Moving to Japan in a few months. What can I do NOW to prepare?

soundune

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being military in japan is a great deal.

hey, have you considered going to okinawa? red could probably tell you how dope it is. i've met many military people in okinawa who love it there so much, they never want to leave.

but tokyo is defnitely the shit. can't say you've been to japan without going to tokyo.

• 1 month later...
Get ready to become Charisma Man (a derogatory term, actually...it'll make sense once you get there). Stay away from Roppongi, no matter what your fellow gaijin pals tell you...Roppongi sucks ass.

Hahah. This is soooo true. Nothing but old men and hookers in Roppongi. What a piece of trash.

Get ready to become Charisma Man (a derogatory term, actually...it'll make sense once you get there). Stay away from Roppongi, no matter what your fellow gaijin pals tell you...Roppongi sucks ass.

i don't know why roppongi gets such a bad rap. sure theres some wacky shit, but there are alot of great places to eat, club, etc. it is also one of the epicenters of "entertaining" business.

sentiments likes "roppongi sucks ass" are so unwaranted.

the comment about there are only hookers and old men is so fucking ignorant.

Roppongi is just Americatown. No one from the states (or even Europe for that matter)needs to go there. Honestly. All that's there is shitty pubs, TGI Friday's, Hard Rock Cafe, and terrible shopping centers (Roppongi Hills ftl).

Roppongi is just Americatown. No one from the states (or even Europe for that matter)needs to go there. Honestly. All that's there is shitty pubs, TGI Friday's, Hard Rock Cafe, and terrible shopping centers (Roppongi Hills ftl).

Yep.

Roppongi is the biggest shithole I've been to.

Arriving in Roopongi, you will naturally meet a lot of people who tell you how great it is.

These people, not all, but most will be the likes that live abroad but actually can't let go of the feeling of their home country.

English teachers, military dicks(no offence), but 19 year old marines that can't handle their beer and think every one is against the USandA on a typicla weekend.

Shit pubs,average clubs(unless you like the best of 2005-2006 hip-hop RnB) sluts, illegal immigrants and rip-off strip bars means they'll continuously come back for more.

It's not a cool place.

Anyone that thinks Roppongi is anywhere near a good hangout for weekends in a big city like Tokyo, please list these reasons below.....

Anyway, to the threadstarter, it would be good practice to get some Japanese learnt asap and continue in Japan. You will be in an Englsih speaking enviroment, so it's easy to get in your comfort zone and get lazy on studying.

Not saying you're lazy mate;), just that's the way it is sometimes.

The other thing that bothered me about Roppongi is that you come accross a bunch of Japanese people who try to act like Americans. The waitress in the restaurant I went to there (don't ask how I ended up there) kept calling me "dude" and "bro." It was really just embarrasing.

It's kind of like when you go to a Chinese restaurant in the States and a bunch of white people bow to the hostess as they leave the restaurant.

Hmm....Roppongi sounds a lot like Wan Chai in HK. Should have known it would be ghetto when we saw signs welcoming a USS carrier group that just came to port. That and the bands of pimple-faced podunk ensigns wandering about on their first time out of smalltown, USA picking up nasty Filipino girls working there.

Shit pubs,average clubs(unless you like the best of 2005-2006 hip-hop RnB) sluts, illegal immigrants and rip-off strip bars means they'll continuously come back for more.

Um, this is exactly why Roppongi is fucking awesome.......

If you aren't an idiot and let some Nigerians rip you the fuck off, some of the strip clubs there are damn good. We had a friend who was staying at my hostel who worked at Seventh Heaven in Roppongi and he let us know the scoop. We got in for a damn good deal (all you have to do is know how low they will go) and got several decently priced dances which were damn near sex by several of the occupant Brazilian strippers..........Roppongi has tons of places; you just have to know where to go and not be a damn pussy.

Lots of ignorance on this board I agree jmatsu. Roppongi is just like any entertainment district in Asia. You're gonna have the bad with the good but to say the entire place is a shit whole IS a load of crap. There are a ton of great small bars and clubs and restaurants that many Japanese frequent that the typical foreigner wouldn't know or find out. That's the magic of Tokyo. Only people who know about the places know. So to Aeros and mickey holmes, you'all probably got suckered. Next time probably have a native Japanese who knows the area take you around, I guarantee the experience will be different. And for the comment on how the waitress kept calling you "Bro", imagine how it is for the waitress every week serving foreigners trying to spit game with fucked up "Kon-ban-was" and "kawaii nes". It goes both ways. What really annoys me is when foreigners come to Tokyo and think they own the city and are on their high horse. When you go into Roppongi, ur going into Yakuza territory. Remember that. Be polite and curtious and remember what it really is is a turf war between gangs trying to get your money.

