Moving to Japan in a few months. What can I do NOW to prepare?

soundune

I wrote you a short PM, but I find it more important to write a real reply in public.

First of all, what I found funny was that in a thread about a guy moving to Japan people find it important to support, which is their political standpoint obviously, a guy who have enrolled in the military, did well, and is now being stationed in Japan. I support AND respect Soundune in everyway also, I have several good, very bright and talented friends who have been stationed (Iraq and Afghanistan aswell) and I have no bad thought of soldiers, the military or whatsoever. That the military in Denmark is too small to have any real effect is an entirely different issue, but I won't adress that in an international forum where nobody really have the interest.

Back to the point. MilSpex, stop acting like you're twelve and just read your first book about politics. The nationalism indicated in your thread was - to me - funny, that's why I quoted you and said 'lol'.

After this you totally overreact, making yourself look like a complete fool. You don't know my political standpoint, you don't know what I've supported in the past, and you don't know how I treat danes (or anyone else) who've been stationed as soldiers.

Stop calling me names or other stupid terms, it simply doesn't help your case at all. I am not allowed to have a public opinion that goes against yours? I would be the first to criticize Europe for all the faults we have made, just remember the early 90s, but I still find nationalism - the horrendous feat that we had to have two world wars to learn is the uttermost stupid thing mankind ever created - idiotic. You are fighting for your country, yes, but equally for the safety of Iraqis, and for world safety.

You obviously also misinterpreted me, I totally agree that Soundune is serving his country the way he finds best.

In short, stop acting like a retard and accept different political standpoints. Nobody will ever respect you if react like this everytime someone disagrees with you.

Sorry Sc8crer but I dont find it as funny as you do when someone signs up in the military especially in this world climate. The guy could very well be shipped out to Iraq or Afghanistan (where Navy guys often go in on the ground with the Marines) or the Taiwain straights or Persian Gulf if shit starts up there.

So I`m giving the guy props for serving his country considerably more than someone that just pays taxes. I mean I dont care where you stand politically but the guy is potentially risking his life for his country and I respect that.

I`d be in my country`s military if it was up to me also because I feel like I would be doing something more worthwhile than teaching kids English in Japan.

But whatever..I think you shouldn`t laugh at people who have the guts to make a difference.

What do you do by the way? Aren`t you a model? way to serve your country and the world haha. `lol` I find that pretty funny...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is really that easy to encounter the Yakuza in Japan? Here in the states you'd really have to dig deep to come face to face with a member of the mafia.

if you look for trouble, you'll definitely find it. i would say that it is very easy to encounter yakuza.

Sorry Sc8crer but I dont find it as funny as you do when someone signs up in the military especially in this world climate. The guy could very well be shipped out to Iraq or Afghanistan (where Navy guys often go in on the ground with the Marines) or the Taiwain straights or Persian Gulf if shit starts up there.

So I`m giving the guy props for serving his country considerably more than someone that just pays taxes. I mean I dont care where you stand politically but the guy is potentially risking his life for his country and I respect that.

I`d be in my country`s military if it was up to me also because I feel like I would be doing something more worthwhile than teaching kids English in Japan.

But whatever..I think you shouldn`t laugh at people who have the guts to make a difference.

What do you do by the way? Aren`t you a model? way to serve your country and the world haha. `lol` I find that pretty funny...

I guess this thread for "superbored global shopping experts" has turned into a argument comparing the effectiveness of the Mossad to GSG9 to FSB or to MI-6.

Seems like the last place to start getting judgemental on one's occupation/line of work or one's contribution to mankind.

dont want to stir up a hornets nest but why are us troops even deplyed in japan and korea for that matter?

Well as for Japan, 60 years ago there was this thing called `World War II`. America and the other allies won. Mainly thanks to America and Russia. Allied troops (mainly American) occupied Japan. They gave Japan a new constitution.

NOW American troops are in Japan as guests of the Japanese government. If the government of Shinzo Abe tells them to leave tomorrow they have to. Japan is a non-occupied sovereign nation.

The thing is, Japan will never do that because it saves billions of dollars on its own defence by having 30 000 US troops in the country to help defend it.

American troops are in Korea because 50 years ago there was a war called `The Korean War`. The UN with America fought against commies from North Korea and China. It was a draw. Today North and South Korea are still at war, theres just a truce.

Why are American troops in the region at all?

To balance Chinese and North Korean power and stop China from rolling over Taiwan and North Korea from taking over the entire Korean peninsula.

You sure are dumb.

Good synopsis Milspex. Although we don't see eye to eye on everything, I definitely respect your knowledge.

haha I dont know if you`re being sarcastic or not but isnt most of what I just posted general knowledge for any high school graduate?

