Bicyclettes

canice

Powder Coating my Frame tomorrow, I been thinking about colours it pissing me off:

Purple w. metal flake

Black w. metal flake

Pearl White

Flouro Pink i.e. Panasonic frame

Baby Pink

My cranks is silver and rims is gunmetal....

Give me some opinion.

Thanks,

Dubbbo.

i had a friend spray his frame and it turned out pretty good- the second time around.

the first time he neglected to strip or primer the frame. this makes a huge difference in the overall final appearance and durability of the paint job- unless you don't care about it looking like a melting leper.

Does anyone here have experience with painting a frame w/ spray paint?

Can't find anyone to powder coat the frame, and I don't think I really need to, since it's just a cheap conversion. Thanks for any help.

My friend did it to my Pista.

Just painted it flat black, didnt put a clear coat at the end. Turned out great. Cept the top tube sort of "polished" because my inner thighs would rub against it. Other than that, paint stayed the same.

Most important part, is sanding it down right. And Primer.

if you can get your hands on it, auto paint is a good/cheap/durable solution. it looks beautiful and coats on nice. if you can get them to load a can for you, even better. stripping down + priming is a must. clearcoat is optional but really nice if you care about your colors.

5.jpg

Sanded down the frame as good as I could, and then cleaned it. Here's a pic of the first coat of primer. Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Btw thanks to the people who gave me some advice. Probably going to go with some black spray paint, and then coat if with a clear coat at the end. Not too sure if I can get my hands on some auto paint unfortunately...

I'd get the headset out before you go and further. Otherwise the paint could dry against it and it'll crack off when you eventually try and remove it.

Looks like there might be a separate collar to tighten the seatpost. If so better get that off too.

And pack the bottom bracket (with paper or masking tape) to prevent the threads from filling with paint. If you don't at best it'll be a bugger to get a BB in there. At worst it'll get expensive as a shop will need to put a die on the threads to clean 'em out. In the UK the last time I asked a shop to tap the threads on a 1" fork it cost £25 and broke their die.

i've painted both of my frames with just spraypaint and it turns out well as long as you have patience.. yeah i wouldnt paint it lying flat like that though, i always hang my shit on something and just paint it so i dont have to keep flipping it over and touching it etc.

just thread some small rope thru the headtube and hang it from the ceiling or something. auto paints are nice if you dont wanna coat it with clear, cuz a lot of them don't react well to clear coat on top. it usually cracks :[

just mess around with it. cover surrounding crapp to avoid overspray.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=50254 if interested +

Desperately looking for a 49cm or 51cm Bianchi Pista (full built or frame itself). Will pay exceptional moniesssssss.

Or any suggestions regarding what new bike to buy or any frame to get in order to make a bike from scrap. Recently sold my oldddd asssssssssxxx bike finally and looking for something more sexual.

Selling my NOS Cannondale Track frame I'll take the lock plus some monies, it hasn't even been built up, one of the best frames that's NOS now, PM me and we can talk.

I'd get the headset out before you go and further. Otherwise the paint could dry against it and it'll crack off when you eventually try and remove it.

Looks like there might be a separate collar to tighten the seatpost. If so better get that off too.

And pack the bottom bracket (with paper or masking tape) to prevent the threads from filling with paint. If you don't at best it'll be a bugger to get a BB in there. At worst it'll get expensive as a shop will need to put a die on the threads to clean 'em out. In the UK the last time I asked a shop to tap the threads on a 1" fork it cost £25 and broke their die.

Collar seems to be attached to the seatpost, so I left it on. Taped up the bottom bracket, so there hopefully won't be a problem ;)

i've painted both of my frames with just spraypaint and it turns out well as long as you have patience.. yeah i wouldnt paint it lying flat like that though, i always hang my shit on something and just paint it so i dont have to keep flipping it over and touching it etc.

just thread some small rope thru the headtube and hang it from the ceiling or something. auto paints are nice if you dont wanna coat it with clear, cuz a lot of them don't react well to clear coat on top. it usually cracks :[

just mess around with it. cover surrounding crapp to avoid overspray.

Wish I could find some place to hang the frame, but there just isn't anywhere around the house where I could unfortunately :( Going to have to stick with spraying the frame on the ground...

Probably going to spray over the black paint with a clear coat. Any recommendations on a brand which won't crack? Thanks again.

i have one.. nothing wrong with it, but as you know you get wat u pay for, the welds are ugly. i would recommend getting it if you like saving money and buying cheap stuff. i wouldnt recommend getting it for sexual purposes though, they'll put you on the sexpredator list, ha.

that guy was totally into his bike prons xD

as for paint, i'd just say use like-brands, such as rusto black with rusto clearcoat

or krylon black, with krylon clearcoat... and so on.

im about to paint my frame again actually, i'm bored of schoolbus yellow. any suggestions?

Anyone suggest aluminum Leader 720 frames?

You might try looking into those sparton track frames if you're on a budget. I haven't personally seen one but from the looks of it they seem pretty decent, a bit heavy I hear but otherwise a nice looking lugged track frame. Maybe someone else here has more info/experience with them.

297907613.jpg

297907622.jpg

297907615.jpg

this from one of my older posts..

"ITS NOT A TUMOR!!"

but hey rides solid!

here's a pic before i paint it.

312543941.jpg

who cares if the lugs are ugly. PEEEEANUT BUTTER! those frames are pretty nice for $200.

i wouldn't get a sparton. they are fucking heavy gas pipe frames.

if you really want a pista, you should be able to find one no problem. have your bike shop order you one. don't want the parts? just sell them for about retail and you have a cheap frame on your hands.

This may end up being the dumbest question I ever ask, but what is the best way to maximize chain tension and wheel, erm...straightness? I've been doing it by hand with mixed results, ie: tight chain/off center wheel, loose chain/off center wheel, loose chain/where the fuck did I put the wheel, etc.

Also, if doing it by hand is acceptable, can anyone give me any tips on how to properly do it.

Many thanks, my smarter compatriots.

This may end up being the dumbest question I ever ask, but what is the best way to maximize chain tension and wheel, erm...straightness? I've been doing it by hand with mixed results, ie: tight chain/off center wheel, loose chain/off center wheel, loose chain/where the fuck did I put the wheel, etc.

Also, if doing it by hand is acceptable, can anyone give me any tips on how to properly do it.

Many thanks, my smarter compatriots.

pull the left side tight and have the wheel touching the left chainstay and tighten the left side then push the wheel to the left making it straight this will allow u to control the tension of the chain. then when u have the right tension tighten the right side and the wheel doesnt have to be straight yet.

after you tighten the rightside loosen the left and line the wheel straight and tighten. it sounds wierd but once you try it you will understand.