Bicyclettes

canice

i am not doubting you, but how is a backpack with 2 straps that are evenly distributing the weight over two shoulders worse than a messenger bag that slings over one shoulder?

Yeah it completely makes sense for a double strap bag to be more comfortable lol but for some reason my backpack like, digs into my shoulders and pecs no matter how i adjust it.

I was eyeing a chrome bag because they have that immensely padded strap. but i want to get something that everyone in Eugene doesnt have. lol

Hello there sufu bicycle crew. After years of putting my bmx bike away, I finally went out and purchased a bike. On tuesday, I went to a "bike shop" which was actually just a storage garage run by a guy who buys frames, builds bikes and sells them. I went in with no knowledge of anything single speed/fixed gear related and after riding 5 or 6 bikes I ended up with one that I felt good about. Tt has a flip flop hub which was set up as single speed at first but today I switched it to fixed and I don't see myself switching it back anytime soon. I finally got used to "not coasting" today and I've been having a blast trying not to use the brake. The level of feel and control that you it is pretty awesome and I don't miss coasting one bit. Needless to say, I think I fell in love today and I can't wait to spend a while riding bikes everywhere I can. Heres a pic, all I know is that its a Peugeot frame from the 70s but the parts are supposed to be pretty solid as well. Purchased for $300.

109858208-500x500.jpg

for that price, i would of gotten a Kilo TT instead.. i wouldnt run my fixed with that crank ring, cranks , pedals.

Yeah it completely makes sense for a double strap bag to be more comfortable lol but for some reason my backpack like, digs into my shoulders and pecs no matter how i adjust it.

I was eyeing a chrome bag because they have that immensely padded strap. but i want to get something that everyone in Eugene doesnt have. lol

Go with Bailey Works or Freight Baggage IMO. They're both bombproof, are handmade in the USA, and not as common as Chrome. I have a Bailey shoulder bag which is easier to get off the shoulders but I end up using my Freight Baggage backpack 80% of the time. More comfortable and bigger.

for that price, i would of gotten a Kilo TT instead.. i wouldnt run my fixed with that crank ring, cranks , pedals.

those could use replacement and clips/straps for sure. at least you've got DP's though, stock kilo hub would've stripped in no time.

nice though kiefer, get into it!

I know nothing about bicycles. Where I live, everyone drives (SUVs at that). I'm moving to San Francisco and I won't be having a car for school next year since there is no parking. So, I was looking for a bike/parts that was relatively affordable. I'm looking for something light so I can carry is up and down flights of stair without so much strain, but at the same time durable. Also, someone told me it was cheaper to build your own as opposed to buying a whole bike pre-assembled.

Please help. Thanks.

Also, someone told me it was cheaper to build your own as opposed to buying a whole bike pre-assembled.

This is not necessarily true, unless you are happy scrounging parts and/or building it yourself. If you are ok with the skinny tires and drop bars, I'd go with a road bike. Or, you might think about a lightweight hybrid/commuter (better gearing for SF hills :) ) with slicks.

I know nothing about bicycles. Where I live, everyone drives (SUVs at that). I'm moving to San Francisco and I won't be having a car for school next year since there is no parking. So, I was looking for a bike/parts that was relatively affordable. I'm looking for something light so I can carry is up and down flights of stair without so much strain, but at the same time durable. Also, someone told me it was cheaper to build your own as opposed to buying a whole bike pre-assembled.

Please help. Thanks.

my friend moved to SF too. to save space/weight he got a Dahon foldable bike. it is pretty durable, and it was easy for him to carry up the stairs. (he weights like 130 and doesn't work out).

Can i get some opinions on brooks saddles, i hear allot of mixed responses. What modles do people have, they good, whats the care like?

brooks saddles are aight, but real men ride a flite (selle italia, that is). the new shape is even better than the original.

I'd be interested in someday getting a Brooks and cutting the sides off. For now, I enjoy my Fizik Arione.

One the rim stripping front, I've given up and bought a pair of Mavic CXP21s off Ebay. A little bit of a step down from the Open Pros, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on bike parts at the moment.

