Bicyclettes

canice

i want that aerospoke :[ but i dont got 3bills X[ i'll trade you some beanie babies hahha

hahahaha i just had that random thought. my bad lol:D

also:

new saddle.

sanmarcosexbc9.png

sanmarcosexycl4.png

so sexy..

nice blue saddle ;D

and why is the san marco logo all lowercase X[ could've at least used smallcaps or something.

might as well say made in china

this thread needs more pics!

i'm going to NZ for 5 months... but when i get back I'm gonna build a single gear.

or buy one.

Are there any good message boards for fixed gear bikes? ... ive searched but cant find any.

Message boards with lots of pictures and info.

also a noob question i was just curious... isnt the tire skidding at the same two spots when you skid (more primarily the one spot where yur strong foots forward) .. doesnt this kill the tires after a couple skids?

also a noob question i was just curious... isnt the tire skidding at the same two spots when you skid (more primarily the one spot where yur strong foots forward) .. doesnt this kill the tires after a couple skids?

It actually has to do with your gear ratio. This chart is helpful:

dennyskidspotchart.jpg

yea that chart is real helpful.

except it all means nothing to me.

but if you keep yur gear ratio the same over a few weeks then that same spot'll get worn down ...

or maybe im confused

pretty much, because unless you rotate your tire every week or so, it'll hit the same spot becuase the tire doesn't move positions when you skid. It's unfortunate, because when you spend $60.00 on a Conti tire, the last thing you wanna do is swap it out a week later because you ripped it up.

:(

Skidding does in fact wear your tires down unnecessarily...hence the reason I don't do it. Well that and I CAN'T. What that chart is saying is that if you run a 36x12 gear ratio, you're going to have 1 skid spot on your tire, assuming that you always skid with the same foot forward. However if you have a 53x21 (Jesus on a pogo stick), you would have 21 skid spots. That would cause considerably less wear than the 36x12.

Skidding does in fact wear your tires down unnecessarily...hence the reason I don't do it. Well that and I CAN'T. What that chart is saying is that if you run a 36x12 gear ratio, you're going to have 1 skid spot on your tire, assuming that you always skid with the same foot forward. However if you have a 53x21 (Jesus on a pogo stick), you would have 21 skid spots. That would cause considerably less wear than the 36x12.

yeah, I mean skidding isn't really necessary. RUN A BRAKE! :D

but christ, a 53x21. That's kinder sillyy haha. Only if you wanted a whole buncharoos of skid spots.

Total bike noob here... Thinking about getting a fixed gear and got a few simple questions... Do you guys recommend buying parts and putting it together myself? having a shop do it? or buy a complete and switch out parts as i see it fit? and also since i'm a student whats the most cost effective? I looking on spending $500-$800

Thanks and sorry for noob questions :D

also... i really like the look of this guys bike, might want to build something or get something similar.

2ylojee.jpg

Total bike noob here... Thinking about getting a fixed gear and got a few simple questions... Do you guys recommend buying parts and putting it together myself? having a shop do it? or buy a complete and switch out parts as i see it fit? and also since i'm a student whats the most cost effective? I looking on spending $500-$800

Thanks and sorry for noob questions :D

also... i really like the look of this guys bike, might want to build something or get something similar.

2ylojee.jpg

Well, buying your first fixie, I think some people that don't need to worry about cost would buy parts by just learning the ins and outs from friends and what not. But as I know, cost sucks, and buying each part separately is a bitch and gets expensive. Espeically the fact that you'd need to know about parts (measurements, and how to install them), not only that, you usually would need specialized parts (bottom bracket tools, chain whips, spoke tools, tire levels, a whole bunch of allen keys and wrenches) and those can get expensive as well. With my experience, I started by buying a relatively cheap Giant Bowery built up from my shop, I switched out the bars just cause the ones on it were wide. It only ran me about $400.00, so I think that's your best bet, especially because it's good to learn how to ride a fixie. And then from there, you can learn about all the parts and how to build the fixie itself as well as tricks, and then move onto a nicer build where you get everything separately and can build something you've imagined.

That guys bike looks like it has a 650c wheel on the back though, which is strange.

Nice build though, I would look into a Giant Bowery or a Felt Dispatch of somesort. Those are good, and in your price range, and a great starting bike.

Well, buying your first fixie, I think some people that don't need to worry about cost would buy parts by just learning the ins and outs from friends and what not. But as I know, cost sucks, and buying each part separately is a bitch and gets expensive. Espeically the fact that you'd need to know about parts (measurements, and how to install them), not only that, you usually would need specialized parts (bottom bracket tools, chain whips, spoke tools, tire levels, a whole bunch of allen keys and wrenches) and those can get expensive as well. With my experience, I started by buying a relatively cheap Giant Bowery built up from my shop, I switched out the bars just cause the ones on it were wide. It only ran me about $400.00, so I think that's your best bet, especially because it's good to learn how to ride a fixie. And then from there, you can learn about all the parts and how to build the fixie itself as well as tricks, and then move onto a nicer build where you get everything separately and can build something you've imagined.

That guys bike looks like it has a 650c wheel on the back though, which is strange.

Nice build though, I would look into a Giant Bowery or a Felt Dispatch of somesort. Those are good, and in your price range, and a great starting bike.

Thanks for your response. I'm heading into the city on Saturday, got some good recommendations to some shops! Everything you said totally makes sense though. I figured buying a complete would be the best bet and going from there..

i really hope that's just weird perspective and not a 650 on the back. if so, the frame is made to where it wouldn't even fit a 700c on the back.

andy.. i'm always down to ride. let me know when you're in the city. your name doesn't have to do with kodan armada, i hope?

in other news, i found out i put the randonneur tire i got 2 weeks ago on backwards. sped!