Bicyclettes

canice

looking to get a road bike, but I know nothing about bikes. checking at craigslist. I know I need a 54, but other than that nothing really. if someone could look at some bikes I picked out and just tell me if they're good or not, that'd really be appreciated. pm me if you're willing to help. will +rep

thanks

looking to get a road bike, but I know nothing about bikes. checking at craigslist. I know I need a 54, but other than that nothing really. if someone could look at some bikes I picked out and just tell me if they're good or not, that'd really be appreciated. pm me if you're willing to help. will +rep

thanks

Bikesdirect.com, man.

Um, I'd actually avoid Bikesdirect, or be very careful in what you're buying. On a lot of the models, they mix upper and lower class components, and it's only after reading through the actual component list on the bike page that you realize most of your bike has cheapy stuff on it.

Um, I'd actually avoid Bikesdirect, or be very careful in what you're buying. On a lot of the models, they mix upper and lower class components, and it's only after reading through the actual component list on the bike page that you realize most of your bike has cheapy stuff on it.

Well, yeah. You can sometimes get lucky on Craigslist with a pre-owned bike, but if you're on a budget and you need a decent bike, BikesDirect seems pretty good. Then again, my bike has yet to arrive so I can't make any real judgement on the whole thing but I had my dad (who knows a bit about cycling) look over the components of my bike to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off.

Well, yeah. You can sometimes get lucky on Craigslist with a pre-owned bike, but if you're on a budget and you need a decent bike, BikesDirect seems pretty good. Then again, my bike has yet to arrive so I can't make any real judgement on the whole thing but I had my dad (who knows a bit about cycling) look over the components of my bike to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off.

What I would actually do is hover around the fixed gear community gearhead forums online, sffixed, lafixed.com or whatever. They tend to be less inclined towards screwing with people's bikes when selling. But YMMV.

^^It's common to size down if you choose a track bike but it depends on personal behaviour. Iam 57 in roadbike and 54 in trackbike and crossbike

Trackbikes got a shorter wheelbase which will be an advantage by riding in a city and if you want to do some trick stuff.

Roadbikes got a longer wheelbase and sometimes some flatter angles for comfort. It is agile but not like a trackbike.

EDIT: forgot about some technical issues. Most trackbikes need a 120mm wide rear hub and roadbikes 130mm.

have u ever even owned a bikes direct bike before? I did for about 2-3 months, and though my newer bike feels a lot tighter, it was still a decent ride to start out with.

Every other bike I wanted brand new would be at least double the cost, and some with comparable or very little upgrade in components. I would recommend anyone to bikes direct who is just starting out; decent bikes, decent price, and decent resell, which is very important.

alright thanks

i'm going for a singlespeed, dunno what the difference between a track or roadbike would be

Yay! Abandoned my fixed gear conversion in favor of picking up a BMX, I do love my SS road bike though. I have gotten used to climbing hills on it and I must say that the only downfall is the inability to pedal fast enough when bombing large (I mean really big, only been an issue once) hills.

I must say that the only downfall is the inability to pedal fast enough when bombing large (I mean really big, only been an issue once) hills.

bigger chainring should fix that.

either that or go fixed again and you'll have no problem at all

pedaling fast as shit down your hillz

bigger chainring should fix that.

either that or go fixed again and you'll have no problem at all

pedaling fast as shit down your hillz

Naw, other than the one incident, I must say I love my gear ratio as it is (48/18). I really need to use bike dashboard or something to check my top speed, pretty sure it tops out really high already. I don't think I want a fixie for some of the hills I bomb, I love coasting down them too much anyway.