Although I guess there are a lot of really young posters on this board, sometimes I forget that.

this thread has taken some strange turns. going back to the original question, my advice is to try to learn to keep open mind about things. because things are a bit different there. it's so easy to become us against them, but that'll probably just make your stay less enjoyable.

but from what i know from visiting the bases like yokota and yokosuka when i used to go to an international school in japan, inside the bases are going to be very different from outside them. if you spend most of your time in the base, it's going to be like you never went to japan.

and roppongi, imo, is distincly japanese. but again, you need to keep an open mind and look into the right places.

but there are also lots of different places you can visit within the country, as well. for different kind of experience.

activities that might help to prepare going there might be, if you haven't already, to watch some japanese movies. i personally enjoyed "lost in translation." it highlighted the surrealness of downtown tokyo. i also like takeshi kitano movies, like "kikujiro" and "hanabi" -- very japanese sensibility. also highly recommended is "tampopo". you might get a little insight into the japanese humor and obsession about ramen.

haha I dont know if you`re being sarcastic or not but isnt most of what I just posted general knowledge for any high school graduate?

Although I guess there are a lot of really young posters on this board, sometimes I forget that.

Dude. I'm being honest. Relax bro. I'm pretty the original poster is a youngin, so the way you broke it down was quite good. Anyways, just relax man!

MilSpex, you are just avoiding responsibility here.

Our disagreeing doesn't warrant you calling me names.

Relax, like djrajio said. Relax. No point in calling people dumb, whether they are 'smarter' than you or not, just chill. It's the internet, I am sure we could be friends in real life, and probably realize we have more stuff in common than against us.

I don't believe in any modern military currently 'serving the world', the military of any country, except the UN, is to ensure that country's interests. Don't be naive.

Finally, your knowledge doesn't make you smarter, even if you think a bit of military knowledge makes you anything at all, you admit it yourself that it's common highschool knowledge. You actually come off rather foolish arguing a point I've never raised.

And current world climate? Please.

The analysist did what such does best - analysed it and came up with the right conclusion.

But dude, why the fuck do you call people names - last time I did, Minya was on my ass in no time ;)

Why do you call me a pussy?

Don't get into flaming from behind the safety of your keyboard. Take it to PM.

Ha hah. Dude, are you joking? Call you a pussy? I said "don't be a pussy" to everyone who was saying how they thought Roppongi sucked because they didn't know shit about it. Pull the stick out of your ass.

also highly recommended is "tampopo". you might get a little insight into the japanese humor and obsession about ramen.

Getting back to the topic, I second this recommendation, if you end up watching this in Japan it will be Tanpopo as there is no singular [m] sound in the Japanese language (not trying to correct you Chicken just giving the guy a heads up). Even if you werent going to Japan Id tell you to watch this. Other than that, I guess most of it has been covered; keep an open mind and realize that just because things are done differently doesn't make them wrong, but just different. In my own experience I tried to bite my tongue alot and withheld the kneejerk reactions that seem to come from a bit of culture shock and eventually I was right at home. Anyway, if you are concerned enough to post here and ask the questions that you're asking Im pretty sure you'll be fine.

(N).

Sc8crer wrote:

I am sure we could be friends in real life, and probably realize we have more stuff in common than against us.

No we couldnt be friends because you say stuff like this:

I don't believe in any modern military currently 'serving the world', the military of any country, except the UN, is to ensure that country's interests. Don't be naive.

Haha, you think I`m being naiive? You actually believe the UN can achieve anything in the World. THATs funny.

You see its interesting because you said something earlier about not believing in nationalism because `we`re all the same`. Well actually we`re not, your views on the UN and the function of the military is a very popular view in Europe, and I would fully expect that kind of idealist talk from a European like yourself.

The rest of the world, including my country Australia and the US live more in reality. Although of course we are diverse societies the majority of people in both countries believe strongly in their national identity and the need to have a military. The majority in America and Australia also believe we should be fighting in Afghanistan.

Finally, your knowledge doesn't make you smarter, even if you think a bit of military knowledge makes you anything at all, you admit it yourself that it's common highschool knowledge. You actually come off rather foolish arguing a point I've never raised.

Knowing is half the battle : )

And current world climate? Please.

Yeah, Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel/Palestine/Lebanon, nuclear proliferation by North Korea and Iran (who openly state they want to wipe Israel off the map), an increasingly technologically advanced Chinese military...that`s what I`m talking about. Keep living in your cave.

I literally forgot what this thread was about...interesting & hilarious turn of events, but I'd like to eventually hear from soundune when he arrives in Japan.

Will be in Tokyo on Christmas up until New Year. Afterwards, 10 hours south.

Last visited Tokyo in '84? 14 & dragged along by folks through Ginza and underground labyrinth was not my idea of fun.

But I wanted to return. Only, I didn't want to be so lost as I was during my inaugural visit. Didn't study Japanese, the cultural system, or even indulge in pop culture via anime, movies, or clothes (until recently).

Instead, married a native Japanese gal during college almost 10 years ago. Looking forward to the shock without the shock.