If you aren't an idiot and let some Nigerians rip you the fuck off, some of the strip clubs there are damn good. We had a friend who was staying at my hostel who worked at Seventh Heaven in Roppongi and he let us know the scoop. We got in for a damn good deal (all you have to do is know how low they will go) and got several decently priced dances which were damn near sex by several of the occupant Brazilian strippers..........Roppongi has tons of places; you just have to know where to go and not be a damn pussy.

it's still odd white people can't go to local joints though..

Why do you call me a pussy?

Don't get into flaming from behind the safety of your keyboard. Take it to PM.

england - do you still work in a hostel in tokyo, if so which one?

Also, here is a question I've been thinking about:

I will be in the navy but I don't want that to by my entire life outside of work (trust me i dislike the steriotypical serviceman as much as others) - as much as possible I would like to meet local japanese or other international friends.

So, where can i go in tokyo to meet other foreign residents and/or local japanese that want to meet international people. Like ex-patriot clubs and things of that nature (for young people, of course!)

I would really appreciate any advice on this topic! grazie

england - do you still work in a hostel in tokyo, if so which one?

Also, here is a question I've been thinking about:

I will be in the navy but I don't want that to by my entire life outside of work (trust me i dislike the steriotypical serviceman as much as others) - as much as possible I would like to meet local japanese or other international friends.

So, where can i go in tokyo to meet other foreign residents and/or local japanese that want to meet international people. Like ex-patriot clubs and things of that nature (for young people, of course!)

I would really appreciate any advice on this topic! grazie

there are alot of online classifieds, free-paper classifieds, and so-called "friendship" events. i have never had reason to use this, but i noticed that alot of the classified are not just for sexual encounters. some have specific interest groups and events, i.e. biking, hiking, dining societies, etc.

just look in some free magazines and find the classifieds. metropolis is one of the biggest and is made by gaijin for gaijin.

When you go into Roppongi, ur going into Yakuza territory. Remember that. Be polite and curtious and remember what it really is is a turf war between gangs trying to get your money.

Haha, yeah right, like Yakuza would ever touch an American..

and Soundune, I`m envious of you man, serving your country, doing something worthwhile AND living it up in Tokyo..Sounds like you will but make sure you get the most out of it while you`re there coz I guess theres a good chance you could be shipped out during your time there also..

Haha, yeah right, like Yakuza would ever touch an American..

They don't need to touch to get you wear it hurts: your wallet. I know a American friend who got harrassed by yakuza one night into paying 3,000 dollars for three drinks because they didn't like him and his crew. They wouldn't allow him to leave until he paid. Don't be ignorant milspex, its real.

there are alot of online classifieds, free-paper classifieds, and so-called "friendship" events. i have never had reason to use this, but i noticed that alot of the classified are not just for sexual encounters. some have specific interest groups and events, i.e. biking, hiking, dining societies, etc.

just look in some free magazines and find the classifieds. metropolis is one of the biggest and is made by gaijin for gaijin.

Good advice jmatsu. I'd also recommend to try your local ward office/public community center. Usually they'll have free community classes and clubs that you can participate in. Also, learn Japanese! It'll open huge doors and let into a world most foreigners will never get to experience since the majority of Japanese aren't good at English. I've met a plethora of diverse people just because I could speak Japanese and in my experience most Japanese that are initially weary of foreigners tend to open up and take you more seriously if you've shown a level of committment to the language...

Meeting young foreigners is the easiest thing ever assuming you look decent, but then again you're on SF, so that should be alright. Just go out to good parties and don't be afraid to approach people, usually you'll end up drunk at 7am eating ramen with a bunch of new friends. Just be somewhat careful with some of the girls, some are just after foreigner and those are usually pretty bad.

They don't need to touch to get you wear it hurts: your wallet. I know a American friend who got harrassed by yakuza one night into paying 3,000 dollars for three drinks because they didn't like him and his crew. They wouldn't allow him to leave until he paid. Don't be ignorant milspex, its real.

Well I`ve got friends who got into confrontations with yakuza too but seems like your friend s first mistake was taking their bullshit seriously.

