Moving to Japan in a few months. What can I do NOW to prepare?

soundune

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's interesting, because from a nonjapanese friend's perspective it is not necessarily that easy. he often complained that not every station's maps were available in english. i do know what fuckin station he was at though!

Hmm. I just carried around the English map in my pocket to find the connecting trains, etc. Didn't pay much attention to the actual maps posted in the stations. The difference I was mostly referring to that made it alot easier is that when you were standing on the platform and needed to know which side of the track to get on, the sign had an arrow pointing to the name of the next stop so you knew for sure which way the train was going. In NYC, it wasn't as easily laid out.

Guest jmatsu

The difference I was mostly referring to that made it alot easier is that when you were standing on the platform and needed to know which side of the track to get on, the sign had an arrow pointing to the name of the next stop so you knew for sure which way the train was going. In NYC, it wasn't as easily laid out.

this helps if you have some sort of internal compass, or at least a general idea of the area. anyway my friend was an idiot for not carrying around a map. he just called me every 5 minutes and asked me random questions.

it took a while getting used to the train system in tokyo. but, after you get used to it, it's pretty convenient. i wish we had something like the yamanote line in NYC that would connect the bronx, manhattan, brooklyn and queens. it's such a fucking hassle to get from brooklyn to queens and vice versa. there is no reason why you should have to go through manhattan to get to the neighboring borough.

still, it was a hard to figure out how to get around in tokyo--and i speak japanese. i can only imagine how hard it is for someone fresh of the boat.

in new york, there are so many mistakes you can make, costly mistakes. also, they are constantly changing the train routes. plus, the express/local system, weekend schedules, etc. i've been living here for 8 years and i still fuck up sometimes.

Guest jmatsu

i guess that's why the mobile gps system is way more advanced there than here, too.

?

i don't know too many people who actually own these (i'm not talking automobiles, put personal handheld/cel phone units). the complaint is usually about the powersource. i heard these are slow too. they are not consistently "real time" enough.

Guest jmatsu
man, the navi systems in japan are awesome. also, it's great you can get real time train schedules, best train routes, etc. over here, you can't even get a decent map on your phone.

the data references are great. i find the gps system is just kind of slow when you are actually walking and trying to pinpoint a specific location.

the data references are great. i find the gps system is just kind of slow when you are actually walking and trying to pinpoint a specific location.

on 3G phones, it's actually not so bad, like i was really jealous of the people with AU phones cause the gps system (easyNAVI it's called if i remember correctly) is really cool. not to mention that the gps mail thing (where you send you location or the location you want to meet somebody over e-mail) is really useful. but i mean, the reason all gps products (phone, in-car system) are so well developed is cause you seriously need them...

my phone is a kyocera WIN(I think)-capable phone

the GPS worked really well but I had maps for most places

like the resolution of the LCD / camera is so good that i find my destination

on mapion or googlemap and take a photo of it to browse on my phone.

whilst were on the subject of phones in jp..

any requirements in getting one if your a foreigner... ie. need a jp bank account or anything?

what kinda phone contract/options are there?

need to get one when im out.. want one with decent map/gps, mobile email etc. thats about it.

T

any requirements in getting one if your a foreigner... ie. need a jp bank account or anything?

need to get one when im out.. want one with decent map/gps, mobile email etc. thats about it.

T

you need your gaijin card that's it (and also be over 20, but i guess that won't be a problem). Docomo and AU are the biggest company and the most popular. probably the biggest reason for getting a company or the other is what your gf use cause you'll be able to get a familly plan and save 35% which is very appreciated since monthly plan are hella expensive. AU has gotten a good reputation for being innovative and having really cool design on the phones. DoCoMo is the bigger, better known company and some ppl say is a little more expensive (i'm still not convinced about that). phones are pretty much as cool as the one from AU, plus most of them now are gsm compatible so you can use them everywhere in the world (AU use a different 3G standard so only a few phones will work outside japan). Docomo has better english content and handset support, but it's still a small small fraction of what's available in japanese. , softbank (previously Vodafone and before j-phone) is getting better, but they had tons and tons of problem with their 3g network so i would n't get a phone from them right now. my gf sister and her boyfriend are with Willcom and they really like the company, plus they both had w-zero phones which are really cool.

contracts are a year long, but you can break them for only 3000 yens so i wouldn't worry about that.

i was with AU the first time i lived in japan and with DoCoMo last year and was satisfied with both companies, years and years ahead of what we have in Canada (where we are still in cellular stone age...)

