Bicyclettes

canice

So i'm 6'1" and im looking at an IRO. Im not sure what size I need in anything.

http://www.irofixedgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7

Where do i look for more info? Maybe i'll just call them?

Thanks dude....i read the site.

A conversion chart to convert numbers that I don't understand the relevance of, or have any context for does not help. I am completely new to this.

Thanks dude....i read the site.

A conversion chart to convert numbers that I don't understand the relevance of, or have any context for does not help. I am completely new to this.

Hey dude since u r 6 foot 1 you would want to ride a size 59cm IRO. Normally u can ride other frame around size 56 to 58cm but IRO smaller compare to others.

^^ in response

depends on which IRO you're looking at. they're all different metals/geometries etc.

the pista is pretty standard steel, nothing to fawn over, but it's still decent steel nonetheless. the pista has tight track geo, which is comparable to the angus. however the angus has reynolds 631 steel which is a nice upgrade and also comes threaded (meaning you'll need a different stem setup. some people swear by threaded stems, but it's easy to get threadless since that's the common standard nowadays). Pista can be bought from just about any shop, so you can try it out. make sure you try one with a brake on it if you're not used to fixed gear bikes-- they usually sell'em brakeless and with plastic platform pedals.

IRO breakdown:

angus - 631 steel, tight track geo. not sure if it's track legal, but it will be twitchier than a road bike.

mark v pro - 631 steel, comparable if not the same geo as an angus (don't know offhand).

mark v - lower grade of steel, reynolds 530 i believe? has tear shaped tubing which some people like. also has holes for a front + back brake and water bottles (i wish my bike had holes for some).

jamis roy - aluminum and thick tubed. read up on aluminum on sheldonbrown.com if you want to hear a bit more about how it rides. meant more as a versatile commuter-- accepts thicker tires + wider hubs (road hubs), has 2 water bottle bosses, drilled from ffront and back brakes, but still retains a geo more aggressive than your average roadie.

hope that helps.

not all IROs...

So I'm thinking about switching my Kona to an SS just cuz I'm a lil tired of riding fixed. I need to work on being a better cyclist and riding fixed doesn't help much with stroke. Not a permanent change as I can just flip the wheel to the fixed cog whenever need be.

Why people do not do any research bothers the hell out of me...

Flip-flop is has a side for a fixed cog + lockring and a side for a freewheel.

So yes, there are.

Bikes from www.bikesdirect.com are decent for about $300-$350.

thanks man i've been looking for a cheap fixed gear that dosnt cost like 800 bucks. I'm not sure if i can comit to riding a bike everywhere though.

Can anyone help me? Cross post from bikeforums...

I was riding around the other day with my new rear wheel, and felt a slip on forward pressure, and not on skidding or back pressure? It happened twice in a row on starting from a stop.

What should I do? The wheel was built, and components were installed by a pro. The cog/lockring are dura ace.

new chick magnet

fxd

I love the straight forks, take the decals off maybe?.

Looks so clean, good call on the oldschool metal(coloured, before any of you faggots say all rims are metal like the smarties you are) walled rims, super clean.

But how's she ride is the thing? looks pretty rigid.

thanks for all the props!

i think it needs a nice quill stem, that one reminds me of the stock kilo stems which suck balls

other than that, super nice build. im oddly attracted to the color

heh i actually just replaced the stem this morning. it's a salsa sul stem with a removeable front plate so i can quickly change bars. looks pretty nice in person i think even though the black sticks out. i had a generic aluminum stem on there before that actually looked like a nitto, but it was a pain switching bars especially since i like to use tape/grips.

fxd

I love the straight forks, take the decals off maybe?.

Looks so clean, good call on the oldschool metal(coloured, before any of you faggots say all rims are metal like the smarties you are) walled rims, super clean.

But how's she ride is the thing? looks pretty rigid.

wish i could take off the decals but they're under the clearcoat. the bike is built like a tank, but still rides real tight and quick. loving it so far.

do you skid stop or have brakes? i'm having this same problem on another bike

They figured it out on bikeforums,

Hi Eldave

On a new install, the standard advice is :

1 ride it up a hill to tighten the cog and then

2 take the spanner and tighten the lockring a little more.

So you should probably do step 2.

Not too big a deal if you use a brake to slow down and stop.

Great IRO, clean and classic.