If anyone would like to meet up, I'll be at Supreme on the 29th to pick up some NeighborhoodxSupreme.

doesnt tanpopo mean dandelion?

i agree that roppongi is a shithole,,,although the Mori art museum is worth a visit,,

so many pricks round there, not a good vibe at all,,,

to whoever said roppongi is actually a good place,,please reccomend some of the less sleazy places to check out...

but there are a couple of good clubs nearby in nishi azabu (yellow.Bullet)...

my advice is to stock up on any medication u might need, and Sudafed!

oh,,and take some decent deodorant too...

my advice is to stock up on any medication u might need, and Sudafed!

oh,,and take some decent deodorant too...

don't know if the sudafed thing was a joke or not but just to makes things clear, Sudafed is highly illegal in japan. a friend of mine almost got deported and his visa revoked cause he got caught at custom with 2 packs of Sudafed. like someone said earlier, there's quite a lot of medicine that's illegal in japan and japanese custom are quite strict about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me revive this thread for a second, please.

I am in the preliminary stages of shopping for language software to help me pick up Japanese. At the moment I've only sampled what Rosettastone has to offer.

Can anyone give suggestions/advice on the topic of language software. Is it worth investing a few hundred dollars in? Mille grazie

don't know if the sudafed thing was a joke or not but just to makes things clear, Sudafed is highly illegal in japan. a friend of mine almost got deported and his visa revoked cause he got caught at custom with 2 packs of Sudafed. like someone said earlier, there's quite a lot of medicine that's illegal in japan and japanese custom are quite strict about it.

Interesting, my doctor recommends I take sudafed once in awhile to clear my sinuses so I always bring a good amount of sudafed with me to Asia. I think I had about 10 boxes with me, and then recently I went to Hong Kong and re-stocked on meds, got about 5 packs of codeine/paracetamol, lots of sudafed, etc. I've never gotten into any hairy situations regarding customs. I guess I've gotten good at flashing my U.S. passport and mumbling.

In Korea we have shit over the counter medicines, they just throw every possible medicine into one cap or something and expect it to work. They're like oriental and western medicines all in one tab, they suck donkey cock because they all cancel each other out. However, we have tons and tons of black market stores that sell stuff bought off U.S. Army posts. Ghetto and reeks of post-war relics, but you get what you can take. I suppose there aren't any stores like this in Japan, reselling BX/Commissary specials?

I played with Rosetta Stone for a while. I think it'd be a great way to learning vocabulary and help you study how to read, but probably not so good for grammar lessons. I'd suggest either taking a class or picking up a text book (I picked up Genki a week or 2 ago). You can start off learning kana on your own. A good resource is www.thejapanesepage.com

I've been through 11 or 12 lessons of the Pimsluer, but it also seems like its more of a supplement to a good book than a replacement.

Sc8crer wrote:

No we couldnt be friends because you say stuff like this:

Haha, you think I`m being naiive? You actually believe the UN can achieve anything in the World. THATs funny.

You see its interesting because you said something earlier about not believing in nationalism because `we`re all the same`. Well actually we`re not, your views on the UN and the function of the military is a very popular view in Europe, and I would fully expect that kind of idealist talk from a European like yourself.

The rest of the world, including my country Australia and the US live more in reality. Although of course we are diverse societies the majority of people in both countries believe strongly in their national identity and the need to have a military. The majority in America and Australia also believe we should be fighting in Afghanistan.

Knowing is half the battle : )

Yeah, Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel/Palestine/Lebanon, nuclear proliferation by North Korea and Iran (who openly state they want to wipe Israel off the map), an increasingly technologically advanced Chinese military...that`s what I`m talking about. Keep living in your cave.

Your stupidity is immense, and all the worlds problems are to blame on your way of thinking.

I hope that for the sake of your petty life and lack of insight that you at some point will realize the wonderful idea of heraclitean wholesight. Or just read a real book, not typical bestseller trash on the bookshelves in english speaking countries. Try Valery, Baudrillard, Rousseau ... Goethe. Whatever. Just learn something other than vague military facts.

I never said that the UN was more effective, just that their military at least is trying to do something 'good', yet even the UN is biased and ruled by countries with interests, so yes, that is naive, but thinking that the US or Australia is helping anything is just ... my god.

National identity, and I repeat myself now, pride and honour are the stupidist ideas mankind ever concieved.

I just find you laughable, you are acting like every other highschool kid with a limited knowledge.

A good resource is www.thejapanesepage.com

^ I used to visit this page often, and I thought it was pretty good.

I also have a space that provides some very useful links as well on my MSN Space.

I still got a long ways to go, but when I first started learning Japanese, I used websites as a sole means of education. You wouldn't believe it, but you really can learn quite a lot of Japanese and engage in basic conversation without even buying a book. Some of these site are literally online books.

Going to Japanese/English chat rooms is another great way to sharpen your skill and pick up a few modern phrases as well (I always ask for the "old man gags" though). You might even make friends that you can meet up with.

• 2 months later...