T

You don't need a bank account, you can just go pay your bill at your phone provider's store. For some reason though, they wouldn't let me get my own phone, didn't really understand why but they said it's becuase I'm 19 and all that shit. Pretty much all phones come with email and gps (never seen anyone use it) and all the other features.

Getting a japanese bank account can really be a pain in the ass, good luck.

you need your gaijin card that's it (and also be over 20, but i guess that won't be a problem). Docomo and AU are the biggest company and the most popular. probably the biggest reason for getting a company or the other is what your gf use cause you'll be able to get a familly plan and save 35% which is very appreciated since monthly plan are hella expensive. AU has gotten a good reputation for being innovative and having really cool design on the phones. DoCoMo is the bigger, better known company and some ppl say is a little more expensive (i'm still not convinced about that). phones are pretty much as cool as the one from AU, plus most of them now are gsm compatible so you can use them everywhere in the world (AU use a different 3G standard so only a few phones will work outside japan). Docomo has better english content and handset support, but it's still a small small fraction of what's available in japanese. , softbank (previously Vodafone and before j-phone) is getting better, but they had tons and tons of problem with their 3g network so i would n't get a phone from them right now. my gf sister and her boyfriend are with Willcom and they really like the company, plus they both had w-zero phones which are really cool.

Softbank is getting big here becuase they did this really cheap promotion. Both Softbank and Wilcom have shit reception though.

Guest jmatsu

he should just have a japanese friend make a contract. there are promotions in which you can buy a phone for like 100yen. without a doubt, au has better reception then docomo.

got my phone for free.

those 400 dollar phones have like one-seg (digital TV),

DVR, surround sound and all the bells and whistles...

got my phone for free.

those 400 dollar phones have like one-seg (digital TV),

DVR, surround sound and all the bells and whistles...

Most of these services are a complete waste. Sure digital TV, video phone call conferencing, and downloadble music is cool but the service fees are pretty hefty and the content is shit. What good is digital TV if you only got a couple channels and shitty programming or video phone if you have no one to talk to? I got a free phone too cuz in the end all I ever use my phone for is text message and voice anyways.

Most of these services are a complete waste. Sure digital TV, video phone call conferencing, and downloadble music is cool but the service fees are pretty hefty and the content is shit. What good is digital TV if you only got a couple channels and shitty programming or video phone if you have no one to talk to? I got a free phone too cuz in the end all I ever use my phone for is text message and voice anyways.

I'm the same. I have never even used my internet browser on my phone.

In fact, looking to get a new phone. recommendations? er, i guess I'll take it to another thread.

So wait... someone under 20 can't get a cellphone?

What do foreign kids do when they stay there long term, like for example on exchange trips?

they need a paper from their parents. one guy i was studying with last year jumped a year so he was only 19 when we got there and had to get a paper from his parents so sign-up for a cell phone, was quite humiliating for him as we like all went together to get a phone and he was turned down cause of his age. very very few foreign kids under 20 stay there long term without their parents so i guess it don't really happen that often

and i know it's hard to imagine, but you can also live without a cellphone (but i have to admit, i would probably never be able to do that)...

Guest jmatsu

And what are the chances that i might run into a yakuza giving me problems in Tokyo or in Osaka (shopping the superfuture shops like Vari, 2nd, ect.) And what should i do if they try to jack me?

http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo

the odds of this are highly unlikely. yakuza will not try to "jack" a random foreinger.

in the unlikely case that yakuza or anyone tries to give you trouble, find the police, run to your embassy, or in the worst case scenerio get on all fours and grovel/bow at their feet. this is known as dogeza. you probably won't get it right (i have never seen a nonjapanese get the form down correctly), but the mere act will usually make your unlikely oppressor simmer down.

if i were a yakuza and see a non-japanese person doing a dogeza, id think the person who's apologizing is making fun of me. hence, i will take out my glock and shoot him in the head.

Guest jmatsu
if i were a yakuza and see a non-japanese person doing a dogeza, id think the person who's apologizing is making fun of me. hence, i will take out my glock and shoot him in the head.

maybe if you're like oyabun or something. i think that chinpira would be flattered.