I'm beginning to think I need a new saddle. Right now I have a Selle Italia Kit carbon. It's only 125 grams, but that means that there's not much comfort (not that I'm looking for it, but still). Thing is thin:

l1040503.jpg

But mostly I'm riding on some random stock saddle that's on this babe:

l1040500.jpg

fancy fancy - how is that trek? i was lookin at that frame for a while. im riding a pake right now, but idk if i want to upgrade to a higher quality steel model or go aluminum. steels so classic and nice, and super tough

Mavic CXP21s

For as bomb-proof as Open Pros are, those are just as good if not better. My philosophy on wheels is: train/ride on wheels rated for at least double my weight and race on wheels where I am pushing the weight limit rating.

I'm beginning to think I need a new saddle. Right now I have a Selle Italia Kit carbon. It's only 125 grams, but that means that there's not much comfort (not that I'm looking for it, but still).

This may be a paradox, but I have found that a cushier saddle tends to chew up my sensitive parts more the longer the ride. I trained an entire winter on a flite with the cover and padding removed and the nose ground off and it was more comfortable than any cushy thing out there. Wish I had a pic. Something like this concept. That being said, shape is more important than cushion and the only way to evaluate shape is to sit on the damn thing in real life conditions. Buy two or three at a time, ride each a week and sell the extras on eBay. It is worth it in the end.

For as bomb-proof as Open Pros are, those are just as good if not better. My philosophy on wheels is: train/ride on wheels rated for at least double my weight and race on wheels where I am pushing the weight limit rating.

Yeah, I'm not disappointed. They'll be tough wheels to train on, and only 40g heavier than my Open Pros. To swap them out with the same lacing, does anyone know if I will need shorter spokes, or just longer nipples? The CXP 21s are a slightly higher profile than the Open Pros.

DSC_1832.jpg

Specs:

Frame & Fork:

Origin8 Del Pasado 2009 frame

Origin8 Fork

Wheels:

Araya Super Aero 700C rims

Jalco 700C rims

Joy flip-flop hub 20T

Unknown spokes

CST tires 700/28C

Kenda tubes

Steering:

Cinelli bullhorn bar

Cinelli bartape

Token headset

Unknown stem

Drivetrain:

KMC chain

Sugino XD crank 46T/165

Wellgo paddle

Wellgo toeclip

Shimano bottom bracket

Seat:

Origin8 saddle

Genio Seatpost

fancy fancy - how is that trek? i was lookin at that frame for a while. im riding a pake right now, but idk if i want to upgrade to a higher quality steel model or go aluminum. steels so classic and nice, and super tough

Yeah, you know I was a little worried about how aluminum and a carbon fork would hold up, but they've been doing great. I really have no problems with my ride, and there's actually quite a bit of stiffness there, even with a lighter ride than steel. If you ever get a chance to test one, I'd say do it. It might just change your mind.

Yeah, I'm not disappointed. They'll be tough wheels to train on, and only 40g heavier than my Open Pros. To swap them out with the same lacing, does anyone know if I will need shorter spokes, or just longer nipples? The CXP 21s are a slightly higher profile than the Open Pros.

google "spocalc," my friend.

Can i get some opinions on brooks saddles, i hear allot of mixed responses. What modles do people have, they good, whats the care like?

my few cents:

brooks saddles take some time to break in but once you have it broken in and contoured to your sit bones, it's incredibly comfortable. it's quite wide compared to other seats and it kind of hugs your inner thighs nicely.

recently i rode critical mass with my friends that spanned about 35 miles. by the end of it my butt was pretty sore on my fizik arione, while my friend on the brooks had no complaints. (though my arione is relatively new)

hope it helps

i wouldnt run my fixed with that crank ring, cranks , pedals.

just out of curiosity, why do you say that? Is it because they aren't strong enough for fixed gear riding? or any other particular reason? I'm just trying to learn and I was expecting to make upgrades anyways.

^ for one thing, if you're trying to not use your brake, you need some pedal cages so you can slow your bike down. so go for some track pedals with some foot clips and straps.

you need to be able to apply backwards force so you can skid and slow down, otherwise it's pretty dangerous.

I want a new fork. I bent my bike's OG chrome one and replaced it with a $30 black MTB looking piece of shit. its pretty heavy too. I want another chrome fork, crown I guess. Any alternatives to Soma I should look at? need 170mm/1"/threaded, if anyone wants to unload a fork shoot me a PM.