks.\

buy a kona paddy wagon and call it a day.

no no, im not saying to get a fixed gear at all, quite the contrary (he said he wanted an SS). i think something more utilitarian and easier to learn on is better, the paddywagon is a great example, but since he's been looikng at all high end stuff i just thought i'd throw out the njs option. you could ride it as a SS and have it for future fixed gear i guess?

I just can't really see eye to eye with the whole thing, because i've never had enough money to buy the best of something right off from the begining. It's like he could really spend too much money and get something that's not usefull or proper for his needs as it would be if he had, say, $500. That would force a purchase of something more fit for his uses, oddly enough