Bicyclettes

canice

I went to a bike store this morning and left with nothing because they had nothing in my size . On the way home saw this bike at a garage sale and got it for 130 bucks. It's a singal speed Miyata. I know nothing about it. Sorry but the camera phone picture.

miyata.jpg

No, its not a joke. Generally a front brake has twice the stopping power according to Sheldon Brown and among other sources I have similar statistics.

But one brake is half as effective as two.

Point is that if it is a freewheel rather than a fixed, a front brake really isn't much to rely on to save your life. And I dunno about ROW but in the UK its illegal to ride on the road with only one brake.

This one is a bit bigger, but I also wanted to get away from the sloping top tube.

Plus this one has clearance for some big tires (42c I think) for winter riding.

Took the bike in to get the steerer cut. Left it with the guys. They got it done same day but called me to tell me my fork is slightly bent :(

Supposedly no big deal and can be bent back to normal...

No, its not a joke. Generally a front brake has twice the stopping power according to Sheldon Brown and among other sources I have similar statistics.

Other people have said it, but I'll reiterate it. While the front brake has more stopping power, stopping with only the front brake is a very bad idea. Obviously, I only ride with a front brake on my fixie because a rear brake is pointless, but on a single-speed or geared bike, you're putting yourself at risk with only one brake.

Also, have you ever had to stop very hard while riding at around 25mph? Let me tell you what happens: I go over my handlebars and my shoes stay clipped into the pedals. That's when I started learning how to skid. :D

I have a pista, mint green. My friend sold me his khs flite 100 because I thought I wanted a black bike, what I really want is all the black parts from the khs to transfer over to my pista so I have a nice green/black theme (it already has black deep vs). Will all the parts (handlebars/chainwheel/crank/seat post/seat) fit with the pista?

I have a pista, mint green. My friend sold me his khs flite 100 because I thought I wanted a black bike, what I really want is all the black parts from the khs to transfer over to my pista so I have a nice green/black theme (it already has black deep vs). Will all the parts (handlebars/chainwheel/crank/seat post/seat) fit with the pista?

Some will some won't (maybe)

your cranks will only fit if your BB shell is the same size and threading, if you're going from an old bianchi there is a chance it's italian threaded and the bottom bracket won't fit onto the KHS. And if your seat tube isn't tthe same size (I'm gong to assume the KHS is a 27.2) then it won't fit. Look up the deeeets.

if you know where i can get one of those KHS aeros in a 58/59, tell me. thanks.

everyone else shut the fuck up about the brake debate. who cares if someone wants to ride one. if they just started, they should, and they should also know that riding fixed, they shouldn't rely on the brake for immediate stops. that's part of how the bike rides. you have to adjust how you ride, not put all your stock in a brake.

if you're convinced your brake is going to stop you immediately while you're going 25-30mph even on a bike that can coast, you're out of your mind. the only thing that'll do that is a disc brake and those things are fun as fuck on a fixed bike!