Bicyclettes

canice

You forgot we are speaking about German market. "Good" fixed gear bikes start at 800€ ($1.2k) but still with average parts.

There is a shitload of old vintage stuff in various hands but nobody will give it away.

But yeah, 500€ for this crap is just ridiculous but this is how it is working here.

Try http://www.velomarkt.ch/

-there has to be a Austrian bike forum with good prices, too.(can't remember the name)

-there is also a messenger bike forum but most guys won't be such legit...

-maybe http://www.singlespeedshop.com/ got something, too

EDIT: if you tell me what size you need I can check a forum for you

thats rough. pm bikesdirect.com on bikeforums and see if he will ship to germany. the exchange is in your favour at the moment and you can probably get a kilo tt under 300 euros. if he doesnt you can probably find someone to proxy and still be well under 500 euros

what difference does the taper of the BB make? I'm curious.

I ride sugino RD right now and I'm pretty happy with them.

I started doing retarded shit like wheelies and i started noticingthat the crankarms flex too much

what do you think of bianchi pista's geometry? i feel like i would have an easier time doing tricks on another frame. i think the frame size is an issue too.

building a proper trick bike is pretty difficult. there are so many factors that influence the way your bike rides e.g. gear ratio, seat placement and how far it is from the stem, cockpit, proper leg extension...

ive been riding fixed for like 1.5 years but have yet to figure out much.

it doesn't help that no one around me owns a trick bike e.g. cutter, bruiser, gangsta and etc

You can try asking john prolly thru his blog because I think he's using them on his ride.

Btw, are you using normal straps or something along the lines of hold fast?

Tired of snapping my nylons after a month or so..

I'm no engineering expert but I thin the reason the flex is gone is due to the fact that the cranksrms aren't attached to a square faced interface.

Therefore, when putting / applying force the square taper will be weighed down by your feet?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think that's how the flex is lowered

i had the origin 8 pedals for a few and didn't like them too much. they're super flat which means you can ride them in just about anything comfortably, but i wasn't really a fan. if you still want to give them a go, i'd sell mine with plastic clips for cheap. i probably only put about 50 miles on them.

edit.. looks like they have a royal nuevo looking rip now too. i have these:

origin8pedals3.jpg

Well, that's worth the swap from the Bridgestone...

Not feeling the black stem. I hate those 3T's anyway... Needs an Elite Ciussi...

haven't done anything too long on it yet, but it fits way better. it was a good score, especially for how cheap it was. got lucky on it as my roommate bought it since the guy had it up as a 60, but its a 57.

img0932p.th.jpg

got this old 10 speed commuter bike from the 70's and considering converting it into a fixie. I've wanted a fixed gear for awhile, but it seemed like it'd be more fun to make my own.

Few questions, is this bike ideal for a conversion? And would anybody mind pointing me in the right direction as to where I should begin?

Been meaning to ask this for a while. Do you guys have any idea how to achieve this sort of color? It looks blatantly rusty but obviously I don't think Freeman Transport would sell you a bike with a rusted through fork. This bike is one of the most beautiful I've seen in a while.

No26.jpg

No26_ADDIMG1.jpg

Any suggestions would help, I'd love to get that vintage look for my daily beater without sacrificing structural integrity.

^the copper look is beautiful. ive always liked it (and the rusted look) ever since seeing it used on motorcycles some years ago. just looks so bare/honest, like you can tell someone and not something made it almost.

someone posted a link on here i think a long time ago to pictures of bikes with the bare steel/copper look, some using wood on parts too.. they were all almost more like sculptures to me than bicycles.. i think it may have been in a different language too if anyone knows what im talking about..

^ i know a couple people that have tried a clear coat and clear powder coats on bare steel and couldn't get it to be rust proof. it wasn't just in thin or missed spots eitehr - rust spots started showing up all over the place.

do you know the brand/processing involved? we couldn't find one that was reliable.

all the parts on my Pogliaghi are kinda shitty and worn out... should I keep the rear and front derr and fill out the rest of the Suntour Superbe pro group (anyone have anything) or should I go all campy?

campy ex - imagine with downtube shifters

full.jpg

og pic of my bike with campy

PogBG1L.jpg

Powder coat not sticking is the powdercoater, not the product usually.

At least with the guy around here, the problem is the powder coat comes off near joints, as he doesn't sandblast and fire scale or brazing flux will prevent the enamel from adhering directly to the metal.

Technically the framebuilder should get all the flux and scale off w/ boiling water and a wire brush, and the coater should sand or media blast the frame and then clean the frame with alcohol just before coating.

Love that Pogliaghi replete w/ Shamals! It would shift better w/ Campagnolo deraillers... The cable pull is slightly different w/ Suntour. Would love it double-plus w/ an era saddle like Flite/Turbo/Rolls/whatever, but that's of course down to if you're willing to go there for the sake of aethetics...

Sooo my rear cog on my steamroller seems to be slipping the slightest bit at times, not so much if I just put resistance on the pedals to slow down but moreso when I skid (which I only do very seldomly like if I've gained speed going downhill (for example, I noticed it going down the "crest" of a bridge the other day)).. I've been intending to look this up but haven't had the opportunity for the past couple of days so Ill throw it out in here for now.. Was it installed wrong? Am I fucking up my rear hub? Is it loose somehow? Do I need to do something?

Also, I keep popping tubes. I'm going to finally get bigger tires/tubes tomorrow like I've been intending to, but still, I've seen way heavier motherfucker than me riding skinnies, am i doing something wrong or what? I've been riding my steamroller here for like maybe 2 months and have already gone through two tubes (both on the back)

remove your cog, grease the threads lightly. put it on tightas fuck with a proper chain whip. follow up with a proper loc ring for your hub (DA works on most, others have proprietary) that ensures cog contact so there is no option for play to develop. sounds like your shit isn't tight. if you don't tighten it, you'll strip it out.

as for your rims, do you have rim tape in there? a lot of the time newer wheels won't come with it. pull out the shitty rubber or blue plastic rim strip and pop on some velox tape (about $5 for a pair). if it's already in there, most likely bad tire installation or bad luck catching glass/etc. fwiw, i ride a rando on the back at 28c and a 23c rubino pro on the front and i weigh 230#. only flats i get are usually glass, which sometimes are a pain in the ass to find if the glass "hides" in the rubber and you don't get it out.

Hmmmm.. Well the first tube that popped was how it all came from the shop, the second tube I installed.. But yes the rims did come

with tape on them.. So I'm still caught on the fence as to whether or not it's my bad or bad luck or what..