An Australian buddy of mine was lining up outside Atmos for some sneakers, all the homeless dudes were there, cutting in front as usual..him and his buddies said `fuck this` and when some homeless dudes closer to the front went to get coffees from a vending machine him and his buddies walked straight up into the gap. The hobos got back and started going crazy, went and got their Yak boss. The boss was yelling shit at them in Japanese, my friend just said he didnt speak Jap, then the Yak went and got his English speaking girlfriend and she was like `you better move or something bad might happen to you`. My friend is just like `whatever bitch`, never backing down, never taking them seriously..They stormed off all mad and guess what? Nothing happened.

Same thing your buddy should have done, just ignored it and not backed down.. I mean I dont know many Westerners that would have trouble staring down a Jap, even Yakuza.

I dont know your friends exact situation but the fact is very few foreigners are ever attacked by the Japanese yakuza..Ever heard of many Americans being killed in roppongi clubs? Didnt think so.

Haha. Look, I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this topic. Obviously an example of a private encounter in a bar unseen from public eye and a public "sneaker" incident are very different circumstances. Plus, they could have been lower ranking normal street thugs for all we know, right? Anyways, I don't want to derail the purpose of this thread but I'd recommend you reading these two books to give you better perspective on the close relations of the US and Japan regarding the yakuza:

http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Underworld-Times-American-Gangster/dp/0375724893

http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-Japans-Criminal-Underworld-Expanded/dp/0520215621

Both are very good books but the first more so because it deals with the history of the American mofia boss who used to rule Roppongi before Yamaguchi, et al. took over...

lol i love this

Fuck you Eurotrash, he`s signed away a few years of his life to, if needed, go and fight wherever his nation`s leaders tell him too. IE, HE IS SERVING HIS COUNTRY.

I know priviledged Euro fucks like yourself have no concept of this.

Aren`t you from Denmark or some shit? If so there`s people your age from your country fighting the Taliban right now. Do you have the same lack of respect for them?

Fuck you.

So how is the fact that he`s serving his country funny to you? or do you still somehow deny he`s serving his country?

Hey, don't hate on the Europeans.

Soundune, I really suggest you go and visit Kyoto sometime when you get the chance.

I'd try and book a hotel there because you'll never properly see Kyoto in just 1 day.

Miyajima Island is also awesome, you should definetely check in to a classic hotel there, it's great!

I don't really know much about Tokyo but you should be able to find a lot of international people at the National Olympics Memorial Youth Center.

Fuck you Eurotrash, he`s signed away a few years of his life to, if needed, go and fight wherever his nation`s leaders tell him too. IE, HE IS SERVING HIS COUNTRY.

I know priviledged Euro fucks like yourself have no concept of this.

Aren`t you from Denmark or some shit? If so there`s people your age from your country fighting the Taliban right now. Do you have the same lack of respect for them?

Fuck you.

So how is the fact that he`s serving his country funny to you? or do you still somehow deny he`s serving his country?

I wrote you a short PM, but I find it more important to write a real reply in public.

First of all, what I found funny was that in a thread about a guy moving to Japan people find it important to support, which is their political standpoint obviously, a guy who have enrolled in the military, did well, and is now being stationed in Japan. I support AND respect Soundune in everyway also, I have several good, very bright and talented friends who have been stationed (Iraq and Afghanistan aswell) and I have no bad thought of soldiers, the military or whatsoever. That the military in Denmark is too small to have any real effect is an entirely different issue, but I won't adress that in an international forum where nobody really have the interest.

Back to the point. MilSpex, stop acting like you're twelve and just read your first book about politics. The nationalism indicated in your thread was - to me - funny, that's why I quoted you and said 'lol'.

After this you totally overreact, making yourself look like a complete fool. You don't know my political standpoint, you don't know what I've supported in the past, and you don't know how I treat danes (or anyone else) who've been stationed as soldiers.

Stop calling me names or other stupid terms, it simply doesn't help your case at all. I am not allowed to have a public opinion that goes against yours? I would be the first to criticize Europe for all the faults we have made, just remember the early 90s, but I still find nationalism - the horrendous feat that we had to have two world wars to learn is the uttermost stupid thing mankind ever created - idiotic. You are fighting for your country, yes, but equally for the safety of Iraqis, and for world safety.

You obviously also misinterpreted me, I totally agree that Soundune is serving his country the way he finds best.

In short, stop acting like a retard and accept different political standpoints. Nobody will ever respect you if react like this everytime someone disagrees with you.