Bicyclettes

canice

what's up with people turning top shelf road bikes into budget-ass conversions? i saw a merckx the other day with formulas on it. when i asked the dude about it he said he "took some shitty old parts off of it and built up this rad fixie." dunce.

The thing is that I'm building a tri-bike right now (on a different frame, obviously) and I'm just not sure what to do with this. I bought it because it was cheap. Not really a fan of selling it, so fixie is my first thought, for lack of better ideas. Also, I don't want to dump a bunch of money into a bike that's simply not going to be used that often.

What would you do with this frame? Take sell it off the table for right now...should I just put it away for a while until I can do something with it?

i'd sell it... building a fixed gear on that frame is probably more pain than its worth. i mean, you do have a derailleur hanger and can use a singleator, but skid stops, etc get dicey with putting so much force on one of those.

maybe build up a nice singlespeed?

Got my bike out of storage in midtown today! Riding the west side highway bike path was fun, so fast and smooth. Then went over the bk bridge, amazing how out of shape I am, I was dying! Don't think it helped much that I smoked a shit lot of cigs over the winter, but whatever I'm super excited to be riding again.

Haven't posted here in forever but lurked a little bit from time to time. ML, did you finish building your concept?

Going to treat myself to a burger...

Got my bike out of storage in midtown today! Riding the west side highway bike path was fun, so fast and smooth. Then went over the bk bridge, amazing how out of shape I am, I was dying! Don't think it helped much that I smoked a shit lot of cigs over the winter, but whatever I'm super excited to be riding again.

Haven't posted here in forever but lurked a little bit from time to time. ML, did you finish building your concept?

Going to treat myself to a burger...

maybe that's why you're out of shape..

sorry about blowin' up the spot on this but this is the bike I'm thinking of getting

track_4.jpg

FRAMESET: Elios 2 custom butted Cro-Moly with track dropout, drilled bridge for rear brake *NOTE* Due to spec change, pictured brake cable stops ARE NOT on the final product.

FORK: Fuji 1 1/8" custom triple butted Cro-Moly, crown drilled for front brake

CRANK, CHAINRING: CRANK, CHAINRING: RPM CFM-100 Forged Alloy, 48T

WHEELS: Fuji Alloy Track, 32H, sealed bearing hub, dual threaded rear

FEATURES: Fuji 6061, anatomical drop bar; Fuji Track Aluminum stem with removable clamp, Fuji micro adjust seat post, Fuji Superlight Racing saddle

SIZES: 49cm, 52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 61cm

COLOR: Matte Gray

WEIGHT: 20.99 lbs / 9.53 kg

MSRP: $510

what y'all think?

a little heavy I know :(

i will never not eat a burger!

nah.. i have all the parts and the wheels coming from CA next week. now all i need is the fucking frame. bianchi needs to stop dragging ass. where do you live in bk minibigben

I'm in RAMBO! That's what the kids are calling it these days (between dumbo and downtown bk, closer to dumbo)

I kind of want a concept too, what color is the new one going to be? Still considering one of those faux-pursuit Affinity frames too. But I kind of want Margiela sneaks more...

What to do?

ajax-

Not not a fan. Whether or not it'd be good for you all depends on your mentality towards this. Is this going to be something you'll slowly keep upgrading? Or are you going to just keep it as is and not worry too much about it? I'd imagine you wouldn't have a very easy time selling the parts you'll eventually upgrade.

Though the best option in my opinion would be to scour craigslist and/or ebay and keep your eye out for something used.

update: bought gt pulse complete: $600

took everything but frameset off (dura ace grupo...wheels, crank, bb,seatpost, seat, etc including bars and stem) and posted on ebay. final sale: $623 shipped. gaining almost complete grupo made me $23.

awesome.

I sold my old bike and I'm trying to decide between the Kilo TT and The Hour from Windsor. The Windsor is $50 dollars cheaper and comes with an upgraded FSA Vero Aluminum crankset compared to the Kilos TruVativ Touro crankset. But the Kilo has a nicer fork on it, and a slighty more track geometry. I'll be replacing the wheelset, stem, and pedals almost immeditaley.

Any thoughts?

i vote kilo,i love mine (didnt even mind the stem when i had it). i hate the hour frames. the fork is super dumb looking and the stickers are lame too. the upgraded fsa cranks aren't really going to be much better than the truvative, they're still mediocre cranck sets

anyone here usually around the island on friday nights? (embarcadero) lol do they usually have that rollerblading disco micro critical mass thing? haha that was nice and random.:D

edit: i vote windsor.. the $50 saved is $50 towards a decent tire or brake...

im selling my 49cm windsor frame for like $100 or watever.. anyone in sf bayarea interested.. lol still has bb and headset, stem n watever... oooh fatlace & mash stickers on it BUYBUYBUY you know you want to ;D lol...

saw some SF news article of their ringleader leading a ride (I guess that is what you'd call it) from the bay to LA... yes on rollerblades. Not sure how long, but I'm sure it's a fundraiser to cure things.

I hear there's huge roller blade masses around the bay area. Saw some in Palo Alto once-- they even had cones and whistles for the thing.

Thats the gayest thing ive ever read.

shane:"Dawg...I just gotta..blade, man. You know?"

blake: "yo, i feel you on that. Lets do it"

shane: "alright but first i need to grab my whistle."

blake: "dont forget the cones."

you're talking about bikesdirect right? go for the kilo. i just got mine like two weeks ago and it rides great, the parts are pretty decent considering they're stock but the geometry rides a hell of a lot smoother than my conversion, plus the chro-moly frame still manages to be pretty light, as far as modifications go i'm probably getting nitto bullhorns and a different wheelset, but the truvativ cranks are holding up pretty well and the ratio is perfect (48/16) and it's a great upgrade from the 42/14 i was previously running on.

I sold my old bike and I'm trying to decide between the Kilo TT and The Hour from Windsor. The Windsor is $50 dollars cheaper and comes with an upgraded FSA Vero Aluminum crankset compared to the Kilos TruVativ Touro crankset. But the Kilo has a nicer fork on it, and a slighty more track geometry. I'll be replacing the wheelset, stem, and pedals almost immeditaley.

Any thoughts?

you're talking about bikesdirect right? go for the kilo. i just got mine like two weeks ago and it rides great, the parts are pretty decent considering they're stock but the geometry rides a hell of a lot smoother than my conversion, plus the chro-moly frame still manages to be pretty light, as far as modifications go i'm probably getting nitto bullhorns and a different wheelset, but the truvativ cranks are holding up pretty well and the ratio is perfect (48/16) and it's a great upgrade from the 42/14 i was previously running on.

I hate to break this to you, but 48/16 and 42/14 are the exact same ratio.

lollerskates

we used to call them fruit-booters o.o haha

and to whoever got my last post twisted, fuck no i wasn't participating in that. they just took over the whole island for a minute, so noone could bike at all...

and i dont think they were doin that blades for aids or whatever ya macall it.. there were like 50 or less ppl, it must've been a mini gay pride parade or something.

blinkies n whistles.

edit: that's not meant to be a joke either. if you heard the guy on the bullhorn...